Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reschedule flights issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:21 am
Original Poster

reschedule flights issue

I'm looking for some help or advice from the friendly people here.

I have booked flight on virgin/delta with the following route:
MEL-LAX-ATL-PUJ (this takes about 28hours) on Dec 22.
then open jaw
MEX-LAX-MEL

Here is the problem: Delta have rescheduled LAX-ATL and ATL-PUJ legs. This means I arrive and depart to/from ATL at the same time which is impossible. Delta do not have any other flights later in the day. So they have effectively stopped offering the route I paid for.

I only booked with Delta on the basis that it was less than 29hours to get to PUJ and the flight times were good for me.

An overnight in ATL is not appealing and will make the trip ~50 hours! A terrible start to my honeymoon. Another airline offers MEL-SYD-SCL-Panama-PUJ but it costs $12k (I paid $3k).

In the intervening period I have purchased the following flights from elsewhere
PUJ-HAV
HAV-CUN
MID-MEX

What are my right / options? What should I ask for?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by daboy
I'm looking for some help or advice from the friendly people here.

I have booked flight on virgin/delta with the following route:
MEL-LAX-ATL-PUJ (this takes about 28hours) on Dec 22.
then open jaw
MEX-LAX-MEL

Here is the problem: Delta have rescheduled LAX-ATL and ATL-PUJ legs. This means I arrive and depart to/from ATL at the same time which is impossible. Delta do not have any other flights later in the day. So they have effectively stopped offering the route I paid for.

I only booked with Delta on the basis that it was less than 29hours to get to PUJ and the flight times were good for me.

An overnight in ATL is not appealing and will make the trip ~50 hours! A terrible start to my honeymoon. Another airline offers MEL-SYD-SCL-Panama-PUJ but it costs $12k (I paid $3k).

In the intervening period I have purchased the following flights from elsewhere
PUJ-HAV
HAV-CUN
MID-MEX

What are my right / options? What should I ask for?
For a schedule change greater than 90 minutes, you are entitled to a full refund for the flights you purchased from Delta. As you observed that is not an attractive option, research what flights you would like to use. On an MEL-LAX-ATL-PUJ itinerary, ATL is not your only option for a stopover, you could spend time in LAX instead.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to worry about 90-minute changes. If your itinerary becomes "impossible" as it has, you are entitled to cancel for a full refund.

But also be careful of your new itinerary transiting (?) HAV. You may want to pay careful attention to how that is handled from a documents standpoint. Your first line check should be through IATA's database, TIMATIC, available without cost to you at:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks all

they have offered a refund or 40+ hr itinerary with 13hrs in lax. They refused to provide hotel at lax. Will research my options.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks all

they have offered a refund or 40+ hr itinerary with 13hrs in lax. They refused to provide hotel at lax. Will research my options.
did you try asking for other routes? Perhaps AM operated w/ DL code or via MSP/DTW etc. Find what you want and ask them to fix it unless you want the refund.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I don't want the refund. I want to get there.

I would like the Qantas flight but it is $12k and not a partner airline so no chance.

I think the realistic option is to fly MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK-SDQ then airport xfer to PUJ.
Flights are delta / virgin.

Do you think they will allow re-route? Will they pay for ground xfer to correct airport?

Last edited by daboy; Jul 19, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I don't want the refund. I want to get there.

I would like the Qantas flight but it is $12k and not a partner airline so no chance.

I think the realistic option is to fly MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK-SDQ then airport xfer to PUJ.
Flights are delta / virgin.

Do you think they will allow re-route? Will they pay for ground xfer to correct airport?
They will likely waive the change fee on a reroute but will still probably hit you for the fare difference, if any.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL is extraordinarily unlikely to pay for "extras" such as hotels & airport transfers. It is easier for DL to simply refund the ticket. It would be similarly highly unlikely that DL will reroute you on other carriers because this is so far in advance, e.g., this isn't IRROPS.

You could take a look at other options which do not change carriers and propose those. Or, take the refund and book what you want.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
They will not pay for a ground transfer.

They will refund you or rebook you on the best available DL option.

That's it.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
They will not pay for a ground transfer.

They will refund you or rebook you on the best available DL option.

That's it.
Sadly, for advance schedule changes like this that is correct. They have no obligation to get you to your destination in less than 40 hours (or 55 hours, or one week, etc.)

Day of travel IRROPS is different.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

So after much frustration, I booked a MEL-STI itinerary. I'm a little upset but I guest it's the best of many bad options. This will also take an extra couple of hours to get there (and I'll be 4 hours drive from my intended destination).

Delta also gave me the pleasure of rescheduling my return route. It will now take an extra 2 hours to get home.

Just booked another trip to the USA. Not on Delta!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
So after much frustration, I booked a MEL-STI itinerary. I'm a little upset but I guest it's the best of many bad options. This will also take an extra couple of hours to get there (and I'll be 4 hours drive from my intended destination).

Delta also gave me the pleasure of rescheduling my return route. It will now take an extra 2 hours to get home.

Just booked another trip to the USA. Not on Delta!
When did you book this, out of question? If you weren't aware, VA will be ceasing operations on MEL-LAX this October and would throw all of what you've planned into flux. I hope your new arrangements take this into account as your itinerary otherwise might not have caught up with this announcement yet.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:13 pm

I'm sorry it's not working out for you as planned. But I'm not aware of any airline who would put you on a non partner airline for a flight in 5+ months in advance. Plus that is plenty of time for the other airline to have a schedule change that would make this even worse.

On the plus side plenty of time for another schedule change to get you back on track.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I saw the article about virgin ending their mel-lax route. I am flying via Syd in the updated itinerary so it's not an issue.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:03 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You should have not bought new tickets but seeked a solution with delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.