Wiki Posts
Search

Losing PM status = ?? (EC seats?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: PM (10 yrs running)
Losing PM status = ?? (EC seats?)

2015 will be my first year without Platinum Medallion status in over a decade. As a million miler, I'll still have Silver status (lifetime). Here's my question: If I book reservations this year for travel in mid-2015 and select Economy Comfort seats, will I still have those seats? Or, will the Delta system move me out of those seats without notifying me? Or, will Delta contact me to try to extract the EC "fee" to remain in those seats?

Finally, can you think of any other issues that I might expect to face? Obviously, I've been spoiled by PM status for many years. But I can't envision continuing to chase status into 2015 and beyond.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:03 pm

You probably won't be proactivly moved from the seats but if (when) a schedule change happens you might be moved from them and trying to call in to get them back for free may be an uphill climb.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:04 pm
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by daveflyer
Finally, can you think of any other issues that I might expect to face? Obviously, I've been spoiled by PM status for many years. But I can't envision continuing to chase status into 2015 and beyond.
I went down from DM to GM this year. So...

1) no lounge access on domestic flights, which is fine. Never cared for lounges.
2) I have to pay for EC seats on international flights. Discounted rates, though.
3) upgrade chances didn't matter to me, since I fly mostly transcon flights which are no longer eligible (even though there was a reversal to that policy)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just book and pick the seats you want, and hope a schedule equipment change doesn't cause seats to be reassigned.

I'd suggest checking to make sure you're still in an EC seat on the last day of your PM status at end of Feb. From there on there is a chance you'd get booted from a sched change, but an agent shouldn't kick you out on purpose.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kop84
You probably won't be proactivly moved from the seats but if (when) a schedule change happens you might be moved from them and trying to call in to get them back for free may be an uphill climb.
+1
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: 2006 NW SE; 2007 NW GE; 2008-2009 NW PE; DL PM
Obviously, I've been spoiled by PM status for many years. But I can't envision continuing to chase status into 2015 and beyond.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one in this category. I have been using miles this year for award tickets and in 2015 will be just a Skymiles member. After using remaining Skymiles, I will continue to fly Delta if the price is competitive, but will make no effort to pay more just for status as I did in years past. The MQD and the 2015 upcoming changes to earning miles have definitely changed the way I feel about loyalty.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:11 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I also was demoted this year after Diamond and Platinum for the past dozen years. So far, the only downside other than mostly zero upgrades, is the loss of free EC for international. However, the term I used, "so far" is the scary part, as I'm worried that there will be further devaluing of GM in the future. No proof, just history to point the way.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
Originally Posted by a7m
I went down from DM to GM this year. So...

1) no lounge access on domestic flights, which is fine. Never cared for lounges.
2) I have to pay for EC seats on international flights. Discounted rates, though.
3) upgrade chances didn't matter to me, since I fly mostly transcon flights which are no longer eligible (even though there was a reversal to that policy)
I am in the identical situation - for me, the biggest loss (in addition to above) will be free redeposit of award ticket miles (I have a lot of unused miles).
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
As stated above, you probably will be ok unless there is some sort of schedule change or plane swap.

I moved down from PM to GM this year and I have to admit that I miss the free EC on international flights and the free award redeposit. Hoping 2015 will be kind to the GMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.