Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why I'm Jumping from DL SM to VS Flying Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

In the face of the 2015 SM program changes, I have decided that Virgin Atlantic will prove better value for miles accrual and spend. Essentially, I like the idea that I could redeem on DL, SQ, NH, etc. and still be able to accrue on DL!

I remember my first flight to the US for college was on DL, and loved them since. Even fought to procure DM status when I was in college (and made it!). But the recent changes don't sit well with my friends and me.

Let me delineate why VS FC could be a viable DL surrogate for some of us. Good values for redemption, esp. on NH, NZ, and SQ. FC redemption on DL metal is comparable to (or even better than) DL. No minimum revenue spend on VS to hit the status tiers. FC accrual is a bit weak, but will still prove a little better for people who fly long-haul based on 2015 SM rules. Furthermore, upgrades, priority boarding/screening, and free baggage on DL for Gold FC members - yay.

The bonus 50/100% bonus on DL&VS for silvers/gold is comparable to DL's current program. Sure, from a DM to a low-priority upgrade - I can give up a few FC bloody marys, and I frankly don't mind the loss of DL benefits for a much much better loyalty experience.

Now, as I was jumping ship, I came across this...

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...e-friends.html

Well, if you guys want 3000 miles to kickstart your Flying Club career, let me know - PM me and I will be happy to send you a referral. In the interest of transparency, I also get a bonus kickback when you sign up and fly with VS.

-Edit- This said bonus kickback ranges from 1-10K miles for me. Thanks BusTrav8yrs for pointing out. I'm just sharing with y'all why this might be a better strategy for me - may be different for you.

Last edited by currentjer; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Where are you primarily based, BNA or SIN? Doesn't seem like it would work for someone based in Asia.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Well you are not 100% transparent, if the other person flies Prem Econ you get 5K miles and they get 3K and if they fly FC you get 10K miles and they only get 3K.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

BusTrav8yers, dude, I did provide y'all the link. Hongkonger, I'm mostly in SIN these days, but travel at times to BNA.

I think FC works for people like me when in Asia, since the redemptions on SQ would be helpful intra-SE-A. Decent rates, compared to DL needing 70K for partners within SE-A. And would I take a Singapore Girl over DL FAs? Hmmm.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If imagine VS elites are pretty low for the UG priority on DL...even below FO.

As with anything, it depends on each person's priorities.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Well there's not something you hear every day.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by currentjer
upgrades, priority boarding/screening, and free baggage on DL for Gold FC members - yay.
"Priority" boarding/screening, but not SkyPriority I believe. Doesn't this just mean Zone 1 boarding, which is the same as what DL Amex cardholders receive? And are you sure about priority security? Usually I see only two security lines, one for SP/Precheck passengers and one for regular passengers.

Also, no access to complimentary EC on DL flights. Not even discounted (as ST and VA elites get) or free at time of check-in (as FOs get).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I see one can redeem on several partner airlines, but I see no ability to redeem on a ticket that relies on codeshares or multiple airlines.

So, for example, BNA to SIN would need to use DL metal only, and not other partners. That would make this nearly impossible (with the assumption that only Low inventory would be available).

Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
VS gold benefits

I have flown delta several times now as a VS gold and have received pretty much everything a medallion member would. Sky priority for check-in, bags and boarding (SKY on BP) I get two free bags and EC seats for free. I also get tsa pre check, but that is probably due to my GE # and not my VS gold. I don't know much about the upgrades, since it started 4/1 and on my last flight I was already flying in FC. I did read over on v-flyer.com that those who have flown recently as VS gold are not on the bottom of the upgrade list at the gate. Low, but not last. It seems they were about equal to a gold medallion member.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:50 am

Unfortunately for a GM/PM/DM based in the US you would be giving up most of your complementary upgrades and free use of the SkyClub on international trips.

Now if VS joins Skyteam ...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by mikepa
Unfortunately for a GM/PM/DM based in the US you would be giving up most of your complementary upgrades and free use of the SkyClub on international trips.

Now if VS joins Skyteam ...
It wouldn't help the complimentary UG issue, but I'd love to have access to VS clubs on Y tickets.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:06 am
Original Poster

carolinaRN, seems like a good deal. I would still prefer to earn at least 100% miles on my DL flights. Segment qualifiers who fly about 50 DL flights a year, would also find the tier qualifications easy to hit.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM
....until DL (in VERY short time) brings accrual in line with SM. Then what? What's the plan then? It's coming.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Then I will rely on my *G status w UA (sigh) and fly with Virgin's other partners internationally.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by currentjer
carolinaRN, seems like a good deal. I would still prefer to earn at least 100% miles on my DL flights. Segment qualifiers who fly about 50 DL flights a year, would also find the tier qualifications easy to hit.
I do earn 100% of miles from my delta flights (for my virgin account)...plus a 100% bonus for being gold. I also get a 50% class of service bonus when flying first. The only thing I haven't done is redeem the miles for a reward ticket. Not sure how it compares to delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.