Wiki Posts
Search

DL 468 JFK-TLV diverted to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
DL 468 JFK-TLV diverted to CDG

Any one know what's up or how to find out what happened?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshua3
Any one know what's up or how to find out what happened?
I suspect it has to do with the rocket the landed near the airport, leading Delta to cancel its TLV service 'indeffinitely' — probably not wanting a MH17 situation.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Edited to add: Yes, it was diverted because of the rockets near the airport:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124548
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
They're doing what everyone should do .. staying far, far away!

Last edited by EZEDoesIt; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:23 am Reason: removed redundant URL
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CNN us saying that debris associated with the rockets was discovered near the airport. It diverted due to "security concerns."

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
CNN Writes: "Delta flight to Israel diverted to Paris after reports of a rocket or debris near Tel Aviv. Plane departed from JFK. "
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO after MH17, it's understandable that the pilots or DL operations decided to be cautious.

CNN is saying that the airport is still open and there are departures happening.

DL is apparently saying that DL flights will not take off from TLV either.

BTW, CNN seems to have a reporter on the DL flight that diverted to CDG. It will be interesting to hear what was announced on board and what happens to the passengers at CDG.

Do Israeli passports need visas for France/Europe (schengen)?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:36 am Reason: More typos
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CNN us saying that debris associated with the rickets was discovered near the airport. it diverted due to "security concerns."
Rickets? I know what you meant.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Delta has suspended service to TLV. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...el-unrest.html
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 am

Sorry

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:37 am Reason: Duplicate deleted.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Rickets? I know what you meant.
Corrected.

ADDED. CNN is showing the flight path as having gone as far as the southeastern corner of Greece before doing a 315 degree turn and heading back to Paris. (I had the impression from initial reports that pilots had seen the debris, but this obviously isn't true.)

ADDED: CNN says there's an AF plane about to land at TLV. Also a BA flight has just departed to TLV. CNN is criticizing the inconsistency, but if people are aiming rockets, I would expect USA carrier aircraft to be viewed differently, as either a bigger target or as a riskier target that would be more likely to lead to huge consequences.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:50 am

The have landed at CDG. CNN has pictures of people deplaning in the jetway. The reporter from the flight is on the ground and on the phone live. The announcement was "out of an abundance of caution"....AF has cancelled it's TLV flights too.

El Al is still flying. Perhaps LCC Wyzz (?) is still going to TLV from WAW. LH and other carriers are considering what to do.....
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm just wondering what the logistics are for the pax traveling to TLV.

With the TLV flights on other airlines canceled (except for El Al), what would DL offer?
- Be accommodated on an CDG-TLV flight on LY?
- Allow the pax to declare a trip in vain and be flown back to the US with a full refund?
- Something else?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Smaug

With the TLV flights on other airlines canceled (except for El Al), what would DL offer?
- Allow the pax to declare a trip in vain and be flown back to the US with a full refund?
- Something else?
It would've reasonable for someone in these circumstances to decide to wait in Paris for a few days to see how the situation evokes. Then they could determine whether to continue to TLV on AF or declare a trip in vain and return to the USA. I wouldn't expect DL to cover meals and hotel while they wait.

OTOH for someone from Israel, they might want or need to return home ASAP, so they would prefer El Al or alternatively, flying as close as possible and then taking land/sea transportation, although visa issues would likely limit these options.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Smaug

- Something else?
According to my brother who had worked as a DL Customer Service supervisor there is no airline term "a trip in vain".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.