Wiki Posts
Search

Why Skymiles 2015 looks good to me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm not saying you're doing this on purpose. I'm saying you aren't shopping around enough.
The time value loss(at my rate) associated with connecting is more than my total Delta ticket cost. Nevertheless, I still sacrifice my sleep and occasionally take a connecting flight if it's a good deal($300-400 less than Delta), but not always. That's part of the reason for my low MQMs.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by gooselee
Really?

Just off the top of my head, because I recently flew it, I did a search for ATL-MEM - out 5/12, back 5/15. The return is actually four full weeks from today.

DL has the only nonstop for $553. A 1-stop on DL is $452, and the only thing lower is FL at $422. Not exactly a gigantic difference, and you're spending over 7 hours travelling each way for that cheaper FL fare (shorter connections, still over 4 hours total transit time, are $446).

With the 500 mile minimum, the DL nonstop is a bit over $0.50 cpm. Doesn't take many of those to get your average CPM up to where OP's stats are.

If your employer doesn't think it's worth an extra $110 to save you 6 hours of travel time (or $130 to save 12 extra hours), they probably shouldn't be asking you to travel in the first place.
Those are really cheap fares. Try pricing MSP-OKC or even RST-OKC. And my spend is almost half of the OPs. I'm paying way higher fares that $553 lately.

I use Concur and it will green light any fare within about $150 if it's a connection. If it's direct, I can book any flight over a connection if the connection saves less than $200 or adds more than 2 hours.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:44 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I only wish Delta would go to the extent American and United is and only give access to skyclub members and their premium credit card holders and eliminate Am Ex Platinum free access, but we all know that won't happen with their Am Ex relationship.
My AMEX Platinum Card membership is 700€/per year. That is far from "free."
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Those are really cheap fares. Try pricing MSP-OKC or even RST-OKC. And my spend is almost half of the OPs. I'm paying way higher fares that $553 lately.

I use Concur and it will green light any fare within about $150 if it's a connection. If it's direct, I can book any flight over a connection if the connection saves less than $200 or adds more than 2 hours.

So...are you saying that you aren't shopping around enough and your employer should audit your plane tickets, too?

If OP consistently booked the ATL-MEM-ATL route I just found for the 18.5 RTs represented by their 37 MQS this year, they'd be just about spot on to those MQDs ($10230 minus taxes/fees). But apparently those are "really cheap fares"...

Last edited by gooselee; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM

So...are you saying that you aren't shopping around enough and your employer should audit your plane tickets, too?

If OP consistently booked the ATL-MEM-ATL route I just found for the 18.5 RTs represented by their 37 MQS this year, they'd be just about spot on to those MQDs ($10230 minus taxes/fees). But apparently those are "really cheap fares"...
Can't wait for a reply to this.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec

Conqur has all your employer's rules built in, so it won't let you go outside that without sending up a big red flag. As long as you're within that range you're within policy. In fact that is one of the things I think Delta is overlooking with the 2015 change. There are a lot of people with leeweay to pay a little extra to always fly their preferred airline. And Skymiles in it's current form was a good way to incentivize that. Now that incentive is mostly gone after this year if you are in a competitive market. And most people aren't going to jump back and forth to only fly Delta if the ticket is expensive enough to merit more miles. They are just going to pick a new preferred airline.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
As I stated in an earlier post I wish Delta would do away with rollover miles and give more SWU's. Status is WAY too easy to obtain on Delta compared to other carriers. People continually say on FT WFBF. If someone wants status, same thing, fly the required BIS miles required each year.

The Global Upgrades are a great benefit and help make a big distinction between PM and DM, something Delta lacked in the past. But with the old certificates, you were required to buy an M or B fare, which aren't cheap and couldn't even confirmed 90% of the time. Delta is making a big improvement (for now) with the global certs.

I like that Delta gives out a free skyclub membership to diamonds (and it will be even more valuable next week since people will have to pay to bring in guests and it will be less crowded), but as I stated before I would be willing to pay for a skyclub membership if it meant a better lounge experience like an AA flagship lounge.

Also the virgin partnership is great. I don't think anyone on here is going to complain about having access to the Virgin skyclub at LHR at T3.

Coterminal benefit is also great for Diamonds. I am flying to DC tomorrow, last minute trip and coach to Reagan where I want to fly is more than a FCM ticket to Baltimore. I simply booked a cheap first class ticket to Baltimore and called the diamond benefit and used the coterminal benefit and SDC'd into a first class seat to Reagan and saved a lot of money. That could be a benefit on United and an EP American benefit as well not sure.
2 posts exhorting your wonderful maneuver (some would say, gaming the system). Way to go, you managed to work the system in a way it's not intended for. After this gets abused too much, those who did the abusing will be complaining it's gone.
Blows my mind!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by scottsam66
2 posts exhorting your wonderful maneuver (some would say, gaming the system). Way to go, you managed to work the system in a way it's not intended for. After this gets abused too much, those who did the abusing will be complaining it's gone.
Blows my mind!
+1

Though I can't exactly blame him for using that loophole as DL opened the door for it. And in theory, coterminal changes aren't allowed (it's an unpublished DM benefit), so, again in theory, this shouldn't have been possible.

I suppose DL could leave the premium cabin SDC flexibility there and clamp down on coterminal changes, but all that would change is a couple words in the title of the upcoming complaint/devaluation/I'm-leaving-for-AA thread.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

Green is good in Concur. Even if it's a yellow and you select the reason for it being out of policy as to saving less than 2 hours or $200 it's good but it will flag someone. So I guess you could say all of my flights are audited.

He has more than 18,500 MQMs so I guess he didn't book them all to MEM. But, If I were to book OKC, RAP, OMA, etc. all the time, I would be way up there too for MQDs. I fly to a lot of cheap cities too like PHX and LAS and if I have to go to the Bay Area, I usually fly to OAK via LAX. It's usually much cheaper than SFO.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Green is good in Concur. Even if it's a yellow and you select the reason for it being out of policy as to saving less than 2 hours or $200 it's good but it will flag someone. So I guess you could say all of my flights are audited.

He has more than 18,500 MQMs so I guess he didn't book them all to MEM. But, If I were to book OKC, RAP, OMA, etc. all the time, I would be way up there too for MQDs. I fly to a lot of cheap cities too like PHX and LAS and if I have to go to the Bay Area, I usually fly to OAK via LAX. It's usually much cheaper than SFO.
As I once administered Concur for my company, I'm quite familiar with how it functions on both the front end and back end.

Maybe OP has rollover. Maybe he hasn't taken a long MR/VR that you do every so often. OP may have only 18.5k MQM this year and just some rollover. Neither you or I know. We also don't know if OP also uses Concur and every one of his trips has been green lighted.

What I do know it that it's a bit silly to first accuse OP of spending to much, and then when offered an example of how OPs travel pattern could very well be the cheapest logical fares each and every time, follow up by saying that those are "really cheap fares" and you often book more expensive ones.

At this point, I'm a bit unsure what you're even arguing.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 pm

As I once administered Concur for my company, I'm quite familiar with how it functions on both the front end and back end.

Maybe OP has rollover. Maybe he hasn't taken a long MR/VR that you do every so often. OP may have only 18.5k MQM this year and just some rollover. Neither you or I know. We also don't know if OP also uses Concur and every one of his trips has been green lighted.

What I do know it that it's a bit silly to first accuse OP of spending to much, and then when offered an example of how OPs travel pattern could very well be the cheapest logical fares each and every time, follow up by saying that those are "really cheap fares" and you often book more expensive ones.

At this point, I'm a bit unsure what you're even arguing.
Put it this way, if I was booking 3 weeks out all the time I'm pretty certain I could do it cheaper. Yes, we don't know a lot of the details about the OPs flying. I just find it odd that he has spent so much.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:58 pm

What's the nutshell version of the changes?

?? Been quite sometime since I've been here! Haven't heard of any Delta scoop lately.

TIA!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
SkyMiles 2015 looks good to me. Makes it easier for me to start flying AA more, like I will be tomorrow. Fortunately my Kryptonium status is valid everywhere. They know who I am and will even let me ride in the jumpseat.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
United's business class isn't that bad and you can use the global upgrades on Lufthansa which has a better business product IMO than Delta.

I like the direct aisle access on Delta, but if I'm flying with my wife it isn't a big deal having her for a seat mate. I have to fly Delta 125K miles to earn four certificates and only have to fly United 100K for six. United gives an additional 2 for every 50K flown past 100K. I will probably have over 150K MQMs on Delta this year so that would mean my wife and I could take 2 round trips on a cheap fare internationally with United as opposed to one on Delta.

I was able to make FCM work great for me this morning. I had to book a last minute trip to DC for tomorrow. I prefer Reagan over Baltimore. Baltimore FCM last minute was cheaper than Economy to DCA since DCA . I noticed first class is open both ways so booked BWI in first, called the diamond desk and SDC'd into the DCA flight into first^^^^ Flying into Reagan airport on a confirmed first class seat for less than what a coach ticket cost on the same route. I would have never been able to have done that if it wasn't for the recent change to the SDC policy for FCM fares.
Well, as a stockholder (and someone with scruples), this really pi$$es me off. I hope that those at DL HQ that monitor this board take note of this and eliminate this loophole for gamers. It is abuse of the system. If it can't be controlled individually, it needs to be controlled systematically.

Last edited by bubbashow; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:15 pm

Doesn't make me mad...I just shake my head. Why would someone post a loophole (which is acceptable to Delta) - so it can be closed?

I used to know a way to get NWA WBC tickets at low level to Europe on every TATL flight I needed. I didn't share it with anyone and it lasted for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.