Search

Delta messenger delay delay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
Delta messenger delay delay

Minor rant.....
ATW-ATL 6am depature delayed 1.5hr due to crew rest reqirements.
They knew this last evening. Why the delay in notification until 4:30 this am?
Was up at 3:15am for 1.25 hr drive to airport. Halfway to airport when call came in, could have used extra hour+
Sleep!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by schmidlapp
Minor rant.....
Was up at 3:15am for 1.25 hr drive to airport. Halfway to airport when call came in, could have used extra hour+
Sleep!
My flight to London last Friday was delayed all of 18 minutes (i.e., no consequence). On Saturday mid morning I got a text message informing me of the delay (i.e., hours after I had arrived in London).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Minor rant.....
Sleep!
Nonetheless, you still are required to show up for the scheduled departure time. (unless they've changed the rules) They always could find a crew and leave on time in which case showing up an hour later is no defense.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Minor rant.....
Sleep!
There are settings in your account regarding when Delta will send you messages or call. You might have that set to not have Delta call before a certain hour.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Nonetheless, you still are required to show up for the scheduled departure time. (unless they've changed the rules) They always could find a crew and leave on time in which case showing up an hour later is no defense.
+1
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Nonetheless, you still are required to show up for the scheduled departure time. (unless they've changed the rules) They always could find a crew and leave on time in which case showing up an hour later is no defense
Well two things...

1. This is Appleton, WI. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are quite limited on crew availability here.

2. I've had this issue come up before flying from BTR. When I could have been notified much sooner and made alternate plans from MSY, LFT, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I would expect ATW is not actually served by Delta but instead the regional carriers (Endeavor, Skywest, Expressjet etc). At those outposts the regional carriers often do not update immediately when a flight arrives late at night. Unless Delta scheduling is involved, the Delta system will not know of the problem until the morning when the system is updated.

I fly out of an outpost with similar issues. It's not supposed to happen - the outposts and regionals are supposed to follow Delta rules. My solution has been to report the lack of protocol to Delta and question the station manager as to why his direct reports failed to follow them. If the station manager believes that he will be held accountable for the actions of his staff he will (eventually) ensure that the rules are followed.

And I'm with you - when the 11 pm arrival actually arrives at 3 am there is no chance whatsoever that it will depart at 7 am - and at the outposts served only by regionals there is no other crew available. I'd like to spend those extra hours somewhere other than an outpost airport.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Minor rant.....
Sleep!
At least you are still getting messages.

But, as a sleep aficionado, I sympathize with you.

I have poor luck with 9:00 am departures out of PHL. I often get my first (sometimes only) heads up of the delay when I check the status board just before the escalator up to security.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Update on privy post....
I commented on DL.com and got a very nice personal apology
Along with 3700 RDM's.
10 segments in past 10 days, end result only a couple minor delays
Into final destinations. Nice job DELTA....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

That should have read as previous post not privy.
Spell suggest is frustrating sometimes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.