Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-departure music...what gives?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Pre-departure music...what gives?

Not sure when they instituted it, but is there a reason DL feels the need to blast sh*t music for the half hour leading up to take off?

The music choice is nauseating (personal/subjective, I know).

Taste aside, it's entirely too loud.

What I want in a business cabin: ambiance. DL's music kills that ambiance and gives me a migraine in the process.

I just find the whole thing reminiscent of a department store trying to get me in the mood to buy something (or make me want to leave).

Does anyone actually think the pre-departure music is a good thing?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Ipod with Noise cancelling headphones? You can go gate to gate now.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I find the volume varies flight to flight. sometimes it is pretty soft and I kind of like it as light background noise/music. Other times it is blaring and very annoying. Feel the same way about FA announcements, sometimes they are blaring so loud I have to plug my ears, other times I can not hear them.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So in general, both of you are fine with pre departure music? That's fine, personally just the whole thing is a little presumptuous.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles PM
We can all get behind (with pitchforks) Sweet Child o' Mine with the flute, right? 'Cause that's just wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Or you should just not board until the very end and then snag upgrades from the back of the UG list because "once you board you lose your spot!"
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
I seldom hear any music on my DL flights. As for music and babbling people on cell phones last minute.... Amen to Bose QC15 and QC20!!! So long to hearing people and music.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by pricesquire
So in general, both of you are fine with pre departure music? That's fine, personally just the whole thing is a little presumptuous.
I loathe it. My reactions range from mild irritation to homicidal rage based on the content and sound level, but outwardly I manage to smile and ask the FAs to turn down the volume, which they invariably will do.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by roknroll
I find the volume varies flight to flight. sometimes it is pretty soft and I kind of like it as light background noise/music. Other times it is blaring and very annoying. Feel the same way about FA announcements, sometimes they are blaring so loud I have to plug my ears, other times I can not hear them.
If you sit in row 1 of an MD you won't hear FA announcements no matter how loud they turn the speakers. Note, this only applies while airborne. As far as the music, I think it's a nice attempt but I'd rather not have it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The only boarding music I ever liked was on QF.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:42 am

Could the choice in music be part of Delta's branding efforts to be a hipper/edgier airlines than the competition?

they're steering clear of "todays top 40" as well as the "easy listening channel
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
The music helps drown out the DYKWIA'S on cell phones... I am all for that.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I could do without it on early morning flights, I really have no desire to hear jivy music while boarding a flight at 6:30am on a Monday morning.

I really could do without all of those #$!@$!@$ ads right after takeoff!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by injera
Could the choice in music be part of Delta's branding efforts to be a hipper/edgier airlines than the competition?
Delta? I thought that hip and edgy companies, at a minimum, have functional IT.

My online experiences with DL are often every bit as clunky and annoying as is shopping at Sears.com

All that cool Flash can't cover up Grandma's support stockings.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I could do without it on early morning flights, I really have no desire to hear jivy music while boarding a flight at 6:30am on a Monday morning.

I really could do without all of those #$!@$!@$ ads right after takeoff!
Amen.

That's the blessing of the new electronics policy. Blast that ipod from boarding to wheels down and miss all the blaring commercials and the blather from the FAs. I too would much rather silence at 06h30 but the ipod beats the DL-supplied noise pollution any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.