Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Opinions on just how "tight" the Delta 76W J seat is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on just how "tight" the Delta 76W J seat is?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I would imagine the only people that may have problems with the 767 are the extra-tall, extra-obese, or extra-large-footed(?). I have the above-described 36 waist, and I am 6'1" (with sized 13 shoes) and love the 767 BE seats.
Perhaps that's because your frame of reference is mostly domestic and not international on a quality service airline.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SFO777
Perhaps that's because your frame of reference is mostly domestic and not international on a quality service airline.
I was addressing the comfort of the 763 on DL. That was the question. OP wasn't asking for comparison of services...was asking for reviews of the DL 767 BE seat. I flew it recently HNDLAX, DTWLHRDTW, and DTWFRADTW. It is a fine seat. The OP did not ask for a comparison of international quality service airlines...simply a seat. Save your rattlesnake triggered strike for something to which it applies.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
I typically fly this on SVO-JFK and was always OK with the product. I think the group's assessment has been fair that it is a good seat but you need to take your shoes off for sleeping, as the foot compartment is too small. Overall, its a comfortable trip.

And then I started flying the new 77Ws on American (LHR to LAX and LHR to JFK)... Honestly, it is night and day. Unless I am in a rush and really need to take the direct, I probably prefer to make a connection in LHR, due to how much better the seat is on AA. Especially if I am flying to LAX(as opposed to Aeroflot), considering the international WiFi that allows me to be stay plugged in.

To be fair, 7 of 8 flights on AA's new birds have been delayed, two of them substantially. Not to mention that the F&B and overall service on Delta is also noticeably better.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I was addressing the comfort of the 763 on DL. That was the question. OP wasn't asking for comparison of services...was asking for reviews of the DL 767 BE seat. I flew it recently HNDLAX, DTWLHRDTW, and DTWFRADTW. It is a fine seat. .
And one thinks it's a fine seat if one doesn't know any better. It is far from a fine seat, IMO.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:04 pm

And one thinks it's a fine seat if one doesn't know any better. It is far from a fine seat, IMO.
Your opinion is valued.

Mine should be as well. (for reference, in the last calendar year, I have flown international F in JL, QF, NH, EK, and private - I know my way around premium products)

For the stage-lengths of this bird, it is fine. People make such a fuss over US-EU flights - they are short. Hardly worth the fuss.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:20 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
I also do not sleep well on moving vehicles.

Also, as a fidgeting tosser-turner, I have found the cubby very constraining. That may not be a problem for you.

We will be taking 330 front cabin seats to AMS next month. Since I tilt the bed and use lotsa pillows at home, I'm hoping to tilt the seat to 160-170 and get a real chance at actual sleep.

Good flying!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by LexPassenger
I also do not sleep well on moving vehicles.

Also, as a fidgeting tosser-turner, I have found the cubby very constraining. That may not be a problem for you.

We will be taking 330 front cabin seats to AMS next month. Since I tilt the bed and use lotsa pillows at home, I'm hoping to tilt the seat to 160-170 and get a real chance at actual sleep.

Good flying!
You will find the cubby roomier on the 330 than the 767
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Thank you, all, for your input.

It sounds like the consensus is that for folks like me (size, shape, sleep habits, expectations and priorities), the seat on Delta's 76W should be fine. I do have other options, but they all have significant shortcomings, so I was thinking that the Delta flight would be my best bet - as long as it would provide a decent sleeping environment. It sounds like it will.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Flew this SCL-ATL in January. I will never willingly fly it again. Maybe the single seats are better but the middle pair are terrible. The UD of the 747 is much better and the only DL international product I might think about flying.

FWIW, my report on our DL flight.
Honey, you'd better get used to it, AA is putting the same things into their 767's and seemingly "industry standard" for the 767 Business Class experience...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
I've been on this plane 4 times in the last 2 weeks and am flying it again this next weekend to ATL from PDX. NOt sure if this is common but apparently the PDX-NRT flight is fed from this widebody that flies in from ATL (and back) during most days of the week in the summer. I keep picking this flight because of the upgrade and subsequent arrival in comfort!
I choose this flight any time I have a chance. I've also flown this config TATL very comfortably. I'm a normal sized girl and love these seats. And I've flown plenty of other airlines in international J. Being 5'6" with size 7.5 feet makes it easy to get comfy. But I think these seats are just fine.

Glad I do since I spent 2+ hours in one on the ground once because of mechanical. (Then flew 4+ hours to ATL)

Last edited by MissJ; Jul 20, 2014 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Honey, you'd better get used to it, AA is putting the same things into their 767's and seemingly "industry standard" for the 767 Business Class experience...
The main difference is that AA is only planning on keeping about 30 of these flying around past the next 18 months. The 777s and 787s, and A330s will vastly outnumber the 767 in the future AA fleet, and IMO, offer/will offer a much better product.

These seats are alright, but as others have said, are rather constrictive. My favorites are 1A/D which offer the much roomier footwell area and I never had galley/lav noise be a problem. The biggest problem for me with these seats is that they just aren't very comfortably padded. I equate the feeling to that of laying down on a doctor's table. If you can score an additional duvet to use as padding it certainly helps and is more conducive to sleep.

IMO, Air Canada handled J on the 767 better than any other N. American airline but offering the 1-1-1 herringbone setup. This, to me, is preferable over the AA/BA/DL/UA options on their 767s.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:55 pm

I think the seats are very hard -- I too use the comforter as padding. And I find them constricting. I hate not being able to bend my knees. And I think it slopes toward the bottom.

Give me a 777 any day.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On many of these seats, the footstool cushion can prevent the bottom part of the footrest from rising enough to be fully flat. Sometimes you need to pound that footstool cushion and then press the flat bed button again on the motorized seat controls.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Not just the 767s. Finnair and Swiss use the same seats on the A330, with the primary difference being that not every seat has aisle access.

Originally Posted by cmd320
The main difference is that AA is only planning on keeping about 30 of these flying around past the next 18 months. The 777s and 787s, and A330s will vastly outnumber the 767 in the future AA fleet, and IMO, offer/will offer a much better product.
Wake me when that happens. In the here and now, AA still lags terribly on product.

Originally Posted by cmd320
My favorites are 1A/D which offer the much roomier footwell area and I never had galley/lav noise be a problem.
The first row is markedly better due to the footwell. I'd say the first row is a very good product. The others are just good. Regardless, all are largely competitive on the routes they serve and, to my mind, are preferable to competing products that do not offer direct aisle access. The A330s, etc. are certainly better, however.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
As others have mentioned 1A/D on the 767s are great seats due to the larger footwells.

I prefer those two seats to the A330 seats to be honest, which feel more constricted in footspace. The main advantage of the A330 seats is the ability to get out of them more easily in any configuration, even with the tray table down. The window 767 seats are great for privacy and comfort, but it's a tight squeeze getting out.

I say this as a somewhat smaller than average sized adult male.

AZ has the same seats as the DL 767s in all of its Magnifica class cabins, but the footwell is open on the side, giving it a much roomier feeling. It's a pretty good ride IMO.

But give me 7A on a DL 777 any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.