Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Red-Eye Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver
Domestic Red-Eye Service

Hey all. Doesn't seem this issue has seen a lot of attention, but I wanted to get everyone else's insight.

I flew PHX-DTW last week on the redeye on the new 737-900ER, and I was really annoyed with the onboard service. Nothing was wrong with the crew - they were friendly and happy to serve - but rather I thought that the service was not very courteous to the fact that it was a redeye.

The flight was only 3 hours long, so I was looking to just sit down and get as much sleep as possible. However, numerous announcements were being made throughout the flight, the cabin lights were turned on and off as F/As came through offering drinks, and the IFE played two ads shortly after takeoff even though I had turned the screen off! Whenever I did manage to doze off, one of those things woke me back up.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or have insight into Delta's redeye practices/policies? I'm flying the redeye from SFO-DTW in a few weeks, and if I should expect the same thing again, I might just have my friend punch me until I'm unconscious so I can actually get some sleep.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've had to remind flight attendants to shut the cabin lights off. Not sure how in the world they forget to do that since every flight they makes the "we will be dimming the cabin lights" speech.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Usually, on red eyes they crank the heat up so everyone falls to sleep. Perhaps this crew had to much Starbucks and wanted the flt to turn into a big party plane. How much sleep do you get on a 3 hour flt?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by DTWFlyer1990
I might just have my friend punch me until I'm unconscious so I can actually get some sleep.
A couple of Percocets washed down with Woodford should achieve the same effect with less pain ...

But seriously, I agree a redeye should be about getting some sleep, on the assumption that most people have to be at work that morning. At least in F, service on domestic redeyes ought to be limited to a simple snack for those who want it after takeoff, and coffee (plus maybe danish/croissants) before landing, and PA announcements ought to be limited to "the captain has requested everyone to be sure their seatbelts are fastened".
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Well I will be taking this same flight this thursday so I hope there is less announcements too. In the past when ever I have taken this flight it was not that bad except for the screens going on with ads in the beginning of the flight.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've generally had decent experience with redeyes... although I agree the commercials are incredibly annoying. By the time you get up to cruising altitude you may have been on the plane for nearly an hour, so it can really jolt you out of a decent sleep. Most flight crews keep announcements to a minimum, and only do drink service for passengers who they can see are clearly awake.

Last red-eye I took, a passenger's cell phone alarm kept going off mid-flight. This was on a 763 with the flat bed seats... he didn't hear it. The flight attendants were walking around trying to figure out where it was coming from, but it would only go for a minute or so and then snooze. About the third or fourth time it happened, some guy came from like 4 rows back and found the owner, and was nearly ready to fight the guy, but the FAs arrived at the same moment.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I agree. I think they are required to play the adds, but I've been on flight where the FA was nice enough to turn the sound off or down very very low. I have also had them specifically say that they are going to keep announcements to a minimum and even seen then do drink service in the dark.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
How much sleep do you get on a 3 hour flt?
Many people (especially chronically irregularly sleep-deprived people, especially physicians, soldiers and travelers) learn to fall asleep instantly when given the opportunity. And every hour counts.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kettle1
Usually How much sleep do you get on a 3 hour flt?
Three and a half. I stay on east coast time. I fight to stay awake to get on the plane.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:30 am

I too recently flew PDX - MSP on a 3 hour DL redeye. Captain made a point to make most of the announcements he'd make in the air before take-off. Beverage service was conducted in dimmed cabin and cabin crew talked in hushed tones.

Biggest disappointment on the MD88 was the guy three rows up who insisted on watching a movie on his laptop. Flashing light from the screen bounced off ceiling and illuminated ten rows fore and aft.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by drumbum
I too recently flew PDX - MSP on a 3 hour DL redeye. Captain made a point to make most of the announcements he'd make in the air before take-off. Beverage service was conducted in dimmed cabin and cabin crew talked in hushed tones.

Biggest disappointment on the MD88 was the guy three rows up who insisted on watching a movie on his laptop. Flashing light from the screen bounced off ceiling and illuminated ten rows fore and aft.
I always travel with an eye mask and ear plugs.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
bringing noise canceling headphones would probably help with the announcements and the ads on the in flight monitor I usually do that and it helps some what.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by drumbum

PDX-MSP is such a horrible red-eye. Sometimes it's only about 2:40. Waaay too short to get anything resembling a proper rest.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by koreanair720
PDX-MSP is such a horrible red-eye. Sometimes it's only about 2:40. Waaay too short to get anything resembling a proper rest.
Maybe they should rehire the pilots who flew past MSP to perform that flight. They can market it as the "Extended Redeye Service".
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:01 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I always travel with an eye mask and ear plugs.
These, as well as a neck pillow. It's worth carrying on even if I only use it once on a 3 hour flight. I still wouldn't call the sleep 'good', but these all help a lot.

Originally Posted by koreanair720
SEA-MSP and SLC-ATL as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.