Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of GUC for Companion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Use of GUC for Companion

T&C's state that the companion must be in the same reservation. My travel is work related so booked through our TA. I would like to take Mrs. Dachief with me and use a couple GUCs. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by DaChief
T&C's state that the companion must be in the same reservation. My travel is work related so booked through our TA. I would like to take Mrs. Dachief with me and use a couple GUCs. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
AFAIK, you cannot do so without being on the same PNR.

Asked the DM desk about it a few weeks ago since my sister and I are flying HKG-NRT-LAX on different reservations.

You could try hanging up and calling again if they refuse, but not doing so is in line with the GUC T&C.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Does anyone know if same cabin is strict? If I'm booked in J and companion booked in Y can I use a GUC to upgrade the companion?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Orion316
Does anyone know if same cabin is strict? If I'm booked in J and companion booked in Y can I use a GUC to upgrade the companion?
Per the T&C, you have to be on the same PNR which, if already in different cabins, I suspect you're on separate PNRs.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You'd have to call and try to find an agent who will help/allow it. I did this a couple years ago and took several tries and it was eventually allowed due to the booking for work in BE making it impossible to have the companion on the same PNR.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
You'd have to call and try to find an agent who will help/allow it. I did this a couple years ago and took several tries and it was eventually allowed due to the booking for work in BE making it impossible to have the companion on the same PNR.
It would be impossible to have a paid business class ticket and an upgraded business class ticket in the same PNR (if I understood your correctly). They used to bend the rules frequently in the old days (about being on the same PNR to use Certs), but I have had zero luck recently, although I am sure there is someone who will chime in that they have had it happen. T & C is very clear.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct, mine was a paid BE ticket and companion booked in Y separately. No way they can be on same PNR which is why someone allowed it eventually. That was a couple years ago however and I haven't tried since. I still think its a horrible rule as it basically kills this situation where a work ticket must be purchased separately from the companion that you want to bring along and upgrade.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
Correct, mine was a paid BE ticket and companion booked in Y separately. No way they can be on same PNR which is why someone allowed it eventually. That was a couple years ago however and I haven't tried since. I still think its a horrible rule as it basically kills this situation where a work ticket must be purchased separately from the companion that you want to bring along and upgrade.
I agree. I guess the only good thing is that it eliminates some people (with separate PNR's) from taking up an upgrade space that an PM or DM could have had. I guess there has to be limitations somewhere.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond + 1MM, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rwoman
AFAIK, you cannot do so without being on the same PNR.

Asked the DM desk about it a few weeks ago since my sister and I are flying HKG-NRT-LAX on different reservations.

You could try hanging up and calling again if they refuse, but not doing so is in line with the GUC T&C.
I currently have a companion wait listed on a different PNR for a GUC. First call to Diamond Desk was successful.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I've had success too, just be excessively pleasant and you may get a surprising result
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I have a situation related to this, but a little different. I am planning an international trip with a friend next year but we will be traveling from different cities as I am in Florida and he is in Michigan. Of course we are going to be on the same international flight to/from ATL. Has anyone had luck using GUC for a companion when they are on a different ticket and have different domestic origin?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:35 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tigerstraveler99
I have a situation related to this, but a little different. I am planning an international trip with a friend next year but we will be traveling from different cities as I am in Florida and he is in Michigan. Of course we are going to be on the same international flight to/from ATL. Has anyone had luck using GUC for a companion when they are on a different ticket and have different domestic origin?
I would guess so long as you apply the GUC from ATL-XXX only you should be fine. If you tried to each start in different destinations I think that would probably raise more suspicions. The DM desk is usually pretty helpful with these kinds of things if you're nice and pleasant.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
[deleted - misread the recent posts]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.