Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with miles less than award mileage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Pay with miles less than award mileage

I am sure others have seen this phenomena (I could not find the thread on it) but whilst doing an award travel I got 55k miles and $85 in taxes while PWM came out to be 55k miles and $78. I guess it is a sign of things to come.

I sure wish Delta would just get on with it - this screwing around is now way too old. Oh and I got a new low for the website functionality. On the "shopping->flights" page I entered a departure city, a destination city, a departure date, and a return date. Then search. Guess what the website gave me:

Error:

You must enter a departure city.
You must enter a destination city.
You must enter a departure date.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 18, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I wanted to buy an October ticket to SIN and PWM was 4 times the miles as a BE award ticket that itself was 350K.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
It has always been the case that PWM could be cheaper than awards. Have no idea why you see this as some "sign of things to come".

And what is DL screwing around with?

And why does it matter which is cheaper? Probably a bad use of miles either way.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Oh and I got a new low for the website functionality. On the "shopping->flights" page I entered a departure city, a destination city, a departure date, and a return date. Then search. Guess what the website gave me:

Error:

You must enter a departure city.
You must enter a destination city.
You must enter a departure date.

I've been getting those kinds of errors a lot over the last week also. Doesn't happen every time but often enough to be very frustrating.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It has always been the case that PWM could be cheaper than awards. Have no idea why you see this as some "sign of things to come".

The fact that they're witholding saver level award inventory, and attempting to limit the redemption value of miles. Hence, the sign of things to come being the award chart going away altogether and a switch to FBATR.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Isn't PWM just based on the current rev fare with 1 mile = $0.01?

This makes it possible to just pay for part of ticket with miles if you want.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by javabytes
The fact that they're witholding saver level award inventory, and attempting to limit the redemption value of miles. Hence, the sign of things to come being the award chart going away altogether and a switch to FBATR.
"a sign of things to come...?"
When has it been any different? DL has always had very thin "saver" award availability.

I just did a search to check the PWM option... found something strange...

CAK-BOS fare of $81 or PWM 25k miles

Same day, but different flight/different fare class:
CAK-BOS fare $116 or PWM 10k miles + $16

Last edited by bajrbajr; Jul 19, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
One thing to consider on PWM vs. Award tickets is the ability to change them...

PWM are treated like revenue tix (and appropriate change fees) while award tix come with the $150 change fee that is waived for PM/DM.

If the mileage for an award ticket is close, I'd consider it, especially if I think a change could be required.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by rwoman

PWM are treated like revenue tix (and appropriate change fees) while award tix come with the $150 change fee that is waived for PM/DM.

If the mileage for an award ticket is close, I'd consider it, especially if I think a change could be required.
that hadn't occurred to me... excellent point!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

Yes but if it is an seat in F and as long as at least $1 of the base fare is paid with cash you get all your MQM's and RDM's (well at least until 2015 when you won't get RDM's anymore).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
"
I just did a search to check the PWM option... found something strange...

CAK-BOS fare of $81 or PWM 25k miles

Same day, but different flight/different fare class:
CAK-BOS fare $116 or PWM 10k miles + $16
This has how PWM has always worked for fares under $100.

For fares less than $100:
•Redeem 25,000 miles to cover the total fare

For fares equal to or greater than $100 and less than $250:

•Redeem 10,000 miles for $100 off the total fare or
•Increase the redemption to 25,000 miles and increase from that point in increments of 5,000 miles ($50 off) to cover the total fare
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Also - aren't PWM not upgradeable where for a PM/DM the Award tickets are IIRC?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
I am getting tired of Delta screwing around changing this, then changing that. If they want to change the program or service change the damn thing at the being of the year and be done with it for the year. I.e. the last change no more snacks with the HOOU.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I am getting tired of Delta screwing around changing this, then changing that. If they want to change the program or service change the damn thing at the being of the year and be done with it for the year. I.e. the last change no more snacks with the HOOU.
Again, WHAT DID THEY CHANGE?

When PWM was first implemented you could find such fares, and there is nothing that presumes otherwise.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Again, WHAT DID THEY CHANGE?

When PWM was first implemented you could find such fares, and there is nothing that presumes otherwise.
If anything, I think DL improved PWM when they permitted MQM earnings on F/J PWM tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.