Flew in F on AS today..hated it

Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Cute: Support the local industry.

BTW, what are these locally made liquors? Cognac from California?
They have really good pacific NW wines, beers, and I think their new vodka is distilled in Seattle.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Funny, I needed to fly back into PDX a few weeks ago from the east coast and so found a great DL -up fare. I was on a decrepit 757, with about a 12"x18" piece of plastic missing near my feet, so I could see into the fuselage. They plugged it with a pillow and blanket ;-) and told me it wasn't keeping us from flying!

I think it is so route/plane specific. I mix pretty evenly between DL, AA and AS metal, often in F and have had bad/good/excellent on all of them. Rating any one of them on a single segment is going to be a bit misleading.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
The plate served on a bare tray table with no placemat drives me nuts. Just doesn't seem clean after seeing people change diapers, cut finger nails, etc on tray tables.

And yes, I'm one of those people who travels with a packet of Clorox disinfecting wipes -- don't touch the remote control in the hotel room without disinfecting it first!
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
But HA offers 45" with better seats on their A330s.
I understand. I would have taken the 9" difference.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:21 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Cute: Support the local industry.

BTW, what are these locally made liquors? Cognac from California?
It is impossible to be Cognac if it's from California, same as it's impossible to be Champagne if it's produced in California.

Cognac and Champagne are "region specific" beverages with very specific regulations vis-a-vis the grow areas and grapes.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I am also not impressed by AS first class. The ugly carpeting on the bulkhead feels so outdated and nasty. Also, I have found the service to be a bit too casual. For example, the official policy is that the F lav is open to use by Y pax except on international flights (so flights to Canada). Also, on more than one flight on AS I have noticed an obviously dirty cabin upon boarding....food on the floor, etc.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Why does AS not serve PDB? (excluding cups of water)

AS's FAA regulators prohibit AS from leaving DL-style mini water bottles on seats?? What does this mean? Why does AS have its own FAA regulators? Why would they not belong to the same FAA organization? Why would AS be prohibited and not DL?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems strange. Probably not specific regulators, but maybe specific to the aircraft configuration, some regulator once and AS never challenged it since there's alternatives to a zillion little bottles a year.

DL does not recycle? Really??
Last I checked, not systemwide, no. There was an ATL (and maybe JFK) recycling initiative they used to make a big deal about, but don't hear much of it lately
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Why does AS not serve PDB? (excluding cups of water)

AS's FAA regulators prohibit AS from leaving DL-style mini water bottles on seats?? What does this mean? Why does AS have its own FAA regulators? Why would they not belong to the same FAA organization? Why would AS be prohibited and not DL?

DL does not recycle? Really??

What plastic, glass and aluminum needs to be incinerated as required by law?
Each airline has its own representative at the FAA who makes rules specific to that airline. This was especially relevant a year or so ago when different airlines had different policies regarding what was allowed in seatback pockets.

DL recycles at select stations. ATL, SEA, and SFO come immediately to mind. PDX, JFK, and LAX likely have have such facilities as well. AS switched its plastic cups to those made with plastic #1 instead of the plastic #5 used for other airlines' cups. Plastic #1 is much more widely recycled.

The federal government requires airlines to incinerate all trash from selected international flights.

I'd imagine DL has a list of airports where it recycles. Recently, AS has started advertising its new cups and how it recycles on all flights.

In addition to many internationally known brands, AS serves a variety of liquors made by Sun Liquors in Seattle, such as a hazelnut espresso vodka.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
It is impossible to be Cognac if it's from California, same as it's impossible to be Champagne if it's produced in California.

Cognac and Champagne are "region specific" beverages with very specific regulations vis-a-vis the grow areas and grapes.
And no feta or parmesan (or many others for that matter) cheese for you, from Wisconsin that is! The region specific mandate/copyright is a bit of protectionism being pushed by the EU. The number of people that could blind taste test high quality products from different parts of the world is very small. There should be nothing that prevents someone from trying to make something in the style of another region.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
They have really good pacific NW wines, beers, and I think their new vodka is distilled in Seattle.
To me, the word liquors doesn't normally include wine and beer.

I know that; I was being facetious and should have used a smiley. In fact, I'm very critical when FAs refer to any sparkling wine as champagne.

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Each airline has its own representative at the FAA who makes rules specific to that airline. This was especially relevant a year or so ago when different airlines had different policies regarding what was allowed in seatback pocket

In addition to many internationally known brands, AS serves a variety of liquors made by Sun Liquors in Seattle, such as a hazelnut espresso vodka.
Maybe the water bottles aren't distributed on AS so they can't end up in seat pockets.

Somehow I find the idea of hazelnut espresso vodka to be frightening. I wouldn't want it in a screwdriver.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
And no feta or parmesan (or many others for that matter) cheese for you, from Wisconsin that is! The region specific mandate/copyright is a bit of protectionism being pushed by the EU. The number of people that could blind taste test high quality products from different parts of the world is very small. There should be nothing that prevents someone from trying to make something in the style of another region.
I hope you don't like California Mountain Chablis.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I know that; I was being facetious and should have used a smiley. In fact, I'm very critical when FAs refer to any sparkling wine as champagne.
RollsRoyceAndy, I enjoy California Sparkling Wines as well as Prosecco. I have no issues with "in the style of another region," just DO NOT call it by a region-specific name.

I've lived in New Hampshire for years. Some of my favorite cheeses are from Vermont (I actually, have gone to some pretty upscale Vermont cheese dinners at L'Espalier in Boston). I share Bourbon (from Kentucky) with all of my friends in Amsterdam.

This has nothing to do with "blind taste tests," but more so with accurately naming products.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
This has nothing to do with "blind taste tests," but more so with accurately naming products.
Well in that spirit, are any of the domestic first class really first class?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
....... but more so with accurately naming products.
Somebody needs a Kleenex!!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well in that spirit, are any of the domestic first class really first class?
lots of folks here don't think so

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.