Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL to offer incentives for new int'l routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Take away DL and ST partners and u've got what? Tampa, maybe? I'm sure there's awareness about that at city hall and some frustration that all the tourism promotion isn't getting more non-ST airlines to add ATL as a spoke, but they'd still rather deal with DL than become another Cincinnati.

Maybe if WN got more serious about lower fares and added more flights you could argue that ATL also is a budget hub for onward flights, but for now most of the game depends on the hub effect, i.e. people from all over the country coming in on DL and flying out on some ST airline, probably DL. Maybe the ST partners could do better in terms of adding flights to ATL, but with DL's changes to the FF program the partner tickets don't earn MQDs, and under the new regime it'll be even worse. Having the #3 alliance also doesn't help with things like this...DL has lot of its own service to Europe but is either weak or hardly present at all in other parts of the world, and airlines that could fill that in are either ornery partners (like KE), regional players (Kenyan) or already part of other alliances.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'd like to see CPT.

Ultralonghaul routes aren't economically viable now, so we won't see PVG, HKG, BKK, SIN, etc. even if DL had enough aircraft with those ranges.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I'm not entirely sure that DL might not pick up one/resume an ultralonghaul route from ATL to Asia, despite what some of you have said. They are are very valid points, such as current economic viability and previous attempts. There's also a lot to be said about O/D feeds, and I will agree that ATL does not quite have that O/D feed for international Asian traffic, although I'm not a demographics expert. All very good points.

However, I think DL might try ONE of those routes, and I keep coming back to China, especially PVG. DL operated ATL-PVG for a few years prior to the Northwest merger and made it work fine because they didn't quite have the routes, but once the merger was complete they couldn't sustain it. Granted, I talked to three individuals who flew that route bi-weekly, up to it's final flight in 2009, and said it was completely full each time.

DL would NOT have any trouble FILLING ATL-PVG, but making it profitable is another story. With these incentives, that might just make the flight profitable. Yes, the incentives are not permanent, but then again they might change the dynamics of traffic flow enough to solidify the route and keep it profitable. Now, it could mean that shift in traffic might kill DTW-PVG, but again it's just a prediction.

One thing I can almost say for certain: DL will add at least one new international route, even if it's not an Asian or African destination.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:18 am
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

What would be real interesting is if DL decided to really give the finger to KE and fly ATL-ICN.

Metro ATL has one of the largest Korean populations in the U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreato...nta.2C_Georgia), and with KIA, Doosan, and Hyundai all within a short drive of Hartsfield, that would be an interesting option for DL.

While I never have been to Korea or see the need to go there, the loss of ATL's only A380 service on KE would be sad (if KE pulled out).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RustyC
Take away DL and ST partners and u've got what? Tampa, maybe? I'm sure there's awareness about that at city hall and some frustration that all the tourism promotion isn't getting more non-ST airlines to add ATL as a spoke, but they'd still rather deal with DL than become another Cincinnati.

Maybe if WN got more serious about lower fares and added more flights you could argue that ATL also is a budget hub for onward flights, but for now most of the game depends on the hub effect, i.e. people from all over the country coming in on DL and flying out on some ST airline, probably DL. Maybe the ST partners could do better in terms of adding flights to ATL, but with DL's changes to the FF program the partner tickets don't earn MQDs, and under the new regime it'll be even worse. Having the #3 alliance also doesn't help with things like this...DL has lot of its own service to Europe but is either weak or hardly present at all in other parts of the world, and airlines that could fill that in are either ornery partners (like KE), regional players (Kenyan) or already part of other alliances.
To give credit to DL I will say that they have more service to Africa than AA (without transiting in Europe.)
Asia is also better served by DL than AA (though with JL if you can get a codeshare and a fare basis that allows interline/codeshares AA is very powerful in Asia.)
Most of my flying to East/SE Asia is on CX anyhow...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
To give credit to DL I will say that they have more service to Africa than AA (without transiting in Europe.)
Asia is also better served by DL than AA (though with JL if you can get a codeshare and a fare basis that allows interline/codeshares AA is very powerful in Asia.)
Most of my flying to East/SE Asia is on CX anyhow...
True, but direct routes to African destinations are few, even though DL may have the most. JNB and LOS out of ATL, and ACC (with a continuation to ROB) and DKR out of JFK.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by evanr81
I'd like to see TLV come back
I agree. You won't see it. That's for sure. Nobody will ever tell you. ATL-TLV is out of questions. Because they tried, but DL had decide to discontinue all flight ATL-TLV. Due to routes change.

Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Would this give DL reason to add a flight(s) to LIS/OPO now, to compete with US/AA's full-time flight from PHL and new summer seasonal from CLT?

Or to resume/start flights from ATL to the middle east, including IST, TLV, AUH?
No, they won't be back. They tried, but they pull out of ATL-TLV completely.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
LX couldn't make BSL-NYC work a few years ago and with pharma not doing so well these days I doubt there is any chance to see TATL flights in BSL any time soon.
I didn't realize know that. When it did happen? Did they tried? I tried to fly nonstop from ATL-BSL or JFK-BSL. I had go through CDG or AMS.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
I didn't realize know that. When it did happen? Did they tried? I tried to fly nonstop from ATL-BSL or JFK-BSL. I had go through CDG or AMS.
I thought you went via LHR?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH

I thought you went via LHR?
No, actually, I had go through CDG and on the way back home. I had go through AMS from BSL. LHR is a slots restrictions. I don't want go through LHR.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if ATL city council approved this to move forward?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if ATL city council approved this to move forward?
Here is the resolution: http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/201...ed/14R3388.pdf

During yesterday's investor webcast, DL management confirmed they would definitely be applying to take advantage of this incentive program - so looks like we'll very likely see one or more new ATL international routes from DL.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Any guesses as to the choice...

Shanghai? would require 777, so maybe not until new widebodies arrive
Tel Aviv ?
Moscow?
a new Brazilian city or additional frequencies to existing?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
ATL-BOM is the most likely choice, and if DL were to apply, that is the route I'd put money on. Though I could also see a case for ATL-DEL, just not as strong.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 am
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMoose
ATL-BOM is the most likely choice, and if DL were to apply, that is the route I'd put money on. Though I could also see a case for ATL-DEL, just not as strong.
How many Euro-based pax are they aggregating in AMS for the AMS-BOM route? Seems like if they are trying to get North Americans to BOM, the most logical place to do that is in ATL. However, they'd need something bigger than the 767 they have on the AMS-BOM route to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.