Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL AMEX Plat MQM Benefits Maxed/Upgrade to Reserve - Is this what I can expect?

DL AMEX Plat MQM Benefits Maxed/Upgrade to Reserve - Is this what I can expect?

Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
I don't think you can get 3 boosts from one card in a year, which seems to be what OP was told? It would be interesting to try to get that in writing.
I was not explicitly told that but rather 2 bonuses - one from a personal DL Amex Plat and one from a personal DL Amex Reserve. Likely gonna ask for it in writing just to make sure...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by woody125
I was not explicitly told that but rather 2 bonuses - one from a personal DL Amex Plat and one from a personal DL Amex Reserve. Likely gonna ask for it in writing just to make sure...
Those are still considered the same account, though, since it is an upgrade from plat to reserve and acct number doesn't change.

According to the T&C, if you upgrade before hitting $50k, then you can get the 15,000 MQM boost on reserve at $55k. Or, you can get a biz card and get two more MQM boosts.

But, I think if you hit 50k on the plat and get the miles, you can't get any more this year on that acct.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't you request a new card account rather than upgrading a current account? In other words, get a Reserve card but keep your DL AmEx Plat card?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't you request a new card account rather than upgrading a current account? In other words, get a Reserve card but keep your DL AmEx Plat card?
Unfortunately, I believe you can only hold one DL personal amex (and probably only one DL biz Amex) at a time.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Unfortunately, I believe you can only hold one DL personal amex (and probably only one DL biz Amex) at a time.
You can indeed hold multiple personal DL Amex cards as long as they are different products (e.g., DL Platinum Amex and DL Reserve Amex). The same is true for the small business DL Amex cards. So a person could hold 1 personal DL Platinum + 1 personal DL Reserve + 1 business DL Platinum + 1 business DL Reserve and earn Miles Boosts on all 4 cards.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lamont2718
You can indeed hold multiple personal DL Amex cards as long as they are different products (e.g., DL Platinum Amex and DL Reserve Amex). The same is true for the small business DL Amex cards. So a person could hold 1 personal DL Platinum + 1 personal DL Reserve + 1 business DL Platinum + 1 business DL Reserve and earn Miles Boosts on all 4 cards.
Have you done this before? I'm genuinely curious because when I called to upgrade plat to reserve, it is in the T&C that they read to me that you can only hold one personal DL amex product (or only earn boost on one, I forget). But, I've heard rumor that reserve is considered to be outside of this. And, I've never searched the written T&C for this.

We only spend about $70k/yr on personal, so having one DL reserve pretty much maxes out my possible MQM bonus.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Have you done this before?
No, but others on FT have.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
No, but others on FT have.
Others have reported it, let's be clear. I believe the rules only say that for each category (personal/biz) you are only supposed to be able to earn 2 Boosts per calendar year. I don't know whether having a personal plat and a personal reserve at the same time is prohibited or not though.

To be fair, what the rules say and what actually occurs through the automated systems frequently vary quite a bit, though.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by matthew64832
Others have reported it, let's be clear. I believe the rules only say that for each category (personal/biz) you are only supposed to be able to earn 2 Boosts per calendar year. I don't know whether having a personal plat and a personal reserve at the same time is prohibited or not though.

To be fair, what the rules say and what actually occurs through the automated systems frequently vary quite a bit, though.
The rules are that you can only earn 2 Miles Boosts per product, not per category. If you have a DL Platinum or Reserve Amex, just read the T&C and you'll see.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:49 am

The rules are that you can only earn 2 Miles Boosts per product, not per category. If you have a DL Platinum or Reserve Amex, just read the T&C and you'll see.
There is a thread on this here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...same-year.html

Officially, can't get boosts on two personal cards in one year, but some have gotten away with it. Also, many who say they have both plat and reserve actually mean this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

Which is allowed. You can have Amex plat and delta reserve at same time.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:19 pm

Officially, can't get boosts on two personal cards in one year
The cardholder agreement clearly states that you can earn annual Miles Boosts on each type of Delta Amex:

Card Members may be permitted to have more than one Options, classic, Gold, or Platinum or Delta Reserve SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express account; however, Card Members are only eligible to receive one annual Eligible Spending bonus for each type (i.e., Options, classic, Gold, Platinum or Reserve) of Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card account from American Express.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

"however, Card Members are only eligible to receive one annual Eligible Spending bonus for each type "

Exactly. One bonus for each card type if you have multiple cards. Only plat and reserve give MQM boosts, thus max two MQM boosts per year. And, this would actually be fewer MQM than just having reserve and getting the two 15,000 boosts from that.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:41 pm

"however, Card Members are only eligible to receive one annual Eligible Spending bonus for each type "

Exactly. One bonus for each card type if you have multiple cards. Only plat and reserve give MQM boosts, thus max two MQM boosts per year. And, this would actually be fewer MQM than just having reserve and getting the two 15,000 boosts from that.
Please go to the cardholder agreement and read the definition of Eligible Spending bonus.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:01 pm

Straight from the cardholder agreement terms for miles boost

"You can only get one Medallion award each year for each SkyMiles account you have with Delta"

According to this, getting MQM boost from both personal and biz on a single SM account shouldn't technically be allowed. But, I know a lot of people who get away with that. I have yet to meet anyone who has gotten away with MQM boost on two personal cards in a year, and was told directly by Amex rep that this is not allowed. (although I guess you could potentially have plat and reserve, keep the plat MQM for yourself and gift the reserve MQM, and still be okay with the T&C . . . I didn't know that before, but wouldn't find much use from it).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:56 pm

Straight from the cardholder agreement terms for miles boost

"You can only get one Medallion award each year for each SkyMiles account you have with Delta"
I really don't know what you are quoting from because that language does not appear in my cardmember agreement. I also searched Google for that sentence and got 0 results. Furthermore, "You can only get" seems too colloquial to be fine print. Here is what my personal Platinum Delta Amex cardmember agreement says:

"You can receive only one Miles Boost award for each Card Account. If addition, if you have more than one Platinum Card Account linked to the same SkyMiles account, you are eligible for only one Medallion award each year."

NB: The agreement defines the single "Miles Boost" as 20k MQMs + 20k SkyMiles if eligible spending exceeds $50k. "Medallion award" and "Eligible Spending bonus" are synonymous with "Miles Boost".

This language in conjunction with the T&C quoted in my last post make clear that you can earn 1 "Miles Boost"/"Medallion award"/"Eligible Spending bonus" (or 2 Miles Boosts as we use the term colloquially) per card type.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.