Search

LAX to YUL: 41 mins connection in MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
LAX to YUL: 41 mins connection in MSP

Hi all

I haven't transited thru MSP in years and I'm flying LAX to YUL with a 41 connect time in MSP. Is it do-able? Do I need to go thru any screening or customs at MSP ? I do have a Nexus card. I looked at MSP's airport website for departures and arrivals, the flight from LAX should arrive at Terminal 1 gate G2, G3 or F11 while departing flight to YUL should take off from Terminal 1, gate C23. Am I able to make it?

thanks all.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Per the Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread your itinerary is not a legal connection, which requires a minimum of 45 minutes for a US-Canada connection.

For most DL-DL connections:
D-D: 35 minutes (45 minutes if 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx flight numbers)
D-I: 40 minutes (45 minutes if Canada)
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (1 hour for Canada)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (1 hour for Canada)

Call DL and request a change. Because the connection violates minimum connection time, DL will waive any change fees and fare differences. It will help to have your preferred alternatives in mind before calling DL so look up which flights you want to transfer to before calling. And you aren't limited to going through MSP - you can also look at alternatives via another hub that serves YUL (ATL, JFK, or DTW).

Also, don't read too much into the arrival and gate information. That changes all the time. If your flight arrived at G2 today, that's no guarantee that it will arrive at G2 tomorrow.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Per the Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread your itinerary is not a legal connection, which requires a minimum of 45 minutes for a US-Canada connection.
Per EF, MCT for LAX-MSP-YUL is 40 minutes.

There is a 45 minute MCT rule for certain domestic-international DL flights transiting MSP, but that exception is for flights that originate in Canada. Remember, arriving flights from cities where US Customs preclearance takes place are considered "domestic" upon arrival at a US airport, which is why there can be a "flights from Canada" exception in a domestic-international MCT rule.

To OP, a 41 minute connection in MSP is one minute longer than MCT. It is "legal" but it is also certainly a tight connection.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:38 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Unless you enjoy sprinting through airports or flagging down a cart to get you to the next gate, I'd avoid a 41 minute connection at MSP regardless of whether it meets the legal minimum. MSP is a sprawling mess of an airport with some very long distances to cover in a worst case scenario and some areas such as the shopping mall between F and C where there are no moving sidewalks and often crowds of people that will slow you down. That's cutting things a bit too close for my tastes and leaves no time whatever for using the restroom or grabbing something to eat. My personal minimum there is more like 1:15 to 1:30 as I hate really rushed connections and the possible consequences of misconnecting.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mnbp
Per EF, MCT for LAX-MSP-YUL is 40 minutes.

There is a 45 minute MCT rule for certain domestic-international DL flights transiting MSP, but that exception is for flights that originate in Canada. Remember, arriving flights from cities where US Customs preclearance takes place are considered "domestic" upon arrival at a US airport, which is why there can be a "flights from Canada" exception in a domestic-international MCT rule.

To OP, a 41 minute connection in MSP is one minute longer than MCT. It is "legal" but it is also certainly a tight connection.
I stand corrected then. Guess our thread here (at least the wiki in that thread) needs an update. In fact, looking at DL's flight schedules for MSP-LAX, it shows options with <45 minute connections (but greater than 40 minutes).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is not "illegal". But, MCT does not mean SCT (Sensible Connect Time).

2. Recognizing that you are not entitled to a change, call DL and see if you can't make it happen. If not, try SDC and also have in hand the later flight(s) if there are any, in case of misconnect.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that technically you are supposed to be on board international departing flights, including those to Canada, by T-30, not T-15 as for a domestic departure.

At MSP, the transborder flights used to use gates like G7-G12, but now that most are RJs, they tend to use the high C gates.

If OP does try this, I would advise avoiding the main (shopping) concourse and using the wide moving walkways along G to get to the (airside) skyway connector that roughly connects G 20 to C 20. Alternatively, look for an electric golf cart and tip a buck or two for an immediate nonstop ride.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
You will go through customs prior to leaving YUL...so that won't be an issue.

My guess (as I fly from msp/YUL often, is like mspeconomist has stated, you will arrive at msp in the C gates, and most likely leave for LAX from the G terminal (though D/F is a possibility too).

Usually when I get cocky and think I can make a tight connection...those are the days that the tram and/or moving sidewalks are down.

Good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Just wanted to provide a follow up. The flight from LAX to MSP departed and arrived on time. As soon I deplaned, I made a beeline and used the rolling walkways to get to my connecting YUL flight as I knew they were boarding was commencing. I sprinted from concourse G to concourse F and I arrived at the gate with plenty of time to spare.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; Accor Platinum; Bonvoy Platinum; Hertz #1 Gold; HHonors Silver
On a related question...I have an upcoming trip with a 51 min connection at MSP where I am likely going to have to transit from a high C gate over to F concourse.

Train along C and walk across the mall type area or take the moving people walker across and then transit the length of G on foot up to F?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by EG33
On a related question...I have an upcoming trip with a 51 min connection at MSP where I am likely going to have to transit from a high C gate over to F concourse.

Train along C and walk across the mall type area or take the moving people walker across and then transit the length of G on foot up to F?
You have enough time for either, but the fastest option is none of the above. Jump on a cart, let the driver know you have a tight connection, hold on and enjoy the wind in your hair.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; Accor Platinum; Bonvoy Platinum; Hertz #1 Gold; HHonors Silver
Thanks - didn't even dawn on me. I'll look for a car stop along C and flag one down. ��
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by EG33
Thanks - didn't even dawn on me. I'll look for a car stop along C and flag one down. ��
It usually more like flagging down a cab in NYC than finding one that's stopped and waiting. Even if someone else is riding, if there is room, the driver will pick you up.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have a couple dollar bills in your hand for faster electric golf cart service.

If you decide to not do the golf carts, I would suggest the skyway connector and moving sidewalks along G, unless possibly you seem a tram approaching that you can catch. The mall can be very congested and has no moving walkways so it always seems slow to walk that way. Remember that F doesn't have moving walkways either, and somehow always seems to be the most congested concourse at MSP.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by chatmax
Hi all

I haven't transited thru MSP in years and I'm flying LAX to YUL with a 41 connect time in MSP. Is it do-able? Do I need to go thru any screening or customs at MSP ? I do have a Nexus card. I looked at MSP's airport website for departures and arrivals, the flight from LAX should arrive at Terminal 1 gate G2, G3 or F11 while departing flight to YUL should take off from Terminal 1, gate C23. Am I able to make it?

thanks all.
I flew LAX-YUL through DTW about a month ago and made my connection easily (think I had 65 minutes or so), they didn't make me do any screening in DTW and customs was done in YUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.