Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Multi-carrier lounge access strategy?

Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi all:

I expect this is the wrong place to post, but here goes...

SFO is home base but I tend to have to split travel across American, Delta and United and I'd like to figure out a reasonable plan to get access to lounges without enrolling in all three clubs. I'm open to AMEX platinum or other approaches.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:55 am

I wonder if https://www.prioritypass.com is an option for you?

I don't believe they work with Delta anymore, though.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Delta, at least, allows access to members when traveling on a same day ticket on another airline (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...use-rules.html). However, this assumes you can get to the DL lounge, which is often impractical or impossible. (This would actually be easy at SFO for now, until the SkyClub move airside.)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Amex plat gets delta access plus centurion lounge and partial priority pass. Star gold via Aegean or similar (tk may status match) covers united.

This is my current lounge access strategy.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Amex plat will cover Delta and PP (free w/ Amex plat) will get you into additional lounges. Amex is building a new lounge in SFO which will cover UA (ETA late summer I guess). Depends where you are flying 'to' and whether PP will cover you there or not.
AA is out of Amex and PP so that won't be easy, but you can check PP lounge listings to see if there are 3rd party lounges at your airports.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this - so seems like Amex Platinum for Delta/UA and Citi Executive Card for American. The bonus miles would make this worthwhile for a year, and I'd probably drop one after that...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by sfaron
Thank you for this - so seems like Amex Platinum for Delta/UA and Citi Executive Card for American. The bonus miles would make this worthwhile for a year, and I'd probably drop one after that...
PP Select does not provide access to UA lounges. As someone also based at SFO, your choices really are UA or VX. UA has a bigger network and a real alliance; VX is better in all other ways. FWIW AA has the nicest lounge at SFO. Hope this helps.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:43 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Now that this discussion has had time in the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum, let us see if other FlyerTalk members have some answers and valuable input in the TravelBuzz forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Has anyone seen any recent deals for Priority Pass?

I can see that there's 15% saving by going through www.halfdiscount.co.uk but wondered if there were any refer a friend or other rebate offers that can better that...
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Because I fly on a number of different airlines, I used to rely on a US club membership which gave me UA club access as well. That ended, and I cancelled it, but got the AA club citi card (which gives me US and AA) (plus 100k miles bonus), and then I got the UA club card as well (another bonus). Between AA/US and UA I am covered in most airports. Amex Platinum would cover Delta, but I rarely fly them. (Also, as noted Priority Pass Select with Amex does not include UA, only regular PP.) TATL I am usually flying business so get to use the lounge of the airline I am taking. I will admit to checking out multiple lounges when passing through major airports. (I use the loungebudy app.)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
PP Select does not provide access to UA lounges. As someone also based at SFO, your choices really are UA or VX. UA has a bigger network and a real alliance; VX is better in all other ways. FWIW AA has the nicest lounge at SFO. Hope this helps.
In terms of UA, I think what was mentioned earlier and the OP was referring to is the new Centurion lounge coming to SFO which will be located near UA gates. You'd be lacking on AA lounge access, but if you are splitting time between carriers it might be best just to take that as a loss. You'd have something for UA/DL flights, is it really worth it to pay $450 to get AA lounge access for the remaining flights? You may even come out ahead buying day passes if you REALLY want lounge access, but I think spending $25-$30 at a restaurant would be a better use of your money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.