Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Easy Way to Search

Easy Way to Search

Old May 28, 2014, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Easy Way to Search

Is there an easy way to search for the lowest fare an 8 week range? Departing airport is most likely DTW. Destination (return out of can be different) could be either ATL, AGS, GSP, or CAE. Date range is mid June to mid August.

I just don't want to manually attempt every option.

Looking for 1 travel day, 3-4 days onsite, then the return.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Google's ITA Matrix
Old May 28, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
ITA Matrix. click the 'advanced routing codes' to open that box up. put DL+ in there to limit it to only DL flights. Or you can do /alliance skyteam to show all skyteam flights.

You can do flexible dates, tell it how many nights you want to stay (or a range) and it will show prices across a month.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
ITA is definitely the best choice.

You can put in Multiple airports at both origin and destination, flexible coding for airline preferences (don't want to stop in a particular hub?), and a much more flexible date search.

See this link for a very nice series of guides for using ITA.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Try http://google.com/flights too. Some interesting features and quite easy to use.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're looking for something like this on Delta.com, not going to happen. The 'best' they have is a flexible search for something like a +/- 3 day window and you have to have set airports.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Once upon a time you could search by weekends in a given month.... but once upon a time was before they started making 'improvements' to Delta dot dumb.

Bob H
Old May 29, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BobH
Once upon a time you could search by weekends in a given month.... but once upon a time was before they started making 'improvements' to Delta dot dumb.

Bob H

actually that feature still works

go to "More Search Options" and check the "My dates are flexible" box; right next to the second radio button "Flexible weekend travel (Leave Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Return Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.)" is "Show weekend travel days in ..." with the months in a pulldown menu
Old May 29, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jrl767
actually that feature still works

go to "More Search Options" and check the "My dates are flexible" box; right next to the second radio button "Flexible weekend travel (Leave Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Return Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.)" is "Show weekend travel days in ..." with the months in a pulldown menu
Thanks -- it's now so hard to find that it might as well not be there.

Nothing like a user hostile system

Bob H
Old May 29, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by mnbp
Try http://google.com/flights too. Some interesting features and quite easy to use.
Seconding this. The interface on Google Flights doesn't give you all the options of the ITA matrix, but it pulls from the same data source and is a lot more user friendly. And for a fairly simple search like this Google Flights gives you all the options the OP needs.

Last edited by Zeeb; May 29, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old May 29, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timmy83
ITA is definitely the best choice.

You can put in Multiple airports at both origin and destination, flexible coding for airline preferences (don't want to stop in a particular hub?), and a much more flexible date search.

See this link for a very nice series of guides for using ITA.

Thanks for all the ideas. The ITA option was really quite easy and provided exactly what I was looking for.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by boatnfish
Thanks for all the ideas. The ITA option was really quite easy and provided exactly what I was looking for.
Good for you, boatnfish! Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Now that this question has been resolved, let us share the advice in this discussion with other FlyerTalk members by moving it into the Travel Tools forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old May 29, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hi, this is certainly related to the OP's question so I don't feel bad posting here.

Which OTAs allow you to enter multiple airports / cities as the origin &/or destination ?

ITA does this superbly but which OTAs allow this ?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
@Sisyphus1carus just search with ITA then you can use hipmunk to search/reserve specific codes because hipmunk understands the ::UA1234 specific flight codes same as ITA Matrix uses.
Old May 30, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Thanks for the swift reply. I am thinking about fares which don't show up in ITA though.

Therefore what I'd like to find is a (few) good search engine(s) which allow you to enter multiple airports, like in ITA.
eg:
To: BOM, PNQ, IXU, BDQ, GOI, AMD, IDR, HYD, UDR,
To: LCY, LHR, LGW, LTN, STN, SEN, CBG,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.