Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Upgrade Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
From some other reading, sounds like these book into the mile upgrade inventory; any easy way to check that inventory without calling?
Unfortunately you'll have to call. We used to (just recently) be able to check RP/OP inventory for use with certs, but Delta just restricted us from seeing that to make it more difficult to find flights to use our upgrade certs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
What date/flights are you on?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by roknroll
On two occasions this year, I have tweeted @DLAssist after boarding my first flight to apply my RUC. If it looks like I'll clear on the first leg but it's looking questionable for the long/important leg then I'll just take the comp upgrade for the first leg. After it has cleared and I'm seated, then I'll apply the RUC to the second leg to move up the list.
You can apply the RUC/GUC/SWU in advance to only certain segments. Your method makes the upgrade you want less likely.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by ifette
What date/flights are you on?
DL 2570 on 9/26 to SAN
DL 1864 on 9/28 to MSP

(I am weird that most of my biz travel in on weekends.....)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can apply the RUC/GUC/SWU in advance to only certain segments. Your method makes the upgrade you want less likely.
Oh, that's nice. Didn't know you could do that.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by roknroll
Oh, that's nice. Didn't know you could do that.
See post #12 above by diverdave. He apparently does this a lot for his trips.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:16 pm

Okay, just an update from my last trip first:

I was able to get a battlefield upgrade to SAN on the way there; never would have gotten it otherwise as a Plat. On the way home, on a Sunday morning, my upgrade did NOT clear. Thanks to the advice in this thread, I retained it as I never applied it to my MSP-FSD segment. (That was a great tip.)

Now, I basically have the same thing to SNA. I called to apply for the long segments from MSP. When I look in my profile, the MSP-SNA leg looks just like last time for my SAN flights. However, it look different for the way home. Nowhere does it say "systemwide upgrade requested." Further, I have two different line items for the SNA-MSP flights. The "regular" one still says "
Medallion Upgrade Requested." Then, the flight is listed again below my MSP-FSP flight seat is listed as "not assigned." Fare code is "First/RP."

Should I be worried? I talked to two different reps already.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
That's the way a GUC appeared when I applied it to the long segment.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Okay, just an update from my last trip first:

I was able to get a battlefield upgrade to SAN on the way there; never would have gotten it otherwise as a Plat. On the way home, on a Sunday morning, my upgrade did NOT clear. Thanks to the advice in this thread, I retained it as I never applied it to my MSP-FSD segment. (That was a great tip.)

Now, I basically have the same thing to SNA. I called to apply for the long segments from MSP. When I look in my profile, the MSP-SNA leg looks just like last time for my SAN flights. However, it look different for the way home. Nowhere does it say "systemwide upgrade requested." Further, I have two different line items for the SNA-MSP flights. The "regular" one still says "
Medallion Upgrade Requested." Then, the flight is listed again below my MSP-FSP flight seat is listed as "not assigned." Fare code is "First/RP."

Should I be worried? I talked to two different reps already.
I've never used the new RUCs yet, but it sounds to me like on the return, you're waitlisted for the long MSP-SNA segment with a RUC-supported upgrade confirmed for MSP-FSP.

For the outbound, I don't know what "same as last time" means.

You need to call DL. I suspect that you requested the RUC to only be applied for the long segment but an agent incorrectly listed you for a RUC upgrade also for the short segment and the upgrade for the short segment has already cleared. [A test would be whether you're able to assign yourself a FC seat on the short segment but not the long segment.] You need to get this fixed ASAP so that you don't lose the RUC if the long segment doesn't clear.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:55 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Has anyone else had issues with tickets "not reissuing" when applying a RUC? Its happened to me 3 times now. One leg clears and another wait lists, and when I go to check in, I get a "sorry, no electronic ticket can be found with this reservation". This usually takes a 20 min DL DM line phone call to fix. Just very annoying, ends up getting resolved.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:24 am

I've never used the new RUCs yet, but it sounds to me like on the return, you're waitlisted for the long MSP-SNA segment with a RUC-supported upgrade confirmed for MSP-FSP.

For the outbound, I don't know what "same as last time" means.

You need to call DL. I suspect that you requested the RUC to only be applied for the long segment but an agent incorrectly listed you for a RUC upgrade also for the short segment and the upgrade for the short segment has already cleared. [A test would be whether you're able to assign yourself a FC seat on the short segment but not the long segment.] You need to get this fixed ASAP so that you don't lose the RUC if the long segment doesn't clear.
So, the MSP-SNA flight says "systemwide upgrad requested" just like it did on my last trip.

It is the SNA-MSP thing that looks goofy as described above. My MSP-FSD leg (short hop) still says "medallion upgrade requested" and I am unable to pick a first class seat. I have called twice, and used Delta Assist once and they all say it is right, but I don't get why it looks different and I trust Delta about as much as Putin.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AirTheory
Has anyone else had issues with tickets "not reissuing" when applying a RUC? Its happened to me 3 times now. One leg clears and another wait lists, and when I go to check in, I get a "sorry, no electronic ticket can be found with this reservation". This usually takes a 20 min DL DM line phone call to fix. Just very annoying, ends up getting resolved.
Yes, its a common issue and frequently discussed in the GUC thread. If you have a segment that cleared, make sure to call and have the ticket reissued before day of departure so you don't have a problem at the airport.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I am new to the RUCs. I am PLAT and considering the 4 RUCS in lieu of the 20K miles.

Question. Flying from PHL to either LAS or LAX for a holiday. The flights call for a stop in one of the hubs.

Does the RUC upgrade the two segments on each leg or do I need to burn 1 RUC per segment? If it is just me and the GF will the 4 RUCS get us UGs on all segments for the RT?

Will the RUC assign the UG at time of booking if inventory is available? I assume I would need to pick flights, call DL and ask to see if the RUCs will work?

If it gets waitlisted do the RUCS clear before all elites including my companion?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:14 pm

One RUC covers all flights in the same direction assuming that you don't have a broken fare. [There may also be an upper bound on the number of segments, but it's unlikely to actually be binding.] If there's a stopover, then all flights on the same fare component are included.

RUCs clear at the time of booking if upgrade inventory is available for any segment for which the RUC has been requested. Otherwise they go to a waitlist and clear with higher priority than free elite upgrades.If you used a RUC for your companion (which requires the same PNR), then the companion would have the same priority.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
One RUC covers all flights in the same direction assuming that you don't have a broken fare. [There may also be an upper bound on the number of segments, but it's unlikely to actually be binding.] If there's a stopover, then all flights on the same fare component are included.

RUCs clear at the time of booking if upgrade inventory is available for any segment for which the RUC has been requested. Otherwise they go to a waitlist and clear with higher priority than free elite upgrades.If you used a RUC for your companion (which requires the same PNR), then the companion would have the same priority.
Thank you and excellent advice. I will be asking for the 4 RUCs instead of Skypesos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.