approval as a civilized method - merely turn around look back at passenger
behind you and state you are about to recline the seat slowly till you reach
its limits.

The other is the 'Slam Bam' dump your seat back right down as fast as
you can pinching fingers computer audio cords spilling drinks and food
askew and perhaps causing the tray table to launch its contents any
which way from normal -or- even make physical contact with the person
behind while they are reaching for something underneath the seat or writing
a note on their tray table - dozens of other scenarios.

Me thinks the be nice method is the best of the two.
Now I will go to a neutral corner and expect to clobbered by comments !
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
There's no need to feel guilty. You paid for the seat, you can recline as you want.

I generally don't recline as well, and I understand why you didn't want to make the situation worse.

Being hit in the head with a backpack/purse/etc like that is absolutely ridiculous considering it was over you reclining your seat. I'm not a confrontational person at all, but I would've confronted her about that and definitely taken it to the FA and probably pressed assault charges. Unfortunately we're in the world these days where people are that full of themselves.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
What was her facial expression when you landed and stood up to walk of the plane? I assume you looked at how this nut head was?

-ok
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:31 pm

It's called a laptop for a reason, it's not a seatback traytop. The seats recline for a reason. Some people think the world revolves around them and when it doesn't they are prone to temper tantrums. Given the health condition of OP it sounds like the lady is lucky. Her fit throwing could have worsened the situation.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As soon as she hit me deliberately with her bag, I would have held onto the bag and called for the FA. You could have been seriously injured. This goes beyond kicking your seat and swearing.
+1 INEXCUSABLE Slam bam thankyou ma'am

EDIT - IBTL - so many seat recline threads - I bet it is Carnarsie that locks this thread - the bet is a Sapphire Martini
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Nahh. Why would he spoil the fun?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by tanglin
Delta coach - it's impossible to use a laptop there. Barely in EC also.
Add barely in FC on the A320 and 763's too

As another poster said, it's always nice to be considerate and look behind before reclining
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond
I used to never recline my seat, but as I got older and dealt with back stiffness it became a necessity.
I think the right way to recline is by slowly leaning back. That way the person behind you has plenty of time to move stuff around. I only recline about 1/2 way so I doubt i ever get the person behind me annoyed.

Then again I mostly sit in EC or exit row with recline so we got that extra space.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this ... but still it's nice to preflight the landing zone
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:03 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Just give her a parachute and kick her out of the plane problem solved
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I really like the "SLAM BAM". You are lucky you are flying in the US. Nothing is worse than flying domestic in China. I have seen and experienced things you can only dream of.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
When I recline my seat, I always make sure to do it very slowly. That gives the person behind me ample notice that it's happening and can move laptops if needed.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Just give her a parachute and kick her out of the plane problem solved
Why waste a good parachute?

O/H
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by southernmom
I was on a flight last week from LAX - BNA. I decided about 2 1/2 hours into the flight to take a nap, so I let my seat back. I usually don't do this, but have had some health issues and really didn't feel well. When I did this, the woman behind me immediately began cursing, slammed her computer down on her tray table and then slammed her tray table closed 3 times as hard as she could. She never said anyting to me, just continued to curse. Then she she took her bag out from under her seat and threw it on the top of my seat, hitting me in the head. She kept this up for about 10 minutes. I never acknowleged her and never moved my seat. I know that I will be beaten up for not putting my seat up, but I chose to ignore her. I would have moved it up had she asked and been at least reasonable about it. I thought about getting the FA involved, but decided that it might make the situation worse. I thought about telling her that I am having heart issues, which is true, but figured she wouldn't care. I just needed to tell my story - thanks!
When the other person is actually hitting you and otherwise causing a disruption at that level you most definitely should get the FA involved. Let the pax hit the FA and walk off the plane in handcuffs.

IBTL
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You did absolutely nothing wrong. You have every right to recline your seat. You're a better man than me. I would have had the woman charged with assault.
She's also a better woman than you.

After repeated slamming of the tray, or being hit, I certainly would have got the FA immediately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.