Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 18, 14, 4:28 pm   #1

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood & Hilton Gold
DL Amex Resevre - Adding Additional Cardholder bonus?

I'm looking to add my wife as an additional card holder on my reserve to ensure lounge access for us, and cancel her plat amex in the process. Has anyone ever asked for and/or received any sort of mileage bonus when adding a cardholder? I could potentially see the $175 meriting a small mileage bonus (5k), wanted to check in on others' experience.

Thanks
SBarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 4:59 pm   #2

Programs: DL PM, SC Lifetime, AA/US Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
I don't believe that will accomplish what you're trying to do.

The base card number (first 12 digits)is the same for all cards on the account and AMEX won't approve both for entry at the same time. You would need to get her her own DL Reserve account. I believe they would give you a 5K MQM bonus for the card upgrade from DL Plat to DL Reserve. Depending on your travel, it might be much cheaper to buy the $29 additional guest for her when she'd with you or a $50 day pass if she travels alone.

My wife, who is also a PM, has has own DL Reserve and a secondary on my regular AMEX Plat. I also have a DL Reserve and we each have a no fee secondary DL Plat on the others DL Reserve so that either of us can put charges on whichever account of the three we need to.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Apr 18, 14 at 5:05 pm.
SuperG1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 5:15 pm   #3

She is a FO no problem and I squeak by to a GM each year. We probably do 8 RTs up and down the east coast per year, maybe 1 or 2 cross country trips. Normal layovers in LGA or ATL, i'd say at least 10 SC visits a year as a couple, so I figure adding her on the Reserve will save money in the long run, plus will help me hit the spending thresholds.
Old Apr 18, 14, 6:21 pm   #4

If you add your wife as an additional reserve cardholder (with her own reserve card) by paying the $175 then she is supposed to have her own access to the sky club. That is the whole point of paying the $175.
If you add her as an additional cardholder and get her the free platinum card that comes with the reserve (don't pay any extra) then she does not have sky club access on her own.
SuperG have you had this experience before? Your report is contrary to my understanding but I haven't tried it.
I have not heard of any bonuses for adding a second cardholder to the delta reserve. Call AMEX and ask. If they say yes let us know... because I'll probably add my wife to mine!
stils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 6:53 pm   #5

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have a DL Amex Reserve card and my wife has a secondary AMEX card on my Reserve account. From what I understand only the person whose name is on the Reserve card has SC privileges, not the person who holds the secondary card.

Under the new rules where I will not be able to guest in my wife anymore, the only way she can join me in the club is either to pay $29.00 each time or for her to get her own Reserve card, for $450.00 a year.

Mr. Elliott
Mr. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 7:24 pm   #6

I'm almost certain that additional cardholders, assuming they pay the yearly fee, get access to the club as long as the card is in their name
Old Apr 18, 14, 7:31 pm   #7

Programs: SPG:Gold, Marriott: Gold, Hilton: Gold, DL:PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott View Post
I have a DL Amex Reserve card and my wife has a secondary AMEX card on my Reserve account. From what I understand only the person whose name is on the Reserve card has SC privileges, not the person who holds the secondary card.

Under the new rules where I will not be able to guest in my wife anymore, the only way she can join me in the club is either to pay $29.00 each time or for her to get her own Reserve card, for $450.00 a year.

Mr. Elliott
Not true based on my experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBarny View Post
I'm almost certain that additional cardholders, assuming they pay the yearly fee, get access to the club as long as the card is in their name
This

I issued a supplementary DL reserve card from my account to a friend of mine for the exact reason of lounge access. We since canceled it as he travels much less now, but when he had it most all of last year he routinely used it to access the lounges

Last edited by xolinlevh; Apr 18, 14 at 9:09 pm.
xolinlevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 14, 8:39 pm   #8

Quote:
2. The Delta Reserve Card Member must be traveling on a Delta-coded or Delta-operated flight. Name on ticket must match name on Delta Reserve Card. The Delta Reserve Card Member must be at least 21 years of age to enter Clubs with a self-service bar, unless they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Until April 30, 2014, the Delta Reserve Card Member, his/her spouse or domestic partner and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the Delta Sky Club at no charge. On or after May 1, 2014, the Delta Reserve Card Member will have complimentary access and be allowed up to two guests per visit at a discounted rate of $29 per guest and any additional guests at the standard rate, which is available at delta.com/skyclub. Benefit valid only at Delta Sky Clubs. Codeshare partner and other alliance partner lounges are not included. The Delta Reserve Card Member must present his or her valid Card and same-day, airline ticket to club agents. Note that amenities may vary among airport club locations. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a fee. All Delta Sky Club rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skyclub. Offer and rules subject to change. Additional restrictions may apply.
These are the AMEX T&C for the Reserve Card. AMEX explicitly states that the privilefge applies to the Delta Reserve Card Member. Based on discussions I'm had with a couple of usually knowledgable SC CSR's, after May 1 only the Card Member gets in for free.

We have less than 2 weeks before we find out. Someone who has the additional card will have to report back. I would definitely wait until the empirical data points are posted.

Additional Info: A few weeks ago I brought 2 guests in on my SC membership and she used her secondary AMEX Platinum to get in. That worked in MSY, ATL, MSP and SLC.
Old Apr 18, 14, 8:41 pm   #9

I'll be in 2 SC's on Tuesday and will have time to discuss it in detail with the CSR's.
Old Apr 18, 14, 11:35 pm   #10

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
My coworker has an additional card in her name under my account. She only had to pay the $175 to me and now she gets into sky clubs every week.

That is the point of the additional card. To gain sky club access for another person and to allow their spend to count towards your spending threshold.
adam1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 14, 4:59 am   #11

Programs: DL PM
My wife last year upgraded her secondary card on my account to a Reserve so she could get into SC when not traveling with me. There are no mileage benefits on the second card. We recently got her own Reserve so she could get the 30k MQM bump as is done on mine. We now each pay the full annual fare for each card.
Lrtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 14, 6:26 am   #12

Programs: DL PM
Quote:
She only had to pay the $175 to me and now she gets into sky clubs every week.

That is the point of the additional card. To gain sky club access for another person and to allow their spend to count towards your spending threshold.

Card Fees DO NOT count towards spend.

Beware! if you are getting towards the end of the year thinking that it does...
offdalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 14, 6:55 am   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1080 View Post
Absolutely. You also have the option of adding someone to your DL Reserve account for free by giving them a Delta branded Plat Amex instead of the Reserve card, with all spending still counting towards your Reserve account but without lounge access (I do this w/ a friend). The only point in paying the $175 is so that the additional person receives lounge access. Why would there be these two options otherwise?

If this is changing, I think it would have been explicitly communicated - AMEX is very good at such things. I certainly have received no such notice.

I think the misunderstanding of the earlier posted rules is that AMEX considers the additional user to be an actual "Card Member" with all benefits included with the card that bears their name.
HeadInTheClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 14, 6:59 am   #14
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBarny View Post
I'm looking to add my wife as an additional card holder on my reserve to ensure lounge access for us, and cancel her plat amex in the process. Has anyone ever asked for and/or received any sort of mileage bonus when adding a cardholder? I could potentially see the $175 meriting a small mileage bonus (5k), wanted to check in on others' experience.

Thanks
I'm confused. If wife has the regular AmEx Plat charge card, this gives her SC access when traveling DL, the same benefit before and after May 1 as one would get from a Reserve card. Why cancel this card when it has other good benefits?

Or do you mean that she currently has the DL Plat AmEx affiliated credit card? IMO the only benefit of that card is the 10,000 or 20,000 MQMs for meeting the $25,000 and $50,000 spend thresholds as well as the new MQD waiver. If you cancel this card, AFAIK she'll lose the possibility of getting the MQD waiver on her DL FF account.
Old Apr 19, 14, 8:08 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm confused. If wife has the regular AmEx Plat charge card, this gives her SC access when traveling DL, the same benefit before and after May 1 as one would get from a Reserve card. Why cancel this card when it has other good benefits?

Or do you mean that she currently has the DL Plat AmEx affiliated credit card? IMO the only benefit of that card is the 10,000 or 20,000 MQMs for meeting the $25,000 and $50,000 spend thresholds as well as the new MQD waiver. If you cancel this card, AFAIK she'll lose the possibility of getting the MQD waiver on her DL FF account.
Sorry for the confusion. She has the DL Plat Amex currently, which we would cancel and add her as an additional card holder on my DL Reserve Amex, thus getting her comped SC access, yet still have her spend count towards my Reserve spending