Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earning MQM/RDM by booking with Third Party

Old May 18, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles member

I am trying to book an international flight from LAX - BEY RT on Delta.com, Air france and its other partners, however, theay all have fares for about $2k RT in Y. I would like to fly Skyteam to earn MQM and RDM

Now when I go to Expedia or Cheapoair, the fares are substantially lower, like $1,200.00 or so, and I am very eager to book through these trips, and these trips have fare classes in K, Q, and S, which, according to Delta.com all earn 100% RDM and MQM (to each respective leg and airlines partner);

but my question is, are these fare classes advertised on Expedia or Cheapoair, the same CAPABLE EARNING Fare classes that would benefit me to earn MQM/Miles
Old May 18, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by i2ad10head
I am trying to book an international flight from LAX - BEY RT on Delta.com, Air france and its other partners, however, theay all have fares for about $2k RT in Y. I would like to fly Skyteam to earn MQM and RDM

Now when I go to Expedia or Cheapoair, the fares are substantially lower, like $1,200.00 or so, and I am very eager to book through these trips, and these trips have fare classes in K, Q, and S, which, according to Delta.com all earn 100% RDM and MQM (to each respective leg and airlines partner);

but my question is, are these fare classes advertised on Expedia or Cheapoair, the same CAPABLE EARNING Fare classes that would benefit me to earn MQM/Miles

I have booked domestic tickets on Orbitz, and have always gotten the same MQM's as if I had booked the trips on DL.com. As you might expect, the MQD's were fewer due to the lower fare.

You should be fine so long as the ticket is booked on 006 stock and is confirmed in one of the fare buckets found on DL.com.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
RDM and MQM don't require Delta ticket stock. They do require published fares.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
I think you should be fine. I got "screwed over" once when I booked over the phone with a travel agency. Got 0 MQDs and 25% MQMs. But I had a really good fare that even Expedia didn't have so I guess I can't complain.
Old May 19, 2014, 2:56 pm
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
If Delta.com has a higher fare then it might not be published. I know Travelocity will give you 24 hours to cancel. I would guess others do the same, I would book it and then call delta to take a look at it.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi, my mom booked an airfare on Expedia. It's a 006 ticket, T class, mostly on DL with 2 short segments operated by China Eastern. Would I earn 5 pts per $ (no status), or by some other formula? Expedia says ticket cost=$600, taxes & fees=$400, does that mean only the $600 earn RDM?

If credit to VS, T earns 75% of miles flown, which would be way more than 600 x 5 DL miles.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If credited to DL, any 006-ticketed or DL-coded flights earn under the revenue based rules.

For the MU rules to apply, you'd need to be ticketed on their ticket stock and flying MU-coded flights.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA
If credited to DL, any 006-ticketed or DL-coded flights earn under the revenue based rules.

For the MU rules to apply, you'd need to be ticketed on their ticket stock and flying MU-coded flights.
OK Thanks. So it definitely won't be credited using "special ticket" rate, right? (I wasn't sure since it was bought from OTA). Any idea about the "does that mean only the $604 ("ticket cost", see below) earn RDM" question?

[edit] - here's what Expedia shows:

Last edited by italdesign; Aug 19, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL
I booked a cheap Delta fare to Australia one time on cheapfareguru and only received I think 25% MQM. So before booking this, make sure the discount is enough to compensate for potential loss of benefits. I only book on Delta.com now (especially if someone else is paying!!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.