Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-900ERs replacing 757 routes ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
737-900ERs replacing 757 routes ??

I have been noticing more and more that 737-900ER take over from former 757-2xx routes. Overall they have a few more seats in coach BUT between 2-6 fewer F-seats (less chances for upgrades) and typically no ground service in F due to only one boarding door which makes it almost impossible to provide service in FC while YC is boarding.....
While 737-900s are more fuel efficient and cheaper than 757s, they feel more cramped. Can't wait for Delta's first A321 to arrive (45 on order) since this plane is one foot wider and has a second door which could be used similar to how 757 are boarded today....
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wouldn't count on it despite the incredibly uncomfortable experience being on one of these planes can be. Which routes specifically are you thinking about? I know it has been used for routes such as DTW to SLc for example. Are you seeing it then up on DTW to LAx or LAS?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by Christefan
..... Can't wait for Delta's first A321 to arrive (45 on order) since this plane is one foot wider and has a second door which could be used similar to how 757 are boarded today....
the airbus 320 series has a ONE FOOT WIDER fuselage than boeing narrow bodies? News to me-i have always heard and read 6 INCHES wider.
One extra inch seat width is nice but really does not make the whole
cabin feel appreciably roomier.

Having a second boarding door aft of the front/premium cabin does do much
to improve the departure and arrival phase of the trip for the front though. The area by that second door is some space to stand and stretch ones legs and that is sorely missing on the 737 and the a-320/3l9/3l8 as well.

Now if they would just install a lav by the second boarding door to discourage the front of Y from intruding into the front cabin for the lav and so the front of Y does not have to schlepp to the far aft of the cabin, that would be an enhancement.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I have been getting pre-departure drinks on the 3 or 4 739 flights I have. Very few flights in the entire system have the option to board from a second door and this is nothing new. Don't forget the 757s are going to lose some FC seats soon.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The inner fuselage diameter of the 318/319/320/321 is 7" wider than the 737/757 (and 727 before them). The difference is 5" at shoulder height. Spread across six seats (and sometimes the aisle) fractional is very much the word.

With 100 739ER deliveries underway vs. orders for just 45 A321s, it's clear which type is going to be doing more subs for domestic 757-200s between now and 2018.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have been noticing more and more that 737-900ER take over from former 757-2xx routes. Overall they have a few more seats in coach BUT between 2-6 fewer F-seats (less chances for upgrades) and typically no ground service in F due to only one boarding door which makes it almost impossible to provide service in FC while YC is boarding.....
While 737-900s are more fuel efficient and cheaper than 757s, they feel more cramped. Can't wait for Delta's first A321 to arrive (45 on order) since this plane is one foot wider and has a second door which could be used similar to how 757 are boarded today....
I had 737-900s to and from DTW-LAX and SFO this spring.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wouldn't count on it despite the incredibly uncomfortable experience being on one of these planes can be. Which routes specifically are you thinking about? I know it has been used for routes such as DTW to SLc for example. Are you seeing it then up on DTW to LAx or LAS?

Er, they have been using the 739 on DTW to west coast routes for awhile now. Today's 739 departures out of DTW include 2 x LAX, SEA, 2 x SAN, SFO, PDX, MCO, and ATL. While these might be considered "typical" 757's routes, it wasn't unusual to see A319/A320's on them back in the day. During the summer, a number of these routes are now being flown with 763's as well.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Can't wait for Delta's first A321 to arrive (45 on order) since this plane is one foot wider and has a second door which could be used similar to how 757 are boarded today....
Here's my post and ultimate reply from another thread:

Originally Posted by davetravels
That said, as the B757s are phased out, does anyone expect that the A321s will use door 2L?
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Doubt it. The 2L door on the A321 is too close to the port engine, and even Airbus discourages its use for boarding. AA committed to using the 2L door for boarding on its premium A321Ts, and there are already widespread reports that AA isn't keeping its promise probably due to them being hesitant to drive a jetway so close to the port engine.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
Er, they have been using the 739 on DTW to west coast routes for awhile now. Today's 739 departures out of DTW include 2 x LAX, SEA, 2 x SAN, SFO, PDX, MCO, and ATL. While these might be considered "typical" 757's routes, it wasn't unusual to see A319/A320's on them back in the day. During the summer, a number of these routes are now being flown with 763's as well.
Flew ATL-PHX on a 739 last week. I'm incredibly thankful for the IFE on the longer flights.

PHX-ATL two days later was one of the old NW 757's. No IFE, no overhead video, small overhead storage, and well worn seats.

I'll take 1" less seat width and leg room and beautiful IFE any day over the dingy old 757.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by aww3583
Flew ATL-PHX on a 739 last week. I'm incredibly thankful for the IFE on the longer flights.

PHX-ATL two days later was one of the old NW 757's. No IFE, no overhead video, small overhead storage, and well worn seats.

I'll take 1" less seat width and leg room and beautiful IFE any day over the dingy old 757.
Wrong. NW birds (757s) have always had the largest bins. Also just took two 757-200s that are legacy DL birds - in-seat TVs - and they were among the dingiest I've ever seen.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
I've occasionally had a 777 from DTW-ATL and regularly get 757s and even 767s from MSP to DTW.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aww3583

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Wrong. NW birds (757s) have always had the largest bins. Also just took two 757-200s that are legacy DL birds - in-seat TVs - and they were among the dingiest I've ever seen.
Doesn't exactly match the fancy Delta advertisements and what not, eh? I'd take a MD-88/90 over one of these. I actually enjoy flying DTW-BWI because of the new-ish interiors and comfortable first-class seats. I could easily do two or three hours in one.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
No, you are wrong. The PMDL 752s have bin extensions installed, the PMNW ones do not.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
and typically no ground service in F due to only one boarding door which makes it almost impossible to provide service in FC while YC is boarding.
I have not flown the 737-900 yet, but considering I still receive ground service on a vast majority of flights I take on other narrowbodies that board from 1L, I find this claim difficult to believe.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The inner fuselage diameter of the 318/319/320/321 is 7" wider than the 737/757 (and 727 before them). The difference is 5" at shoulder height. Spread across six seats (and sometimes the aisle) fractional is very much the word.
My understanding is that the A319's and A320's DL currently has puts all the extra width in the aisle, but with the announced refit they will be putting in wider coach seats, I do believe that one inch of width will be a noticable improvement.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have flown the 737-900 6 times this year. PDX-ATL and DTW-PDX routes.

All of the flights there was a PDB service with no issues except one where catering was late (was in row 2 and this was not a lie).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.