Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China 72 hour Transit Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

China 72 hour Transit Visa

I am arriving with Delta in PEK and will only be there for less than 72 hours. I heard about this new fee transit visa program. Delta told me to call the consulate, but was curious as some places say it should be requested by the airline. Thank you for any help.

Thank you,

Adam
Old May 2, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM
If you are going to a third country within 72 hours, no problem. Just show onward travel upon arrival. If you are coming back the the US within 72 hours, you MOST-DEFINITELY need a visa.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:46 am

As long as you have proof of your onward journey (i.e., your confirmation email with flight times/numbers, ticket numbers, payment info, etc) and you are heading to a different country from the one you came from, you should have no problems clearing immigration in PEK.

You will likely have some issues convincing the check-in and/or gate agents that you can in fact legally enter China under these circumstances without a visa, so plan on some extra time and hassle at your departure airport.

Also note that while USA-China-USA is not allowed, it is perfectly legal to fly, say, USA-China-NRT-USA or USA-NRT-China-USA, even if you do are just making a connection in NRT and not clearing immigration.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
To the OP: I have done this a couple of times and did not have a hassle. Just have proof of your onward ticket (and NOT a roundtrip) and you will be fine.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
We just finished an "in transit trip" booked on two separate itineraries . I was over prepared with a download from the Chinese Embassy, a print out of the visa requirements from Timatic, etc. We got to the departing airport (PHX) hours early, and the gate agent agent looked at the onward trip, and said okay, and we were on our way in minutes. In PEK, there are dedicated customs lines for the "in transit". We got through faster than others. It was no big deal, and I would do it again in a flash.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a long and very informative thread on this in the China forum.

OP should note that it is NOT a 72 hour transit VISA but rather a rule that permits transit WITHOUT visa. Calling it a 72 hour visa will only cause confusion.

When I did this, I had trouble with DL agents at NRT not wanting to let me board, then wanting me to make a reservation to spend three days in some airport hotel at PVG. YMMV.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Semi-related... I'll be in HKG for several days later this year, and was thinking about doing a day tripper to Shenzhen (a short train ride away, but in mainland China).

Is the only option for a US citizen a full blown visa? I've gotten Chinese tourist visas before, but I don't have a current one, and would rather not go through the trouble and expense ($130) for this one time use for under a day.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Semi-related... I'll be in HKG for several days later this year, and was thinking about doing a day tripper to Shenzhen (a short train ride away, but in mainland China).

Is the only option for a US citizen a full blown visa? I've gotten Chinese tourist visas before, but I don't have a current one, and would rather not go through the trouble and expense ($130) for this one time use for under a day.
IIRC yes, but check the visa info in the China forum on FT.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM

Yes, full visa is required. But, why Shenzhen? Unless for business, there's not all that much to do tourist-wise. If just for fun, consider a day trip to Macau ... easily done on several companies' high speed ferries ... much more interesting.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Yes, full visa is required. But, why Shenzhen? Unless for business, there's not all that much to do tourist-wise. If just for fun, consider a day trip to Macau ... easily done on several companies' high speed ferries ... much more interesting.
If you just want to see a bit of mainland China, how about Guangzhou (formerly known as Canton)? It's a bit farther and much more interesting. Or just go to one of the small towns over the border from Kowloon.

BTW, Macau has frequent hydrofoil service from several points in Hong Kong, including the airport before you go through immigration and customs to enter Hong Kong. Or you can return from Macau to the airport and also avoid the step of entering Hong Kong. Check the rules and required time if you decide to do it this way.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

Another +1 for Macau over Shenzhen. Shenzhen has no redeeming qualities.

Another option for exploring the mainland is Zhuhai, just over the border from Macau.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Ah, I should've made that clear.

Ever heard of the mega geek markets for electronic components? That's my target destination.

As for mainland China, I've visited that a fair amount already, not enough to call myself an expert, but this time around just a day in Shenzhen will do.
Old May 2, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
If you are going to a third country within 72 hours, no problem. Just show onward travel upon arrival. If you are coming back the the US within 72 hours, you MOST-DEFINITELY need a visa.
I'm doing the same (SGN via PVG and RT the same). Has anyone had any trouble at the US end on the outbound with DL agents demanding Chinese visas? It seems to me they usually check for this and in my case there will be no visa (except for Vietnam).
Old May 2, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Ever heard of the mega geek markets for electronic components? That's my target destination.
In that case I understand fully. I used to troll Arch St. in Philadelphia weekly.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Be careful about the voltage. China uses 220 volt system with a variety of plugs (British standard, two-prong polarized, two-prong unpolarized, three-prong, EU standard, etc.) My apartment in Shanghai had four different outlets on the walls. If electronic market is primarily for foreigners, still be care about the voltage. Shenzhen is my next destination in China (but for work); maybe I'll see about the markets; thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.