Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Skymiles 2015 looks good to me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The post in question stated that they were getting GM status which requires 50k EQM.
That would mean MPM each way would be at least 25000 (which is not true.)
RDM was not mentioned by the poster, only EQM.
The OP of this thread is about RDM, not MQM/EQM, but tracking back the posts I see what you're talking about.

In any case, the MR forum here is full of all kinds of wacko routings to get extra MQM. Put together a US-Asia trip going TATL with a couple stopovers and a COS bonus, and it isn't out of the realm of possibility to make GM in one trip (plus, that poster may have come in with rollover miles, etc.)

The extreme example aside, though, the core argument remains valid. In the current, distance-based RDM system, it becomes quite easy to accrue tons of RDMs with very little spend, which can then be used to redeem for very expensive flights.

I don't blame anyone for doing this, but by aliging RDMs to spend, DL is moving to a model that is by no means perfect, but does do a better job at rewarding the people that spend lots of money to travel short distances, rather than vice versa.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Correct but there seem to be a lot of people who take pride in being HVCs when in fact it is their employer who is the HVC. Just doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
^^^^^

This is my favorite post of the year.

^^^^^

David
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Correct but there seem to be a lot of people who take pride in being HVCs when in fact it is their employer who is the HVC. Just doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
While I agree with what you say is almost certainly correct it creates a problem. I keep hearing about profitability of legacy airlines come from people who sit up front on business fares. Now of course WN et all show that profitability can come from a different business model. If we did not have employers (HVCs) the airline industry (probably worldwide) would be totally different and all these threads about loyalty programs/FF programs would be moot anyway.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
OPM aside, it's a bit ridiculous that some of us have to pay these fares. Competition around me makes it pretty affordable most of the time - even ATL is reasonable.

I think that even if I bought all FCM fares in 2015, I'd do worse than I do now. That's just the nature of the market I guess.
Same here, for the routes I take even when I'm flying full "Y" or higher I won't even break even.

If you live in a competitive market and have other options the message from Delta is go ahead and take those other options. Seems like a poor long term strategy to me. They can't sustain a full service airline if all they want to do is fly hub to hub.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
"A" ticket on my most common route, if I took it next week Monday-Friday

Cost: $1032 (915 MQDs)
MQM Miles: ~4100
RQM (as a Gold): ~10400 miles

Under 2015 rules:
RQM: 7320 miles (915 MQDs x 8 for Gold)

An "A" ticket for a flight less than a week away and the decrease in earn is just over 25%
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Zeeb
"A" ticket on my most common route, if I took it next week Monday-Friday

Cost: $1032 (915 MQDs)
MQM Miles: ~4100
RQM (as a Gold): ~10400 miles

Under 2015 rules:
RQM: 7320 miles (915 MQDs x 8 for Gold)

An "A" ticket for a flight less than a week away and the decrease in earn is just over 25%
[bubba]You unprofitable gamer, go buy your $1,000+ tickets on another airline.[/bubba]
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:46 pm

I plugged in the same itinerary but leaving from MSP rather than connecting from my regional airport to MSP. An "A" ticket goes to $1600 (1450 MQD) by removing the XXX-MSP leg, so under the 2015 system would go from being worth about 8,000 miles to being worth 11,600.

So if you're a hub captive, congrats, more miles.

If you are not a hub captive and have other choices? Far fewer miles. Even on short notice high far tickets.

I understand that some people will gain from this. But that doesn't mean that everyone who loses is flying on cheapo tickets and trying to game the system.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by us2

If the people paying the bills continue to do so, they've made the judgment that they're not wasting money.
+1
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
I generally feel the same way as the OP, except that being DM in Seattle meant good upgrades to JFK and back but now those are gone. That was the main reason I switched to DL from AS.

I don't understand the hate though. Dude (or his company - it's irrelevant) spent a lot of money on his tickets. Who cares?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
[bubba]You unprofitable gamer, go buy your $1,000+ tickets on another airline.[/bubba]
Whew, I feel appropriately shamed and unimportant now.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM
You end up only a little worse if you're a DM.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that you would earn more as a DM in 2014 as well.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
LOL. Bubba would never buy an A (or G or P or Z fares). He believes in only buying F and J fares I'd hope he wouldn't game the system by buying a discount fare since those would result in less profit to Delta
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
DELETE. Posted before OP edited his post
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
You end up only a little worse if you're a DM.
True, but even a DM loses out on that example, which is actual numbers I pulled from Delta's website for non hypothetical flights with an "A" fare Monday-Friday next week.

A DM would currently earn about 11,250 miles under current rules with an "A" far on that route (4,100 miles base, 2,050 class of service, 5,100 miles DM bonus)

A DM would earn 10,065 miles under 2015 rules (915 MQDsx11), a decrease of about 10%
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:32 pm

However, the same hub captive DM would earn more due to the $1,600 "A" fare (1,450 MQDs) I got by removing the XXX-MSP leg of the flight. The hub captive would earn 15,950 miles under the 2015 system. An increase of 83% from what they'd earn in 2015

So just like the GM, the hub captive DM, who has higher ticket prices for the exact same fare class, gains from the 2015 system. The guy who lives a couple hundred miles away in a competitive market loses despite buying discounted first or full economy fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.