Why Skymiles 2015 looks good to me

Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
I'm with you OP, I love what DL is doing.
TTH (thin the herd)
WFBF
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:55 pm

I find most of the comments here not particularly relevant to the changes to the program. I, and all my colleagues who fly more than 75,000 or 125,000 miles per year will continue to maintain our medallion status regardless of how much we pay for our tickets. Similarly, those who earn MQMs with credit cards will continue to do so at the same rate that they use their cards. So I see no "thinning of the herd" occurring on the basis of the change in how RDMs are earned, despite however much those whose pathetic sense of elitism might depend on the idea that those who pay less for tickets are inferior. The ratio of dollars spent to RDM is indeed going up, but the primary determinants of the value of RDMs will be the availability of award seats and the redemption charts anyway, which have always been, and always will be, completely at Delta's whim.

Last edited by flyerslc; Apr 21, 2014 at 11:15 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I find most of the comments here not particularly relevant to the changes to the program. I, and all my colleagues who fly more than 75,000 or 125,000 miles per year will continue to maintain our medallion status regardless of how much we pay for our tickets. Similarly, those who earn MQMs with credit cards will continue to do so at the same rate that they use their cards. So I see no "thinning of the herd" occurring on the basis of the change in how RDMs are earned, despite however much those whose pathetic sense of elitism might depend on the idea that those who pay less for tickets are inferior. The ratio of dollars spent to RDM is indeed going up, but the primary determinant of the value of RDMs will be the availability of award seats and the redemption charts anyway, which have always been. and always will be, completely at Delta's whim.
+1....how nice to read a post devoid of baseless emotion and totally rational. The new program will help some, and will not help others. I wish continued success to you and your colleagues who undoubtedly have much more class than some folks here. At the end, Karma will be there for us all, and unlike some others here, it will be your friend. Best wishes.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM
I find most of the comments here not particularly relevant to the changes to the program. I, and all my colleagues who fly more than 75,000 or 125,000 miles per year will continue to maintain our medallion status regardless of how much we pay for our tickets. Similarly, those who earn MQMs with credit cards will continue to do so at the same rate that they use their cards. So I see no "thinning of the herd" occurring on the basis of the change in how RDMs are earned, despite however much those whose pathetic sense of elitism might depend on the idea that those who pay less for tickets are inferior. The ratio of dollars spent to RDM is indeed going up, but the primary determinants of the value of RDMs will be the availability of award seats and the redemption charts anyway, which have always been, and always will be, completely at Delta's whim.
You don't see any thinning of the herd based on opportunistic choices regarding RDM earning? Why offer in the first place then?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
OP, I don't know your situation, but for me, my employers expect I'll be booking the lowest fares. Sometimes I have no notice of when I need to travel and have to book expensive buckets if it is the lowest available at the time. If, as one poster suggested, that is "wasting" OPM, I just don't know how to argue that.

Granted, I fly a lot and am a bit sick of the FF game; worrying about upgrades and the like. I'm lucky I get to choose my own travel method ( I'm really close with my employers and they know I'm booking fares lower than they'd find for me). I've divided my loyalty to whoever can get me to where I'm going in the best, least expensive manner ( best usually winning, within reason). I'll still easily make PM on DL this year, bit I'll have to watch my spend and may need to lean on my AMEX to qualify. At least I have that out.

The new Skymiles is positioning exactly the way DL wants it to and I agree it seems a fair program. I have for years lamented the loss of easy upgrades and am already sad for the loss of the MR and easy mileage earning, but it was an unsustainable model in the long term. DL will still have a big place in my travels, but I know my place and have already adjusted how I play.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:05 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Since you posted your stats. I assume because AMEX spend is only 4K that you are on OPM. Congratulations on wasting the revenue of others.

If the people paying the bills continue to do so, they've made the judgment that they're not wasting money.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Janus777
I'm with the OP! I'm thinking the program is actually pretty fair. As a hub captive I pay more for my trips no matter what. I never had time to do mileage runs, so really I just want my rewards to have some relationship to the fair paid..
The crazy structure was paying crap miles for short expensive hops and then ridiculous for overseas. Ran a trip to Cambodia this year and got my Gold status in one flight, that's silly.

When did flying long hauls work like a BOGO? I like the new program, and the idea that it might thin the herd is even better...empty seats in first/business is actually an improvement and adds value to those buckets.

I actually really like flying on Korea Air in business and it was not filled with non-revs, and medallions riding upgrades..
Tell me which fare has MPM of 25000 each way?
Even accounting for a 1.5x bonus in premium, find me ANY TPAC fare with a MPM of 16,000 or higher.
(last time I checked DL TPAC fares are MPM fares except for some contract fares which are even more restrictive in routing rules.)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Salt of the earth...you absolutely deserve it. You will never gain the approval of the low-rev MR crowd, but they will be phased out of every FF program in the next few years.

It looks good to me too and is the FAIREST loyalty program I have seen.
The equally large problem is ticketing stock-for some contracts this gives TAs no choice except to plate on OAL and commission may be less when plating on DL.
Therefore someone flying exclusively AF/KL TATL + 4 DL segments due to connections is also worse off (and DL gets revenue off KL/AF TATL)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments

I get why some people don't like it, but it certainly makes Delta more attractive than any other airline for me.

I fly coach, booked 3 weeks out.
I don't get it. Under the old system, you would have been FO next year with your current stats. Under the new system, you will be FO next year with your current stats. Nothing has changed for you.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Tell me which fare has MPM of 25000 each way?
Even accounting for a 1.5x bonus in premium, find me ANY TPAC fare with a MPM of 16,000 or higher.
(last time I checked DL TPAC fares are MPM fares except for some contract fares which are even more restrictive in routing rules.)
ATL-NRT-SIN is over 20,000 miles round-trip. Factor in a 100% or 125% Medallion bonus, and you have someone receiving 40,000-45,000 miles for one trip. That is more than enough for one domestic award ticket - it's almost enough for two.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1....how nice to read a post devoid of baseless emotion and totally rational. The new program will help some, and will not help others. I wish continued success to you and your colleagues who undoubtedly have much more class than some folks here. At the end, Karma will be there for us all, and unlike some others here, it will be your friend. Best wishes.
So typical....calling those with whom you do not agree classless. I am always amused by those post by those who are having a very hard time understanding that are simply not as valuable to DL as they believe and lash out at those who are.

And we will not even go into what Karma has in store for them......
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't get it. Under the old system, you would have been FO next year with your current stats. Under the new system, you will be FO next year with your current stats. Nothing has changed for you.
He'll have more miles to help him feel better about that.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM
I find most of the comments here not particularly relevant to the changes to the program. I, and all my colleagues who fly more than 75,000 or 125,000 miles per year will continue to maintain our medallion status regardless of how much we pay for our tickets. Similarly, those who earn MQMs with credit cards will continue to do so at the same rate that they use their cards. So I see no "thinning of the herd" occurring on the basis of the change in how RDMs are earned, despite however much those whose pathetic sense of elitism might depend on the idea that those who pay less for tickets are inferior. The ratio of dollars spent to RDM is indeed going up, but the primary determinant of the value of RDMs will be the availability of award seats and the redemption charts anyway, which have always been. and always will be, completely at Delta's whim.
Originally Posted by waltinsoca
--------------------------------------------------
LMAO...Pot. Kettle. Black.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm with OP. ^

And for those making comments about OPM - well, when my client calls on Thursday and asks me to be there on Monday, it's not like I'm going to tell them no. They've already decided it's worth spending their money to get me there. When I go to book I spend their money like it's my own and find the cheapest logical fare being sold at that time. Four days out, "cheapest" isn't exactly going to be cheap, but I certainly don't feel like I'm wasting their money.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
OP, I'm guessing that your company is paying for these expensive fares?
Why should Delta care who is paying the expensive fares. The airline's only goal is to use its perks to encourage more purchases of expensive fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.