Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfFrom35K
Known at this time:
- Complimentary Upgrades on premium transcon flights, namelyJFK-SFO/LAX, are no longer an available benefit for any level Medallion Elite
- Regional and/or Global Upgrade Certificates as well as Miles may be used for upgrades on premium transcon flights
- Seattle-JFK is no longer a premium transcon flight
Print Wikipost

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
This is great news. DL is finally coming to its senses. I'm breaking out the champagne.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Didn't any of you see the post about this, this past weekend?

Someone posted, IIRC, without any real proof, other than a he said / she said from a GA. There were a few replies in speculation. Then the OP deleted the text of his original post. Then a mod deleted the entire thread into oblivion!
Perhaps the OP of that deleted post and now deleted thread was Lois Lerner?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
I guess it isn't happening in Seattle. From the piece:

This is not an “official” policy change, but Delta is now offering occasional comp upgrades to its specially outfitted and serviced Business Elite cabins flying between New York JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.
It specifically refers to specially outfitted and serviced Business Elite cabins - not decrepit 757s with Domestic First seating.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
This is great news. DL is finally coming to its senses. I'm breaking out the champagne.
I'd wait on that champagne until there are more, official specifics/details...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
This is a bit silly though - if they don't advertise it they're not going to get business that they theoretically lost (if you assume that).....
No, but it might keep those of us who were waiting until making/remaking DM for 2015 from leaving.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
JFK-SEA should return to upgrades for everyone as DL rarely has the appropriate equipment and correct product on that flight.
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I guess it isn't happening in Seattle. From the piece:
It specifically refers to specially outfitted and serviced Business Elite cabins - not decrepit 757s with Domestic First seating.
You guys are mean, I'm right here. *waves the 7500 skymile apology at you*
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'd wait on that champagne until there are more, official specifics/details...
Surely any change at all would be welcome. I can't imagine a TCON upgrade policy any worse than what Delta has currently implemented!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:22 pm

If this becomes official policy, I will welcome the change as it makes quite a bit of sense.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by 355F1
I have never flown any transcon route that had the UGs taken away. But if this is true I am happy for those it does affect.

Taking away something so lucrative from the DM/PM's was a horrible business decision, IMO.

I know that if I had to criss-cross the country weekly like many of you do I would definitely switch carriers.
It would have been a good business decision if they'd sold the seats they were previously giving away, either sold them to DMs who had been getting the UGs, or to other who would be more likely to buy the J if the cabin had the "exclusive feel" of a cabin with no freeloaders (never understood that one - who gives a toss whether a cabin has freebies?), but clearly they didn't. We DMs either sat in the back or flew with another airline with the slight possibility of an UG, which is not good either way as DL gets to sell fewer seats.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It would have been a good business decision if they'd sold the seats they were previously giving away, either sold them to DMs who had been getting the UGs, or to other who would be more likely to buy the J if the cabin had the "exclusive feel" of a cabin with no freeloaders (never understood that one - who gives a toss whether a cabin has freebies?), but clearly they didn't. We DMs either sat in the back or flew with another airline with the slight possibility of an UG, which is not good either way as DL gets to sell fewer seats.
As I overheard somebody say, "They took away the upgrades from their 'best' customers and gave them to employees and buddy passes." (My quotes around 'best' -- don't want to re-open that can of worms).

A bit harsh, but not really untrue unless they actually sold the seat -- but even in that case I don't see the upgrades taking paid seats as they were almost always at the gate -- "space available."

I really don't see many people saying "instead of $500 I'll spend $2000" for a 5 hour flight. I've sprung for discounted J TATL and TPAC but we're talking much longer flights where you can actually get some sleep after the meal.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
As I overheard somebody say, "They took away the upgrades from their 'best' customers and gave them to employees and buddy passes." (My quotes around 'best' -- don't want to re-open that can of worms).

A bit harsh, but not really untrue unless they actually sold the seat -- but even in that case I don't see the upgrades taking paid seats as they were almost always at the gate -- "space available."

I really don't see many people saying "instead of $500 I'll spend $2000" for a 5 hour flight. I've sprung for discounted J TATL and TPAC but we're talking much longer flights where you can actually get some sleep after the meal.
Yes, I totally agree. DL took a gamble on our unwillingness to stick it in steerage or look elsewhere, and lost.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I've not tried DL's product as AA offers EXP complimentary transcon upgrades on its 321s. It's a nice ride in J and there's still F to upgrade into (or buy) from J.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:20 pm

There was a thread that was posted and deleted, but I think it was more deleted from Delta who wanted to cover it up and keep this a secret.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-flights.html
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

Plus, the above means that with no possibility of UG we cheap DMs would buy tickets at the most convenient time for us (where all tickets are sold) rather than the time that offered the highest possibility of a gate UG (where DL has space). So lose-lose for DL!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Plus, the above means that with no possibility of UG we cheap DMs would buy tickets at the most convenient time for us (where all tickets are sold) rather than the time that offered the highest possibility of a gate UG (where DL has space). So lose-lose for DL!
Management repeatedly demonstrates that they do not have a grasp on the law of unintended consequences.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
There was a thread that was posted and deleted, but I think it was more deleted from Delta who wanted to cover it up and keep this a secret.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-flights.html
Google has it cached:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...a-flights.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.