DL/VS Metal swaps on LHR-LAX/ATL

Old May 22, 2014, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I haven't been in the VS lounge at LAX (actually, I haven't been in any VS lounge ) but do you think VS travelers will be happy with the LAX SkyClub?
VS are building their own branded clubhouse in LAX to open next year.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, VS/DL/BA/AA does have daylight flight is only for JFK/BOS-LHR.
DL does not operate a day flight JFK-LHR on its own metal; they codeshare on the VS flight. BA and AA each operate the route on their own metal.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: DL, AA
Actually, VS/DL/BA/AA does have daylight flight is only for JFK/BOS-LHR.
Only BA runs a day flight BOS-LHR. (I realize you didn't break out the routes in detail, but FYI for others.)

Originally Posted by rwoman
DL does not operate a day flight JFK-LHR on its own metal; they codeshare on the VS flight. BA and AA each operate the route on their own metal.
AA doesn't operate a day flight either, it codes on BA's 2x day flights.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bk42
AA doesn't operate a day flight either, it codes on BA's 2x day flights.
Thanks - I'd flown it on the 772 before AA switched over to the codeshares on BA.

I believe VS also operates a daytime EWR-LHR.

Old May 22, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
But I think the VS Premium Economy option is a pretty good deal. Quite a bit better seats than EC, a moderate price, and you earn 150% MQM.
Agreed... VS W > DL EC (at least for those willing/able to pay). I enjoy not being constantly elbowed by the person next to me who is invariably too wide for their seat. Plus VS daytime flight out of JFK > any redeye ever, but that's not really the subject of this thread

I would probably pick DL J on a 76x over VS J, though a DL 777 is a wash. VS does have the bar, though...
Old May 24, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I see why this may be exciting from a passenger perspective (ability to use upgrade certs where you previously couldn't, etc), but can someone please explain the advantage of this from the perspective of both airlines? Seems to be essentially an even swap, so what's their motivation for doing this?
I think the airline motivation for DL is it offers its own metal LAX to the EU
And VS it gives them a slot to the busiest airport in the world. And it allows passengers with a DL or VS preference the option to both cities now.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I haven't been in the VS lounge at LAX (actually, I haven't been in any VS lounge ) but do you think VS travelers will be happy with the LAX SkyClub?
Currently there is no VS Clubhouse at LAX. The afternoon flight uses the KUro AIr NewZealnd lounge and the evening flt the VIrgin America lounge. The AZ lounge access ends in June or July so not sure what will happen then. Previously VS used the Air France lounge. It's not a big deal.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Why on Earth would paying J passengers like this news? Horrible news, Virgin product is much better.
Ground product yes, but the VS seat is impossible to work in (too narrow)... I much prefer DL westbound when I need to work.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Either something has changed, or the DL on-line schedule, the booking engine, as well as the downloadable timetable, are all wrong. They all show the new DL LAX flight, and also show the new VS ATL flight, BUT they have not removed the second VS flight from LAX or the third DL flight from ATL.

Like I said, I assume this is a mistake, but time will tell if something has changed.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I noticed that Delta is marketing DL 19 and DL 56 as "direct" LHR-LAX and LAX-LHR flights (with stops in DTW) on 9/2-9/30 only. The DL 19 and DL 56 flight numbers are currently used for "direct" service on LHR-MCO and FLL-LHR (both with stops in DTW), respectively, and they will return to those flights after 9/30.

Does anyone know why DL would play around with flight numbers like this before starting nonstop service on 10/26?

The corresponding DL 18 (MCO-LHR) and DL 57 (LHR-FLL) flight numbers will also be borrowed for other flights during the 9/2-9/30 period, but I haven't figured out what flights yet.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Is VS first nonstop LHR-ATL? Haven't they ever been in ATL before?

Other news, Delta will have 3 RT nonstop DFW-LAX, as well. It will operated E175.
That is, an Embraer 175 between Los Angeles and Dallas?

Wow. Can't wait to not fly that route.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
That is, an Embraer 175 between Los Angeles and Dallas?

Wow. Can't wait to not fly that route.
I love the E175's in Y. To me its a very comfortable ride. 18.25 inch seat width beats anything Delta would put on this route. And no middle seats.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by rylan
Its too bad we can't upgrade on the VS metal flights with DL certs or miles.
Is it possible this will change?

I was looking at some dates in 2015 and when searching for B fares, I came up with some W fares but all the flights in question are VS medal. The price is great and I would like to try VS to LHR although I have no particular complaints about DL medal to LHR.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
Is it possible this will change?

I was looking at some dates in 2015 and when searching for B fares, I came up with some W fares but all the flights in question are VS medal. The price is great and I would like to try VS to LHR although I have no particular complaints about DL medal to LHR.
Is it possible VS and DL could agree to using DL GUCs/miles to fly VS metal? Yes.

Also important to keep in mind VS premium economy seats (at least the ones I've seen) are similiar to domestic F, although I'd probably only book PE if I knew I was in a window or aisle since layouts include middle seats.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by rwoman
Is it possible VS and DL could agree to using DL GUCs/miles to fly VS metal? Yes.

Also important to keep in mind VS premium economy seats (at least the ones I've seen) are similiar to domestic F, although I'd probably only book PE if I knew I was in a window or aisle since layouts include middle seats.
Given VS don't offer their own top tier FF's certificates like this I can't see them allowing DL FF'rs to use them...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.