Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOUR: DL to fly to MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
RUMOUR: DL to fly to MEL

According to a few sources, DL is likely to replace VA on MEL-LAX this coming September, which is less than 2 months away - what do you guys think? Would you use DL on MEL-LAX when theres the option of QF's A380 and soon UA's 789?

I think it might be a little too soon for September but it seems plausible.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by soorox
Would you use DL on MEL-LAX when theres the option of QF's A380 and soon UA's 789?
Direct aisle access at every Business class seat for one (UA and QF are both 2-2-2 in J).

In economy, significantly more seat width (18.5 inches on DL, versus 17.5 on QF A380 and 17.3 on the UA 787).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:44 am

September does seem a little too soon to be starting service, especially with the fall long-haul schedule being seemingly finalized at this point. But I would be neither surprised nor upset (I've never flown VA) to see this change happen at some point, especially if DL adds more frequency to the route.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Seems too late to me to be making this announcement, but I suppose it would work.

I seem to recall a recent thread commenting on the use of the 77L, and that the only routes where a 77L was needed was ATL-JNB, ATL-DXB, and LAX-SYD. Doesn't DL have more 77L's than what is needed to support those three routes, so LAX-MEL would be a way to use up excess capacity?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Seems too late to me to be making this announcement, but I suppose it would work.

I seem to recall a recent thread commenting on the use of the 77L, and that the only routes where a 77L was needed was ATL-JNB, ATL-DXB, and LAX-SYD. Doesn't DL have more 77L's than what is needed to support those three routes, so LAX-MEL would be a way to use up excess capacity?
You're thinking in terms of aircraft range but another consideration is aircraft being the right size in terms of numbers of BE, EC and coach seats as well as cargo capacity.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
This is good to hear. I flew on a 006 ticket on the VA codeshare last year.

Due to the GUC option this year I booked my trip next week to MEL with a connection in SYD so I can hopefully sit up front. (Wide open at the moment)

I'm wondering if this will US seasonal switching between DL and VA due to the opposite seasons.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens

Unless the plane is scheduled as a dog leg from SYD.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Apparently announcement by DL today or tomorrow - not sure if its about MEL or not though.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
According to a few sources, DL is likely to replace VA on MEL-LAX this coming September, which is less than 2 months away - what do you guys think?
I think VA has already established that there is demand for <weekly LAX-MEL, has a few tickets sold, and a 777-200LR is easier to fill than a 777-300ER. I hope it's incremental DL-operated service to Australia and DL on LAX-SYD will see no reduction.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Apparently announcement by DL today or tomorrow - not sure if its about MEL or not though.
Where did you hear that?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by mersk862
In economy, significantly more seat width (18.5 inches on DL, versus 17.5 on QF A380 and 17.3 on the UA 787).
This ^ - I try to fly airlines who acknowledge that I have shoulders and knees.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cdubose98
September does seem a little too soon to be starting service, especially with the fall long-haul schedule being seemingly finalized at this point. But I would be neither surprised nor upset (I've never flown VA) to see this change happen at some point, especially if DL adds more frequency to the route.
Yes, it is too early to tell. They won't start MEL service anytime soon. I think they have wait more than 6 to 8 months. They don't want to be upset with QF again.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:47 pm

According to a few sources, DL is likely to replace VA on MEL-LAX this coming September, which is less than 2 months away - what do you guys think? Would you use DL on MEL-LAX when theres the option of QF's A380 and soon UA's 789?

I think it might be a little too soon for September but it seems plausible.
The rumor popped up when the JV with DJ/VA stated.

What I have heard is that Delta would take over LAX-MEL allowing VA to go from 4x weekly to daily on LAX-BNE, Virgin does 3x weekly LAX-MEL and 4x weekly LAX-BNE. (also BNE is the large VA hub vs MEL)
maybe UA going non-stop will finally push DL/VA to go daily on LAX-MEL.

However, 1) I don't see it happening in September. Maybe, just because its a JV route, so not really starting a new flight, but I would think that if DL was going to go higher than 3x weekly they would give it more time than 2 months. 2) I don't think this will have an effect on LAX-SYD. Virgin doesn't have the aircraft to go double daily and I can't see DL/VA going less than 2x daily. Also can't really see them wanting to add more capacity at the moment.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:25 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
So if this happened, would VA go daily on BNE and DL go daily on MEL?

Wouldn't DL need 3 777's for this? Maybe if it's just a seasonal thing during the Northern Winter it could work...there's slack in the widebody fleet to potentially move pieces around. I can't see how they'd do it needing 3 aircraft during the Northern Summer.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPGabe
So if this happened, would VA go daily on BNE and DL go daily on MEL?

Wouldn't DL need 3 777's for this? Maybe if it's just a seasonal thing during the Northern Winter it could work...there's slack in the widebody fleet to potentially move pieces around. I can't see how they'd do it needing 3 aircraft during the Northern Summer.
Delta expects to receive the first A330 with high MTOW in Spring 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.