Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Upgrade Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Regional Upgrade Certificates

I just called the Platinum line to inquire if I could use RUCs to upgrade my flight from MBS to HNL. Was told no. On Delta's website, it states that they can be used between Hawaii and LAX, SEA, SFO, or SLC. I am connecting in LAX. Is the reason that I can't use the certificates because I am originating from MBS? Thanks..
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by moxielady
I just called the Platinum line to inquire if I could use RUCs to upgrade my flight from MBS to HNL. Was told no. On Delta's website, it states that they can be used between Hawaii and LAX, SEA, SFO, or SLC. I am connecting in LAX. Is the reason that I can't use the certificates because I am originating from MBS? Thanks..
I think the agent is not correct, and you should HUACA.

David
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
You can use the RUC but only from the LAX/SEA to HNL segment. Not the segment originating from MBS. A seperate RUC is required for each segment of an itinerary.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I think the agent is not correct, and you should HUACA.
+1

Originally Posted by mridley2
You can use the RUC but only from the LAX/SEA to HNL segment. Not the segment originating from MBS. A seperate RUC is required for each segment of an itinerary.
Only 1 RUC should be required to upgrade all segments of MBS-XXX-LAX-HNL unless there is a broken fare involved. SWUs, GUCs, RUCs, and mileage upgrade awards apply to all segments in the same direction of travel (e.g., outbound or return). See RUC T&C excerpt below, with relevant text bolded (per http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ficates.html):

This certificate is valid for upgraded one-way travel on Delta Air Lines and certain Delta Connection® operated flights in markets where Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are available including eligible Delta or Delta Connection connecting flights, between the origin and destination of a ticketed fare for the named SkyMiles member or a travel companion pursuant to the terms and conditions of this offer. Only one companion per SkyMiles member may be upgraded on each flight segment. Any stopovers are governed by the fare rules, and an additional certificate will be required for broken fares.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call back, but then I got to thinking..travel is 9/1, a holiday, to 9/4. Seat map is pretty open in first, which I know isn't reliable. The only upgrades I really care about are HNL-LAX and HNL-DTW on the 4th. The former because it's a lie flat and the latter because it's a red-eye. I'm thinking that week will be business travel light because Monday is Labor Day. I haven't chosen my choice benefit yet. Thoughts?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:32 am

Need some advice on optimal strategy

Just had a business trip booked for Sept. that includes a long MSP-SAN segment. I have yet to claim my platinum benefit, and thinking I will take my 4 certificates and maybe use 2 on this trip.

My question is, should I wait until my platinum upgrade window passes to apply the certificate if there are open seats still, or immediately apply them. I do like to gamble and could gut my way through another coach run......I just don't want to "waste" a certificate if I would get a bump up, anyway.

thank you! If there is another thread that talks strategy, I would appreciate a link.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You could call Delta and check if there is any upgrade availability with the certs for your flights, and if so could lock in the upgrade now.
That is generally a pretty elite heavy route so you may not get the normal medallion upgrade due to the high numbers of DMs in MSP.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
WRONG. You do not need multiple RUCs/GUCs/SWUs for different segments if they are part of the same fare component.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
WRONG. You do not need multiple RUCs/GUCs/SWUs for different segments if they are part of the same fare component.

economist, you have any thoughts on my above question?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moxielady
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call back, but then I got to thinking..travel is 9/1, a holiday, to 9/4. Seat map is pretty open in first, which I know isn't reliable. The only upgrades I really care about are HNL-LAX and HNL-DTW on the 4th. The former because it's a lie flat and the latter because it's a red-eye. I'm thinking that week will be business travel light because Monday is Labor Day. I haven't chosen my choice benefit yet. Thoughts?
I'm traveling on 9/1 also (not to HNL though) and my strategy is to wait until 2 hours before the flight to apply a RUC if it looks like the medallion upgrade won't clear based on the upgrade list at that time. The F seat map is currently pretty open and I'm guessing business travel is lighter on Labor Day.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
economist, you have any thoughts on my above question?
MSP-SAN and vv has always been a tough upgrade, although this depends on the day of the week and flight time. Unless you're flying on Saturday morning, I wouldn't take the risk as a PM, especially on an A320 with only 12 FC seats (which IIRC is the aircraft DL was using on this route the last time I flew it).

Depending on your fare class, you could try to upgrade with miles if space is available in advance and save those precious RUCs (or take a different choice benefit) but remember that officially upgrades with miles must be processed in advance and not on the day of travel at the gate.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
MSP-SAN and vv has always been a tough upgrade, although this depends on the day of the week and flight time. Unless you're flying on Saturday morning, I wouldn't take the risk as a PM, especially on an A320 with only 12 FC seats (which IIRC is the aircraft DL was using on this route the last time I flew it).
You also have the option to apply the RUC to only one segment of a trip. On one of my HSV-ATL-LAX trips, I only applied the RUC to the ATL-LAX leg as I didn't want to burn the certificate if only the HSV-ATL segment got the RUC upgrade.

David
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

Depending on your fare class, you could try to upgrade with miles if space is available in advance and save those precious RUCs (or take a different choice benefit) but remember that officially upgrades with miles must be processed in advance and not on the day of travel at the gate.
Fare class ended up being V and U, so will need to use certificate to get it. Sounds like I should pull the trigger if there is space.

From some other reading, sounds like these book into the mile upgrade inventory; any easy way to check that inventory without calling?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
You also have the option to apply the RUC to only one segment of a trip. On one of my HSV-ATL-LAX trips, I only applied the RUC to the ATL-LAX leg as I didn't want to burn the certificate if only the HSV-ATL segment got the RUC upgrade.

David
Excellent tip as my trip is actually FSD-MSP-SAN-MSP-FSD. My FSD-MSP segments pretty much always clear, so this may come in handy in the future.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Excellent tip as my trip is actually FSD-MSP-SAN-MSP-FSD. My FSD-MSP segments pretty much always clear, so this may come in handy in the future.
On two occasions this year, I have tweeted @DLAssist after boarding my first flight to apply my RUC. If it looks like I'll clear on the first leg but it's looking questionable for the long/important leg then I'll just take the comp upgrade for the first leg. After it has cleared and I'm seated, then I'll apply the RUC to the second leg to move up the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.