Search

DL Low Level Award space JFK to LIR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA
Question DL Low Level Award space JFK to LIR

Hi,

I'm looking to fly from JFK to LIR on a low level Award. Right now there is decent availability for when I want to go, early 2015. After my round trip I'd like to take advantage of the free one-way to go somewhere out west. With the current calendar, March 21st 2015 is the farthest out I can book and I'd like the one-way to be later in the year.

Does anyone know if the award space for JFK to LIR has historically been decent or should I try to book that as soon as possible? Is there a trick to adding a free oneway onto a booked award later when more dates open up? I asked a Delta rep last night if I could book the JFK LIR round trip, and if he could make a note so that I could add JFK - LAX later in the year, like October. He said no. I have read that some other airlines will do this for you. I'd rather not have to make the trip out west a month after the Costa Rica trip, but if that's the only option I could try to make it work.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:46 am

You can add the segment later, the agent will have to reissue the ticket. Depending on your status, it might be subject to change fees. I don't think there's a max stay requirement on the stopover. No problems.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by currentjer
You can add the segment later, the agent will have to reissue the ticket. Depending on your status, it might be subject to change fees. I don't think there's a max stay requirement on the stopover. No problems.
Thanks. I believe I'd be charged $150 to add the segment later. This will be my first time using miles/any mileage program so I don't have any status with Delta.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You might try pricing a dummy booking now to be sure that your prospective stopover city/routing is permitted for zero extra miles on your LIR-JFK return.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You might try pricing a dummy booking now to be sure that your prospective stopover city/routing is permitted for zero extra miles on your LIR-JFK return.
I had put in LAX and then a separate one to DEN and both priced out to no extra miles. And the DL rep I spoke to confirmed it.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm pretty sure that all segments must be flown within one year of the original ticketing date regardless of any reticketing that might occur. Is there a "free one-way" between now and the trip that you'd prefer to use? That way you could book it all now to avoid this issue and avoid the change fee.

ETA: I'm also not sure it's even a great savings to get a free one-way on a domestic coach ticket if it requires paying the $150 change fee. If you're flexible enough to find award space then you're probably flexible enough to find a roundtrip for around $400 depending on where exactly you want to go. In that case, each way only costs about $200, and depending on the difference between one-way and round-trip pricing, you may completely wipe out any savings.

Last edited by mattp1987; Apr 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm pretty sure that all segments must be flown within one year of the original ticketing date regardless of any reticketing that might occur. Is there a "free one-way" between now and the trip that you'd prefer to use? That way you could book it all now to avoid this issue and avoid the change fee.

ETA: I'm also not sure it's even a great savings to get a free one-way on a domestic coach ticket if it requires paying the $150 change fee. If you're flexible enough to find award space then you're probably flexible enough to find a roundtrip for around $400 depending on where exactly you want to go. In that case, each way only costs about $200, and depending on the difference between one-way and round-trip pricing, you may completely wipe out any savings.
Yeah, I don't think the $150 is worth it either. I'm hoping to find a way to have the free one-way tacked on after the original booking of the award without the change fee.

And we're planning to do the trip in early 2015, and I thought the free one-way had to be in the same calendar year as the main trip.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by mh1361
Yeah, I don't think the $150 is worth it either. I'm hoping to find a way to have the free one-way tacked on after the original booking of the award without the change fee.

And we're planning to do the trip in early 2015, and I thought the free one-way had to be in the same calendar year as the main trip.
I've never heard of a calendar year rule. I was able to price the following at 35k miles.

You selected these flights:
OutboundThu 11 Sep 2014 |4:00pmLAX to 12:30am JFK |Nonstop | Delta 2362 Show Details Hide Details
4:00pm LAX 12:30am 12SEP JFK Nonstop 5 h 30 m Delta 2362
Economy View Seats

Complete Delta Air Lines Baggage Information
This flight arrives the next day
Thu,11 Sep 2014
Departs: 4:00pm from Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
Arrives: 12:30am in New York John F Kennedy, NY (JFK)
Boeing 757 | View Seats
Economy | Meal Services
Delta 2362 5 h 30 m

ReturnThu 05 Feb 2015 |3:15pmJFK to 1:00pm LIR |1-stop | Delta 843 Delta 353 Show Details Hide Details
3:15pm JFK 1:00pm 06FEB LIR 1-stop 22 h 45 m
ATL15 h 59 m Layover
Delta 843
Delta 353
Economy
Economy View Seats

This flight arrives the next day
Thu,05 Feb 2015
Departs: 3:15pm from New York John F Kennedy, NY (JFK)
Arrives: 6:01pm in Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Boeing 737-800 | View Seats
Economy | Meal Services
Delta 843 2 h 46 m
Layover in Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Fri,06 Feb 2015
Departs: 10:00am from Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Arrives: 1:00pm in Guanacaste Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
Boeing 757 | View Seats
Economy | Meal Services
Delta 353 4 h 00 m

ReturnWed 11 Feb 2015 |2:00pmLIR to 11:59pm JFK |1-stop | Delta 356 Delta 1750 Show Details Hide Details
2:00pm LIR 11:59pm JFK 1-stop 8 h 59 m
ATL2 h 49 m Layover
Delta 356
Delta 1750
Economy
Economy View Seats

Wed,11 Feb 2015
Departs: 2:00pm from Guanacaste Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
Arrives: 6:56pm in Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Boeing 757 | View Seats
Economy | Meal Services
Delta 356 3 h 56 m
Layover in Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Wed,11 Feb 2015
Departs: 9:45pm from Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Arrives: 11:59pm in New York John F Kennedy, NY (JFK)
MD-88 | View Seats
Economy | Meal Services
Delta 1750 2 h 14 m

In-Flight services and amenities may vary and are subject to change.

Award Tickets cannot be redeposited or changed within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time.

Total Miles required: 35,000

TOTAL PER PASSENGER (USD) : $ 51.32
If you can use your one-way for the return portion of a trip this year I'd do that. Just be sure you'll actually fly it because if you no-show for a segment all remaining segments on the itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I've never heard of a calendar year rule. I was able to price the following at 35k miles.

If you can use your one-way for the return portion of a trip this year I'd do that. Just be sure you'll actually fly it because if you no-show for a segment all remaining segments on the itinerary will be cancelled.
Awesome, I'll have to try and use it before the flight. I think in an example I read of the free oneway it was explaining that all travel has to be done within a year of booking the ticket, and he used Jan 1st as the example date, so that threw me. And anyway, you can't book further than a year out so I'm not sure why that needs its own bullet point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.