Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for surviving a 16 hour flight in coach?

Suggestions for surviving a 16 hour flight in coach?

Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Compression shorts would not be a good idea. Compression hose/socks are what's needed.

Compression shorts will act like a girdle and slow the blood return from the legs. Compression socks/hose help the feet and lower legs to keep the blood from pooling and help it move back up the legs.
Thank you for catching that.

I read the post and (idée fixe) read "socks" not "shorts."

Compression shorts are helpful, however, if you want to sing alto.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Thank you for catching that.

I read the post and (idée fixe) read "socks" not "shorts."

Compression shorts are helpful, however, if you want to sing alto.
thanks for clearing this up. ^ will take advantage of for my own 16 hour flight, mercifully on CX
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Frogbone
What sleeping aids can you guys recommend ?
Let me take a crack at that. There are two widely distributed over the counter sleep aids, diphenhydramine and doxalymine. They are very similar but not identical. Both kick in slower than the prescription stuff, and both leave you drowsier after waking up than the prescription stuff. Doxalymine is excreted more slowly, so it leaves you drowsier for longer.

When I fly, I take diphenhydramine because it also has an airsick suppression effect. In fact, dramamine was derived from diphenhydramine after people taking diphenhydramine for its antihistamine property noticed that they didn't get seasick. (If you're ever in need of dramamine and can't find any, buy some Benadryl. It'll do the trick. That happened to me at Las Vegas once.)

I take one just before boarding the plane. With the delayed effect, everyone is settled in and the plane is in the air before sleepytime hits. Also, the tiredness that lingers after waking up has a similar happytime effect as the Xanax.

For dosage, I find a diphenhydramine is about as effective as 1/2 of a doxalymine. I must not be the only one, because the doxalymine tablets are scored, to easily break in half with your fingers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So, some on here are giving drug advise on FT to take a 14 hour flt in Y. Get a good book or simply sleep. Some of the above advise is crazy. But since your not on UA for 14 hours on the "friendly skies" - I guess that is painful. Best move you made is booking DL. Free booze in Y. UA charges for ALL booze in Y. Have a great trip. ^
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Is there no inflight entertainment?
1) Get an aisle seat
2) Watch 4 movies. Choose some in the foreign section just to make it not so routine since you wont watch those movies at home on a bigger screen.
3) Play music.
4) read books
5) Nothing wrong with hanging at the rear of the plane near the FA's station and the restrooms. Gets you to stretch your legs. Listen to some offbeat conversations.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I've flown quite a few long hauls in Y and they were fine. I can't really sleep in Y; I can doze off for some 30-40 mins at a time but that's about it. To me the most important aspect is the mindset. I approach the flight positively: I think of it as a time that I have for myself to relax. I watch movies/shows, read a little, play games on my phone, close my eyes and listen to music. I try not to look at the time too often and I avoid thinking about how long I have left.

I do hydrate myself and always bring extra water, but don't avoid alcohol entirely. I have a couple of drinks and that helps me relax, usually red wine or scotch (never beer!) The eating well part is something that I'm actually against. I read somewhere that it's helpful for the body if you avoid big meals, fatty/heavy food. Eating as little as possible works for me.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by kettle1
So, some on here are giving drug advise on FT to take a 14 hour flt in Y. Get a good book or simply sleep. Some of the above advise is crazy. But since your not on UA for 14 hours on the "friendly skies" - I guess that is painful. Best move you made is booking DL. Free booze in Y. UA charges for ALL booze in Y. Have a great trip. ^
Lighten up pal. These are OTC suggestions, not "drug" advise as in prescriptions.

And then to turn around and recommend booze???
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Sounds to me like it's an anxiety problem so I would suggest.

Get up and walk around a lot.

Stand in the rear galley or by the rear exits and read a book there.

If it's people and not confined space, you can sit in the lav for a while.

Try and get an exit row.

Take Ambien or Halcion and knock yourself out for the flight.

UG to J.

If all else fails, you just have to gut it out.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by florin
I've flown quite a few long hauls in Y and they were fine. I can't really sleep in Y; I can doze off for some 30-40 mins at a time but that's about it. To me the most important aspect is the mindset. I approach the flight positively: I think of it as a time that I have for myself to relax. I watch movies/shows, read a little, play games on my phone, close my eyes and listen to music. I try not to look at the time too often and I avoid thinking about how long I have left.

I do hydrate myself and always bring extra water, but don't avoid alcohol entirely. I have a couple of drinks and that helps me relax, usually red wine or scotch (never beer!) The eating well part is something that I'm actually against. I read somewhere that it's helpful for the body if you avoid big meals, fatty/heavy food. Eating as little as possible works for me.
I've flown transatlantic, mostly ATL-AMS in coach several times in the last few months., and I'm 6'4" and a slightly overweight 250 lbs. so it's not much fun.

Granted 10ish hours (max) is not 16, but florin's advice is exactly what mine would be except food. I'm in the habit of just not passing up food on long flights. I'm paranoid though, I've passed up a meal before, then something bad happened, and I didn't eat for 10 hours after.

I agree the most important thing is the mindset. This is why I never work seriously on a long haul flight. My boss asked me about that once. He's the sort that gets the laptop out on ATL-MDW. I told him if he wanted me to get work done, work should have sprung for J.

Delta's IFE on the 777s (and updated A330s and 767s) is really quite good.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Load your own movies/TV series on your mobile device and/or laptop.

I do this so I'm never at the mercy of A) DL's IFE having something I want to watch and B) DL's IFE functioning.

In addition, purchase a battery pack to charge your tablet/phone in the event the charger in your seat isn't functional. It's cheap insurance at around $40.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0WP0BT5730
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
I've actually lost count but I've done ATL-JNB R/T more than 20 times (I think 25 - but who's counting). Mostly DL 200/201 but the old Dakar stop route as well as various connections in Europe. Plenty of other long hauls too.

Fortunately I managed to claw my way into J most of the time, but I'd guess 15 or segments in back - half of those in EC the rest in hardcore coach.

Here's my ritual, YMMV, which I actually follow regardless of class:

First, recognize its mostly a mental challenge, not a physical one. You just have to find your zone.

I am obsessive about cleanliness. I shower as close to boarding as possible - in the lounge if possible, put on the cleanest, lightest cloths I have. Brush teeth on board - multiple times. (Not sure why this obsession is so important, but it is for me.)

Go for too cool rather than too warm. It may seem more likely you'd drift off if you're warm - and that may be true - but you risk a lethargy/funk that's hard to shake plus dehydration, etc. Keep the air flowing. Dress in layers - lighter is better.

Move. Change position often; stretch/flex your legs as much as possible. A good metric: your seatmates think there's something wrong with you. Get up and walk around, stretch.

Eat less than you normally would. I also (surprisingly) have found one drink or no alcohol at all works best. Lots of water.

Don't try to over manage your sleep - don't set parameters of how long you'll stay awake or when you'll fall asleep. Just sleep when your brain/body feels the urge.

Sensory deprivation when you are trying to sleep. Noise cancelling headphones (I prefer in-ear for comfort) and eye mask.

Finally, I do retain a medicinal option; employed on some occasions - like three day turn arounds. Nothing serious but, alas, flying would be an 'off-label' use and I am neither a doctor nor pharmacist so I will refrain from naming the substance in question; just something I have found that works for me.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Ambien is your friend!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sriegert
StayingHomeIsBetter does wearing compression shorts help prevent this?
As noted, compression socks. Yes, helps me generally feel better on a long trip.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM
This certainly isn't medical advice - I am by no means a doctor, but I think Ambien is a modern miracle. DO NOT TAKE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AN AIRPLANE....some people have strange reactions when on the med.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I have a habit of getting little or no sleep the night before a long flight. This leaves me tired enough to sleep a fair amount on the flight and also enables me to switch easily to a new time zone at the destination. This pre-flight sleep deprivation system is best with a morning or early afternoon departure. This has worked really well for me for MSP-SEA-NRT-SIN and MSP-NRT-SIN even with the 1am arrival in SIN.

No drugs, no alcohol except maybe a little Bailey's after dinner. Lots of books on my Kindle plus a movie or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.