Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DAL crushes it; very strong earnings report for Q1 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DAL crushes it; very strong earnings report for Q1 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Selling more miles increases the liability to Delta.
But it does increase the revenue line they were speaking about directly.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:43 am

While I am a low-fare flyer who is going to be bit majorly by the new FF program, I also got in on Delta stock at $5.55 a couple years ago. It's up 5.12% for the day right now, so I'll call it a wash.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
Selling more miles increases the liability to Delta.
I hope you are not a CPA.

Selling almost anything in advance has that affect.

On top of that, if you think Delta is taking a loss on selling skymiles, you're nuts. They won't sell them at a price where the liability recognized would be higher than the sale price.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
They won't sell them at a price where the liability recognized would be higher than the sale price.
Of course. But the more skymiles are sold, the more they need to be devalued to reduce the liability.
People who are cheering Delta now for grabbing more revenue by selling trillions of skymiles to AMEX should not be surprised when they find out that the lowest award level has been increased to 100,000 miles one way.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Apr 23, 2014 at 10:10 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: SQ
How is the competition doing?

Seems to me that everyone's doing well now that they've started trimming capacity and cutting costs (aka being sensible).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
How is the competition doing?

Seems to me that everyone's doing well now that they've started trimming capacity and cutting costs (aka being sensible).
Actually a good wiki keeping track of the legacies' 2014Q1 results in the UA forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...4-results.html
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Actually, it surprises me demand has not imploded yet. I am looking at TCON airfares and the only thing I see is $400+ rt.
Maybe it is my location. Boston has become extremely expensive to fly from.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG-Gold
Actually, it surprises me demand has not imploded yet. I am looking at TCON airfares and the only thing I see is $400+ rt.
Maybe it is my location. Boston has become extremely expensive to fly from.
Its not just you, I have been unable to get fares SAN-BOS that I need to fly 14 times a year. Last year I was 140K miles and this year I might get 20K BIS miles.

Corp travel is forcing me to use AS that has RT fares 396-450 vrs 650 -800+ on DL.

Really bites that I will go from DM to FO as a result
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by InsUW2
Its not just you, I have been unable to get fares SAN-BOS that I need to fly 14 times a year. Last year I was 140K miles and this year I might get 20K BIS miles.

Corp travel is forcing me to use AS that has RT fares 396-450 vrs 650 -800+ on DL.

Really bites that I will go from DM to FO as a result
Why not just credit some of the AS flights to DL so that you can get the DL MQMs and miles?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Of course. But the more skymiles are sold, the more they need to be devalued to reduce the liability.
Why do they need to reduce the liability? You do realize that the sale of miles creates an asset in addition to the liability?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Why do they need to reduce the liability? You do realize that the sale of miles creates an asset in addition to the liability?
They don't create "an asset".
If Delta is printing skymiles out of thin air and selling them to AMEX, the result is that Delta now has the dollars and AMEX the miles.
Next, AMEX tries to incentivize consumers to use AMEX credit cards by giving them the skymiles. Subsequently, consumers like we try to use those miles to buy award seats on Delta.
If it turns out that we cannot use those miles because Delta does not make enough award seats available, or makes them too expensive, we get upset and refuse to use AMEX credit cards. Then AMEX will be stuck with those miles, their profit goes down, and AMEX stock holders will be pissed.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by us2
I obviously can't post numbers from TravelNet, but suffice it to say that one must pick their flights carefully if traveling NRSA and aiming for an upgrade on LAX-JFK and vv. This has been far more successful at selling J seats than I anticipated.

On the plus side, those profit-sharing checks from my DL spouse are a welcome addition to the household income!!
I have a delta FA friend who routinely flies the JFK - LAX flights and according to him, he echos those sentiments with how successful the J allocation has been with paid seats. So, for those of you that hoped for Delta to imploded on the elimination of comp upgrades on JFK to LAX, doesn't look like its going to happen.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:15 am
Suspended

They don't create "an asset".
If Delta is printing skymiles out of thin air and selling them to AMEX, the result is that Delta now has the dollars and AMEX the miles.
Cash and receivables are not assets?

Next, AMEX tries to incentivize consumers to use AMEX credit cards by giving them the skymiles. Subsequently, consumers like we try to use those miles to buy award seats on Delta.
Yes. And that triggers revenue.

If it turns out that we cannot use those miles because Delta does not make enough award seats available, or makes them too expensive, we get upset and refuse to use AMEX credit cards. Then AMEX will be stuck with those miles, their profit goes down, and AMEX stock holders will be pissed.
That doesn't change the fact that selling the miles in the first place creates an asset on the balance sheet, just as it creates a liability.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
42 717s coming this year. I don't remember offhand, but this seems higher than previously.
Are these the refurbs coming over from WN, or others?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Are these the refurbs coming over from WN, or others?
They are the ones coming from WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.