Search

Highly desirable EC seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Highly desirable EC seats

As DL advertising tells us, EC seats should be highly desirable as they offer significant benefit. In fact, the superiority of an EC seat is lauded to the point that one might infer that only a damned fool would pass up the opportunity.

Accepting that, if there is an aisle EC seat available, and a DM has "aisle seat" documented as his seat preference, and if he is flying alone... why does the DL computer system not automatically assign an EC aisle seat to the DM who has access to EC as a stated free benefit?

Standing to the side of the path to avoid the trampling stampede of stockholder responses....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I am not a stockholder; but it makes sense to me that if you dont' choose the seat yourself when booking; the system will not automatically give you an EC seat--since...well; they actually can make money on those seats from non or lower status pax.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it will doubtless be a forthcoming enhancement to Delta's world-class IT
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Thanks for stopping by!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I would not want this as not all EC seats are created equal.

A few examples...

764 - Row 15 is not considered better than row 30 by many.
MD90 - a seat farther back may very well be better than 10C
763ER - rows 20/21 (exit) have great leg room but are close to the lav which is ok with some and not others.

All discussed here to a great degree: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
I would not want this as not all EC seats are created equal.

A few examples...

764 - Row 15 is not considered better than row 30 by many.
MD90 - a seat farther back may very well be better than 10C
763ER - rows 20/21 (exit) have great leg room but are close to the lav which is ok with some and not others.

All discussed here to a great degree: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html
There are equally many non-EC seats that could be undesirable for similar reasons. In general the average EC seat is better than the average non-EC seat.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthew64832
There are equally many non-EC seats that could be undesirable for similar reasons. In general the average EC seat is better than the average non-EC seat.
Spot on ^
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
The biggest sad irony of EC seats, at least in my experience, is that non-elites never pony up for the upgrade fee, so they end up being filled by last-minute standby passengers. As such, an elite sitting in EC ends up surrounded non-medallion standby groups who didn't pay for EC.

Not that this should normally be a big deal, but I always seem to end up with families and children who missed a connection surrounding me in EC coming on the plane last minute fighting over overhead space, causing a commotion, and not being terribly polite since they spent the past 12 hours hoping to get on the flight.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stencil
The biggest sad irony of EC seats, at least in my experience, is that non-elites never pony up for the upgrade fee, so they end up being filled by last-minute standby passengers. As such, an elite sitting in EC ends up surrounded non-medallion standby groups who didn't pay for EC.
Actually, I am often seeing the bulk of the EC seats gone at 2 weeks before flight day... perhaps some middle seats left, but not wholesale availability.

Perhaps different markets, different results.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL; HH

Not that this should normally be a big deal, but I always seem to end up with families and children who missed a connection surrounding me in EC coming on the plane last minute fighting over overhead space, causing a commotion, and not being terribly polite since they spent the past 12 hours hoping to get on the flight.
Even better is when you do pony up for the upgrade, and then those last to board decide to re-seat themselves in EC for free, and the flight attendants don't do anything about it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Actually, I am often seeing the bulk of the EC seats gone at 2 weeks before flight day... perhaps some middle seats left, but not wholesale availability.

Perhaps different markets, different results.
Definitely different experience here. I do a lot of transcon ex-JFK (LAX, LAS, SFO) and EC is rarely full even at t-24. It opens up even more as they clear upgrades and then gets filled by standbys and self-upgraders.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by igobyterry
Even better is when you do pony up for the upgrade, and then those last to board decide to re-seat themselves in EC for free, and the flight attendants don't do anything about it.
Gotta love that euphoric feeling of knowing you don't have anyone next to you at door close only to be deflated by Upgrade McUpgradestein.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Definitely different experience here. I do a lot of transcon ex-JFK (LAX, LAS, SFO) and EC is rarely full even at t-24. It opens up even more as they clear upgrades and then gets filled by standbys and self-upgraders.
There's the difference.

I fly into flyover country.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Thumbs up

Today, it seemed to be a hot bed for the NRSA/last minute standby crowd...

I actually asked a GA @ MSP about moving to an aisle in EC from my aisle further back. I luckily was given 10C last minute, but was amongst other standby/NRSA (i know because dad was a pilot and announced it..)

I do think that elites should have first option on these seats if they open.

My issue is that I think there are too few of these and DL's rules for booking them are a little lax. one big family can wipe out most of the good seats, esp. Out of the MCO.

AA seems to have more MCE seats, for now.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by igobyterry
^this, though they have gotten better lately with enforcing it, especially on the TPACS that I've seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.