Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL+OZ Shared Itinerary - Technical Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club

So, I'm due for my annual visit to the States next month. My job booked me on ICN-NRT (OZ) and NRT-ATL on DL.

As much as I love travel, reading the boards, etc., I've actually never experienced an itinerary like this (two separate carriers that aren't affiliated). Normally, I just fly KE, but "money saving, blah blah, new economy, blah blah." It was actually $1,000 cheaper.

My boss booked it through a Korean travel website.

It says on my form that "SEL-ATL" I get two bags. I called Delta and they said that seems to be the case, but it just seems weird. I always thought that I had to follow the rules of the last carrier (DL) for my bag rules to America?

Also, what happens if there is a delay/cancellation etc? Delta said Asiana would be responsible (if something happened coming from ICN-NRT, for example)? I thought that, since they aren't in an alliance together, that they wouldn't help each other?

They also said that they could help me at the airport. I wouldn't be stuck deferring to the travel agent. This part is perhaps the most important (with the time change, if something's happening in America, I can't call a Korean business). I thought airlines always put the effort on the travel agent in problematic situations?

I'm not too worried about problems as I have a 2.5-3 hour layover in NRT, but better safe than sorry!

The ticket was sold as one reservation together. For instance, when I added my Skymiles number to the reservation, the OZ flight pops up on DL.com and everything.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
It says on my form that "SEL-ATL" I get two bags. I called Delta and they said that seems to be the case, but it just seems weird. I always thought that I had to follow the rules of the last carrier (DL) for my bag rules to America?

Also, what happens if there is a delay/cancellation etc? Delta said Asiana would be responsible (if something happened coming from ICN-NRT, for example)?
U.S. Dept of Transportation rules require the same allowance to apply over the whole itinerary, and that the (standard, not elite) allowance be stated on the ticket receipt.

Industry convention requires that the carrier delivering you late to the connecting point be responsible for rebooking you. So if OZ is late to NRT, yes, OZ rebooks you.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The important part is that you have a single ticket/itinerary using carriers that interline with each other.

Also, IIRC OZ uses Terminal 1 at NRT, the same as DL but at the opposite end of the building, so you are spared from the hassle of using the inter terminal bus.

However, one suspects that you may have an unpublished or consolidator fare. IIRC since it was purchased through an Asian travel agent, you should still earn MQMs and with an Asian address (I assume), MQDs won't matter for you. You might want to verify these details so that there are no surprises.

BTW, OZ should be good.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I need to cross my Ts and dot my Is, that kind of thing. Thanks everyone.

I'm Q on OZ and U on DL.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

I also just saw this on the DL website. Clarification!

**Note: All passengers who purchase a ticket on/after April 1, 2014 who originate travel from select locations in Asia (China, Guam, Hong Kong, Palau, Saipan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand) and are traveling to the United States, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, or South America will receive two (2) free checked bags for their entire journey. In addition, all passengers who purchase a ticket on/after April 1, 2014 who originate travel in Japan and are traveling to Hawaii will also receive two (2) free checked bags for their entire journey.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
You should be OK for the two bags (long haul is the governing factor) and the connection (plenty of time since same terminal). Because OZ is Star Alliance, you might want to join UA MP if you aren't a member. U fare class on DL will get you 100% of the miles whereas riding on KE would have not. Did this just last year (OZ to NRT and DL to Georgia). Enjoy your tip home from Gyeonggido (I also live in that provence).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I need to cross my Ts and dot my Is, that kind of thing. Thanks everyone.

I'm Q on OZ and U on DL.

I do this all the time when flying for work to one of the smaller cities in the US, Africa or EE. I often get KE and AA to the US for example (not KE/DL, you go figure). You should be fine though. Just make sure you input the right frequent flyer number for each segment of the flight and reconfirm when getting your boarding passes. Otherwise you miles may not get credited, in which case save your boarding passes and e-ticket so that you can file a claim later with the corresponding airline.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think DL allows you to use different FF numbers for different segments of the same itinerary or to change the FF number after the flights have been flown. OP will probably need to try to retroclaim miles for at least some of the segments.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

I posted DL to my DL segment first, then called Asiana and added my Asiana number. On the Asiana website, only the ICN-NRT segment shows. I imagine it's ok. I'll confirm at check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.