Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Reserve card and upgrade priority

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Amex Reserve card and upgrade priority

I have been a Delta Amex reserve cardholder for a year now and I have always been curious whether or not the claim that the card actually gives you priority in the upgrade line over non-cardholders (all other things being equal) is actually true as they claim. Now the primary reason I originally got the card was for the SkyClub membership and the upgrade priority enhancement just seemed like an added perk. But I really don't feel like it has made much difference. I am DM now and I still don't feel like it gives me much advantage; unless of course there a bunch of Reserver cardholders out there. Just wanted to get an opinion on whether that card benefit is real or not. I am DM now so paying the $450 annual fee for SkyClub membership doesn't really make sense anymore so I am just trying to decide if I should bag the card and just go down to a gold card.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
I've heard reports on here that it sometimes isn't considered in UG priority. But, one reason to consider keeping it is if you meet the $60k spend threshold, then you can get 10k more MQM and RDM bonus vs the DL platinum amex. I value RDM at about 1 cpm and MQM at 3 cpm, so for me, this extra bonus more than covers the difference between annual fees for reserve vs platinum.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was initially a published benefit, but I have not seen it listed in recent years. I suspect that benefit may be dead. It probably wasn't a tie-breaker in many situations, and I suspect it may have lead to a fair amount of confusion among holders thinking they might see more significant improvement in their upgrade rate.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Lloyd7703
I have been a Delta Amex reserve cardholder for a year now and I have always been curious whether or not the claim that the card actually gives you priority in the upgrade line over non-cardholders (all other things being equal) is actually true as they claim. Now the primary reason I originally got the card was for the SkyClub membership and the upgrade priority enhancement just seemed like an added perk. But I really don't feel like it has made much difference. I am DM now and I still don't feel like it gives me much advantage; unless of course there a bunch of Reserver cardholders out there. Just wanted to get an opinion on whether that card benefit is real or not. I am DM now so paying the $450 annual fee for SkyClub membership doesn't really make sense anymore so I am just trying to decide if I should bag the card and just go down to a gold card.
I often ask about this from other DMs and as just one example, there were 4 of us and the 3 who did have the Reserve card got the UG the one without did not. As it is a fare class tie-break and there can be SO many above and below you - to me it should not be the MAIN reason to hold the card. Just another small perk.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I hit the $30K threshold this year and the 15K MQM's was nice. Still not sure if it justifies the $450 annual when I get SkyClub now for free with my DM status.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
You said "I am DM now", which implies you just recently reached DM. If the 15K MQM bonus you received was instrumental in getting to DM, then what is your plan for maintaining DM in subsequent years?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:20 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

It was a lie. The only benefit of the reserve card is the spending and getting one person in the sky club....I am not sure it is the card for me anymore.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
It used to be true. I once bought 2 tickets for partner and I, both DM at the time, same fare, same time. I had the card and I did not. He got the upgrade at the window, I did not. The rest of the F seats then disappeared before the flight and I flew Y while he was in F.

But I did also noted today that it is not listed as a benefit anymore so I guess they did away with this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A few times I suspected that while it didn't help me to get the upgrade at my window, it did help me to get put into an aisle seat at that time. I suspect that DL goes down the upgrade list and places people into better FC seats according to upgrade priority.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyertall
You said "I am DM now", which implies you just recently reached DM. If the 15K MQM bonus you received was instrumental in getting to DM, then what is your plan for maintaining DM in subsequent years?
I reached DM without the 15K bonus about a month ago. I am already 20K above the DM required MQM's. So not concerned about achieving DM next year. Although I think it's pointless to try for DM again considering the fact that Delta is not depleting all F inventory for FCM. From my perspective (and I know everyone's is different) I don't see value in PM or DM without the upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vgb2001
It used to be true. I once bought 2 tickets for partner and I, both DM at the time, same fare, same time. I had the card and I did not. He got the upgrade at the window, I did not. The rest of the F seats then disappeared before the flight and I flew Y while he was in F.

But I did also noted today that it is not listed as a benefit anymore so I guess they did away with this.
It is still listed here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...dit-cards.html

David
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
That source doesn't even specify that the additional upgrade priority is for free elite upgrades only, not instrument supported upgrades, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere.

Why is it so hard to find a clear and precise statement of DL's rules?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That source doesn't even specify that the additional upgrade priority is for free elite upgrades only, not instrument supported upgrades, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere.

Why is it so hard to find a clear and precise statement of DL's rules?
DL wants the perception it is a benefit, without actually having to provide the benefit. It keeps a certain amount of people paying the annual fee for the card- mainly for this reason.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
It's VERY easy to find, but I guess it's easier to complain than to search. Just read the card's T&Cs.

"Upgrade Priority on Delta
Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Card Member and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program. Airport Paid Standby Program and Mileage Award Upgrades are not eligible."

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...4#cardbenefits
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:19 am
Formerly known as HuwRLewis

Programs: DL-DM (Charter); DL-MM; Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
DL wants the perception it is a benefit, without actually having to provide the benefit. It keeps a certain amount of people paying the annual fee for the card- mainly for this reason.
It would be nice if there were transparency. I think the lack of it causes suspicion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.