Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This seems to be targeted at QR, EY or TK to start service to DOH, AUH or IST. It would be cool to see DL take advantage of this incentive and start/restart something like NBO, CPT, TLV, GVA, IST, FOR, MAO or GYE.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I expect to Emirates serve ATL in the not so distant future. With hundreds of widebody aircraft on order they've got to send them somewhere.
Curious what markets out of ATL could enhance their existing U.S. capacity that aren't already served? (subject of this thread being new int'l routes from ATL) When I first talked to someone from Emirates about their U.S. presence I thought IAH was random, oh wait, oil! Can ATL feed their markets without an alliance partner, as noted:

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why would any non ST airline fly international long haul into ATL? Pax will connect how?
SAV-based Gulfstream seems to have a good presence of workers in/travel to DXB (and elsewhere in Middle East?) but that's a market already served by DL. Would their presence in the region be enough to warrant commercial service from ATL by a new airline? Just trying to come up w a customer base out of ATL for Emirates' destinations not already served from other markets. (Granted I don't know all their markets, the Emirates guy I talked to about all this was based in Australia. )

Many airports offer incentives, curious to see how ATL benefits if/when they launch this effort.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Curious what markets out of ATL could enhance their existing U.S. capacity that aren't already served? (subject of this thread being new int'l routes from ATL) When I first talked to someone from Emirates about their U.S. presence I thought IAH was random, oh wait, oil! Can ATL feed their markets without an alliance partner, as noted:
Well, I wasn't thinking Emirates would try and get any of the incentive funds/benefits. But I do firmly believe that one day they will link ATL to their massive DXB hub. Emirates offers crazy cheap connecting fares and it's surprising how far people are willing to backtrack to save some $$$.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Well, I wasn't thinking Emirates would try and get any of the incentive funds/benefits. But I do firmly believe that one day they will link ATL to their massive DXB hub. Emirates offers crazy cheap connecting fares and it's surprising how far people are willing to backtrack to save some $$$.
Interesting. The discussion I had w the Emirates guy was about their A380 first class suites (and who pays for them), not crazy cheap fares. Curious to see how it plays out.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Mar 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Personally, I think it would be neat to see more African destinations out of ATL. I think currently, it's just Lagos and Johannesburg, at least on DL. I know there are droves of West Africans that live in/around Atlanta, and DL 472 (used to be DL 26) is a direct flight from ATL to ACC, with a change of plane in JFK from an MD-88 to a 763. I've been on those flights many times, and see lots of the same faces in JFK get on the flight to ATL. It would also be neat to have a flight to Cape Town, and options to get to Eastern Africa aside from using KLM (i.e. the headache of hoping to get full milage credit, MQD, EC seats, etc). Wishful thinking, I know. But just my thoughts.
Agree. We used to serve Dakar, Abuja, Accra, Cape Town, and I think Monrovia from ATL. Some obviously were moved to JFK, and others simply cut. Personally, I'd like to see ACC return and I'd love to get ABV back, but I've been told it's considered too much of a security hazard. Sigh, I'll have to take Arik still. Regarding NBO, I believe it was the State Dept. that said no can do on that. I've heard that DL would happily jump at the opportunity the second State decided the airport's security standards were okay for nonstop flights to the US.

Anyone remember the short-lived KWI nonstop from ATL as well? Heard loads on that was awful, but never flew on it myself. Still would be cool. In a perfect world, I'd like to see ICN and HND (LOLZ) as well on DL metal from ATL.

Last edited by sky303; Mar 26, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Nada!
I have flown through DXB once before to connect to India and am doing it again next week to connect to India. There are flights to Mumbai and Delphi but Emirates has great connections to Kochi, Hyderabad and other cities in India. And DL's flight to Dubai is always full. My flight back in 2 weeks from DXB only has about 5 seats left.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sky303
Anyone remember the short-lived KWI and AMM nonstops from ATL as well?
Yes, DL did flown ATL-KWI before, but not AMM. They never serve ATL-AMM. Only JFK-AMM, but they tried it.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, DL did flown ATL-KWI before, but not AMM. They never serve ATL-AMM. Only JFK-AMM, but they tried it.
You're right, I forgot it was JFK-AMM. Thanks Scotty.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:41 pm

Just dreaming but would love to see, AUH/DEL/BOM/BKK/KUL/HKG/PEK/CPT/NBO/WAW/TXL/BUD.

I have no clue what kind of loads/cargo/government regulations/planes would be necessary to make any of these happen, but any would be cool
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by sky303
Agree. We used to serve Dakar, Abuja, Accra, Cape Town, and I think Monrovia from ATL. Some obviously were moved to JFK, and others simply cut. Personally, I'd like to see ACC return and I'd love to get ABV back, but I've been told it's considered too much of a security hazard. Sigh, I'll have to take Arik still. Regarding NBO, I believe it was the State Dept. that said no can do on that. I've heard that DL would happily jump at the opportunity the second State decided the airport's security standards were okay for nonstop flights to the US.

Anyone remember the short-lived KWI nonstop from ATL as well? Heard loads on those were awful, but never flew on either myself. Still would be cool. In a perfect world, I'd like to see ICN and HND (LOLZ) as well on DL metal from ATL.
Ah, I didn't know about the State Department's restrictions on travel to those destinations. I'm not so upset about only having JFK as the jumping point to ACC since they built T4 (i.e. no more T3). But being based at SLC, I have plenty of nonstop options to JFK and ATL, and wouldn't mind flying out of either to Western Africa. Especially since it would give me more options to visit any hypothetical African destinations. But I'm sure DL enjoys JFK being their gateway for Dakar and Accra, and pretty much having a monopoly on those routes. And I've never been on Arik. Or to Nigeria. And I have no plans to go in the forseeable future. It's too bad Kenya Airways doesn't fly to ACC, as a possible route to Nairobi. Actually, it's a shame Air France doesn't fly into ACC anymore. I'd gladly splurge on Premium Economy instead of DL economy. I priced out an itinerary to ACC for a trip in May on Kayak. DL was quoting economy fares around $1700, and premium economy on AA/BA (well, Y on the AA and Premium Y on the two BA segments) for a little over $2000.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm holding out for ATL-NUE -- it would make my life simpler
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: dl platinum
I'd like to see TLV come back
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Plat MM, Marriott Plat, UA PE
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
This seems to be targeted at QR, EY or TK to start service to DOH, AUH or IST. It would be cool to see DL take advantage of this incentive and start/restart something like NBO, CPT, TLV, GVA, IST, FOR, MAO or GYE.
If this has any impact, I would expect more Latin American (or South of the US) routes. Adding already tried and scuttled European or UHL flights seems more of a gamble than a small landing fee concession would cover. I would personally love NBO however, even if it involved a stop-over along the way, like the JNB flight once ran...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:06 am

FWIW, here is a news article that talks about why DL's planned route to NBO was blocked (apparently by the TSA, not State as I had said earlier). This also discusses the blockage of ROB, which is now served via ACC, which presumably (since all ROB passengers must deplane in ACC), brought the security standards up to the level TSA wanted. http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...locked-by-TSA/
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
And I've never been on Arik. Or to Nigeria. And I have no plans to go in the forseeable future.
Good.

Better.

Best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.