Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond

Have a trip to Mexico City next week and was wondering how the upgrade system works with AeroMexico. Called Diamond line and got two different answers. First gentleman told me that I would be behind all AM elites. On the second call, the lady told me that I would have equal priority.

The flight is on the 787, which would be a first for me, so I'm curious to see what my chances are. Has anyone had any luck being upgraded at the 5-day window? If not, what kind of %s do we typically see on such a route.

I am flying on Delta stock on a B-fare and, as I am told, I can only use my miles for an upgrade on Y-fare.

Thank you
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
The answer is there is no clear answer...I posted this in another thread a month ago about my experiences:

Upgrades as a DL elite on AM are a wild-wild-west of sorts. No rules, everyone to himself. The following may occur (based on experience on AM coded and operated flights):

1) Ask to be put on first class stand-by list at check-in...then ask gate agent...then you get upgraded. However, there is no meal loaded to cater your first class seat. You also have to fight with DL for months to get mileage accrual for that flight because you were "upgraded" into a non-accruing fare class.

2) Ask to be put on first class stand-by list at check-in...then ask gate agent...then you do not get upgraded because there are no first class meals catered for you.

And this one was my favorite:

3) Ask to be put on first class stand-by list at check-in...then ask gate agent...then your boarding pass is surprisingly ripped from your hands and run over to a police officer so that you can receive a special thorough "SSSS" style security investigation while you watch some nice people you met on the flight down (who happen to speak spanish) get an upgrade even though they do not have status.

Basically...I have stopped politely asking for upgrades on AM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I flew IAH-MEX-CDG and didn't get any upgrade as First was full, but I was able to change to an earlier flight back to IAH without any charge (presumably because of my status). I was led to believe that I would've gotten an upgrade if there'd been space.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:30 am

I should add that you can increase your chances by purchasing (a mostly refundable) OptionTown upgrade. Plug in your reservation number on https://www.optiontown.com/ and see what it quotes you. I'm thinking it won't work though if you have a 006 ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I flew IAH-MEX-CDG and didn't get any upgrade as First was full, but I was able to change to an earlier flight back to IAH without any charge (presumably because of my status). I was led to believe that I would've gotten an upgrade if there'd been space.
I assume you're talking about upgrades on the IAH-MEX and VV segments, not the TATL flights MEX-CDG and CDG-MEX?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
I flew AeroMexico on a 006 ticket way back in 2007 as a DL gold from MIA-CUN via Mexico city,, and for both legs all I had to do was show my SM card to the gate agent who then upgraded me on the spot
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I should add that you can increase your chances by purchasing (a mostly refundable) OptionTown upgrade. Plug in your reservation number on https://www.optiontown.com/ and see what it quotes you. I'm thinking it won't work though if you have a 006 ticket.
Thanks for the heads up, EZE. Put that in for my flight that looks very unlikely to get upgrade(J2 with 10 days to go). Do you know if this books me into actual J-level fare? If so, its worth to upgrade just to get the MQMs!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume you're talking about upgrades on the IAH-MEX and VV segments, not the TATL flights MEX-CDG and CDG-MEX?
Yes, the TATL would require OT. In the end I didn't regret not paying, as it was the 787 and I had plenty of empty seats. That aircraft made the 12hr flight feel like 4hrs.

Originally Posted by Andrito
Thanks for the heads up, EZE. Put that in for my flight that looks very unlikely to get upgrade(J2 with 10 days to go). Do you know if this books me into actual J-level fare? If so, its worth to upgrade just to get the MQMs!
I'd read about people getting bonus MQMs, so I found the prospect rather tempting as well, but I cannot confirm it myself.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am 1 for 6 on AM upgrades, all were flights in and out of MEX, there does not seem to be any logic to the process. I did fly on their 787 in March (MEX – JFK); mainly just to experience the aircraft. No upgrade and they only have J and coach, no version of EC. The flight turned into a nightmare due to weather in JFK, circled for an hour and then diverted to DC, ended up getting into JFK very late and cleared customs after 22:00, and that was with GE. I did not feel like spending the night near JFK so I rented a car on my dime and drove to PHL, ended up being a 13 hour trip. I will be sticking with DL metal from now on
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT
Recently flew LAX-MEX rt. Best thing to do re: upgrade is message AM via their webchat and request in advance. They upgraded me both legs in advance.. about 2 days
seychellesbound likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I flew JFK-CUN in 2012 and was upgraded in both directions.

On the outbound, when the system tried to EUA me, it somehow messed up the ticket. Lengthy phone calls with Delta fixed the ticket but not the EUA. At check-in, the agent was fabulous - she understood the EUA process and upon showing my PM card upgraded me.

I don't remember whether on the return flight I got the EUA or if I had to talk to someone at check in, but if the latter, it was similarly quick.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

I have related question. Suppose you buy an Aeromexico codeshare operated by Delta. Can you still select preferred seats and request to be upgraded? I assume the codeshare flight will show up on delta.com?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLLOVEHATE
Recently flew LAX-MEX rt. Best thing to do re: upgrade is message AM via their webchat and request in advance. They upgraded me both legs in advance.. about 2 days
Were you flying on DL or AM stock? I called AM and they told me there is nothing they could do, as I am booked on Delta. I called Delta and they said that AM releases only 3 J seats for complimentary/miles upgrades and that there isn't anything that they could do.

Essentially, I think my only option now is the dreaded "figure it out with AM personnel at the airport" route. I'm not expecting much...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I flew JFK-CUN in 2012 and was upgraded in both directions.

On the outbound, when the system tried to EUA me, it somehow messed up the ticket. Lengthy phone calls with Delta fixed the ticket but not the EUA. At check-in, the agent was fabulous - she understood the EUA process and upon showing my PM card upgraded me.

I don't remember whether on the return flight I got the EUA or if I had to talk to someone at check in, but if the latter, it was similarly quick.
Yea... So far the experience isn't the best.

At check-in, I was notified that I am #6 on the list behind any and all AeroMexico Elite passengers and there are 6 open seats(but about another 200 people yet to check-in). I went over to talk to the ticket desk to see if I could buy up, since I was on B-fare(represented as U-fare on boarding pass). Immediately the lady at the counter told me that the flight is full. Having my EF account open, which showed J9, I told her that was absolutely not true and she corrected herself to say that she was talking about the 5pm flight(why?) but still - not true(J3).

Then she said that due to the ticket being issued by Delta, there is absolutely nothing that they could do from their side. Here I am not necessarily questioning her honest but rather the backwardness of the relationship between two partners.

Long story short - Economy, here I come! Still pretty excited to check out the 787.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Andrito
Yea... So far the experience isn't the best.

At check-in, I was notified that I am #6 on the list behind any and all AeroMexico Elite passengers and there are 6 open seats(but about another 200 people yet to check-in). I went over to talk to the ticket desk to see if I could buy up, since I was on B-fare(represented as U-fare on boarding pass). Immediately the lady at the counter told me that the flight is full. Having my EF account open, which showed J9, I told her that was absolutely not true and she corrected herself to say that she was talking about the 5pm flight(why?) but still - not true(J3).

Then she said that due to the ticket being issued by Delta, there is absolutely nothing that they could do from their side. Here I am not necessarily questioning her honest but rather the backwardness of the relationship between two partners.

Long story short - Economy, here I come! Still pretty excited to check out the 787.
Yes, it's a backward/odd relationship. I have had fairly good luck getting upgraded on either DL or AM coded/AM operated metal to/from US and Mexico, as well as on Mexican domestic flights. But unfortunately it does come down to getting the right person (or lucky). That said, their policy is that DL elites get upgraded after all of theirs.

One surprise to me: on an AM-coded/DL metal flight (MEX-JFK), DL refused to put me on the upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.