Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion upgrade requested not showing up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, DL Plat

Please forgive me as I have searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I'm a FO and booked tickets in V class for my family (four total) from MCO-SLC. When I look at My Trips, I can see the Medallion Upgrade Requested when I'm flying alone on other trips, but I don't see it for this particular trip where we are all booked together. Wouldn't it still be requested?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BACH777
Please forgive me as I have searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I'm a FO and booked tickets in V class for my family (four total) from MCO-SLC. When I look at My Trips, I can see the Medallion Upgrade Requested when I'm flying alone on other trips, but I don't see it for this particular trip where we are all booked together. Wouldn't it still be requested?
You can only have one companion upgrade on your reservation and if you have 3 non-status companions you won't be able to request an upgrade for everyone.

Call and ask to split your PNR. I would want one PNR for you, a second one for your upgrading companion (so they process separately), and a third for the 2 remaining passengers. By doing this, however, the others will lose any FO benefits you may have, so consider this if you are checking bags. There are a lot of reports that if you check in together at the airport you'll still get a free bag for everyone, but it's not guaranteed. Make sure to secure any "preferred seats" before you split, since they will usually stick (barring an equipment swap, etc.).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
You can only have one companion upgrade on your reservation and if you have 3 non-status companions you won't be able to request an upgrade for everyone.

Call and ask to split your PNR. I would want one PNR for you, a second one for your upgrading companion (so they process separately), and a third for the 2 remaining passengers. By doing this, however, the others will lose any FO benefits you may have, so consider this if you are checking bags. Make sure to secure any "preferred seats" before you split, since they will stick (barring an equipment swap, etc.).
Thank you! They are all non-status. I'm not sure I understand part of this though...Wouldn't the 2nd passenger be on my PNR so that they would be eligible for the companion upgrade?

Good idea on the securing preferred seats now.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Thank you! They are all non-status. I'm not sure I understand part of this though...Wouldn't the 2nd passenger be on my PNR so that they would be eligible for the companion upgrade?

If you leave the second passenger on your PNR you will both clear with the other companion upgrades, assuming there are even any upgrades left at that point.

The strategy suggested by the first poster who replied would give you the greatest chance of clearing, as separating yourself on your own PNR would mean you clear with other FO's, and ahead of any companions. So if there was one seat left you would have a shot at it, as opposed to if you and your companion were on the same PNR.

Hope that helps..
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist

If you have one non-status passenger on your PNR you will automatically request an upgrade for both passengers (however you will drop from an FO position to a companion position, essentially putting both of you at the bottom of the list). If you have two or more non-status passengers on your PNR I don't believe you can request the companion upgrade for one without splitting off the second/third/etc. passengers onto their own PNR.

If you do nothing to your reservation nobody, including yourself, will ever make it on the upgrade list. So if the upgrade opportunity is worth more than any logistical issues that may result of having 2 or 3 PNRs, then you have to split.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

That all makes sense and helps a great deal. We are flying out on a ridiculous early morning flight on Thanksgiving day so FC is wide open at the moment. I may take the chance and separate us into two PNRs so we have a chance at two FC seats. Our flight coming home is the Tuesday night after Thanksgiving and that is open at the moment as well. They are both non-stop flights between MCO-SLC. Thank you again for your input!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Emirates Silver
RE: upgrade requested not showing up

Upgrade Requested was not showing on my ticket either as a DM. I just flew from ANC to SAN via MSP last week. I had 4 family members (non status) on my PNR so they can get free baggage and free Premium Economy seats. What I did was to check in with the family, drop off baggage and than go to the gate agent and have them remove me from there PNR. Since I was the only DM on the flight, I was upgraded at the gates.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I would want one PNR for you, a second one for your upgrading companion (so they process separately), and a third for the 2 remaining passengers.
Is it needed to have a third PNR to separate the upgrade-eligible companion from the other two companions? I thought not but could be wrong.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE

Call and ask to split your PNR. I would want one PNR for you, a second one for your upgrading companion (so they process separately), and a third for the 2 remaining passengers. By doing this, however, the others will lose any FO benefits you may have, so consider this if you are checking bags. There are a lot of reports that if you check in together at the airport you'll still get a free bag for everyone, but it's not guaranteed. Make sure to secure any "preferred seats" before you split, since they will usually stick (barring an equipment swap, etc.).
It's worked for me, getting free bags for my family traveling with me. I just get all our seats, and then split the PNR and request an upgrade. I don't do it often, because I often fly alone. We all get free bags, free EC (being a GM), and I give my upgrades to my family members and they think it's a real treat.

I do have a question, though. I have a multiicity itinerary and on the last leg, my SO is flying back home with me. I'm a GM, she has no status (but has a SM#). I called to get her EC with me on the flight, and also asked for both of us to be put on the UG list. It's an early afternoon SAT-SLC, so even though we'd clear separately, I think we have a decent chance of UG. However, on my itin it says my medallion UG has been requested, but on hers it doesn't say anything about an UG request. Is this normal, or should I call back to make sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.