Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold
We're flying Condor nonstop from MSP to FRA this summer instead of Delta, saving $700 per ticket for a family of four. The ticket, like Delta's E fare doesn't let you select a seat but unlike the E fare, it's changeable. Advance seat assignments on Condor were $79 per ticket, and we're taking the risk of not making them. If I recall correctly there's a $48 fee to change a flight or the name on the ticket.

With the recent Delta SkyMiles changes I've become exceedingly price sensitive and much less likely to be loyal to Delta.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by daregale
We're flying Condor nonstop from MSP to FRA this summer instead of Delta, saving $700 per ticket for a family of four. The ticket, like Delta's E fare doesn't let you select a seat but unlike the E fare, it's changeable. Advance seat assignments on Condor were $79 per ticket, and we're taking the risk of not making them. If I recall correctly there's a $48 fee to change a flight or the name on the ticket.

With the recent Delta SkyMiles changes I've become exceedingly price sensitive and much less likely to be loyal to Delta.
Being scattered in 4 middle seats would be a bit extreme for my tastes.

On a random search I did see a $500 saving on average (which certainly is good). Did you include the flex fare fee of $160 in your calcs?

I would rather have spent the extra $160 per on getting 4 good seats than on insurance against changing the flight (unless you know for some reason a change is very likely). That would still come in under DL by a good bit.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
We didn't do the flex fare. The change fees were reasonable enough on the base fares ($79 per person per flight) that the flex fare fee didn't seem necessary. My girl's outbound ticket might need to change, but it's unlikely the others will. Additionally, Condor offers a substantial discount (~25%) for children under 12, unlike most carriers.

ETA: I mixed up the add-ons in my earlier post. I should have said $79 per flight for change fees, and $39 for the seat reservation.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Again, if you don't like E fares, pay for V... or YBM... or J... or F... you get what you pay for...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
Again, if you don't like E fares, pay for V... or YBM... or J... or F... you get what you pay for...
+1 - This is the bottom line. I can see a legitimate complaint if DL offered an E-only service in which no seat assignments are possible, no changes can be be made and cancellations return $0 in credit. But DL doesn't do that.

Yet people kvetch that a service for which there is a clear-cut market -- people buy it after all -- is somehow a bad thing.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - This is the bottom line. I can see a legitimate complaint if DL offered an E-only service in which no seat assignments are possible, no changes can be be made and cancellations return $0 in credit. But DL doesn't do that.

Yet people kvetch that a service for which there is a clear-cut market -- people buy it after all -- is somehow a bad thing.
Do you think prostitution and hard-core drugs like meth should be legal? Just wondering.

Nice use of Yiddish BTW.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:53 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Do you think prostitution and hard-core drugs like meth should be legal? Just wondering.

Nice use of Yiddish BTW.
I'm not so thrilled about prostitution, since I'm convinced a lot of the sex workers are "persuaded" to enter the industry. But, I live with it.

I personally, have few issues with the legalization and control of hard drugs.

BTW, my Yiddish is pretty decent.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ATL787

E Fares, however, are huge bleep'n joke. I mean, come on, DL, you slip in a new fare with a no seat assignments rule that applies to Elites, as well? And then you try to sell me on it?
I disagree. I think E-fares are a really good deal for some people who are really budget bound. If they can save $72 they don't care where they sit. $72 what some folks make in an entire work-day.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:48 am
Suspended

Nice use of Yiddish BTW.
Entertaining, but not relevant to this thread. Nobody suggests that e-fares are illegal. The debate is about whether they are a "joke". They aren't. Apparently the market is expanding as DL, a highly profitable carrier, is expanding their use.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
My opinion is:
1. E-fares are a really good deal for some people who are usually paying out of their own pockets.
2. If an E-Fare is $100 a.i one way and the lowest coach fare is $120 ai one way ... many folks will pay $120.
3. However if an E-Fare is $100 ai one way and the next lowest coach fare is > $200 ai one way, many will consider buying the E-fare.
4. It also depends upon the sectors and the number of pax in one reservation.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors

Nice use of Yiddish BTW.
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I'm not so thrilled about prostitution, since I'm convinced a lot of the sex workers are "persuaded" to enter the industry. But, I live with it.

I personally, have few issues with the legalization and control of hard drugs.

BTW, my Yiddish is pretty decent.
I think E fares are a far cry from the negative effects of drugs or prostitution... we're talking about not letting someone choose their seat in return for a cheaper fare, not getting addicted to drugs or, shall we say, shtupping for gelt
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe something like PeopleExpress in the early 80s? They charged a $2 for a snack pak.
PE was a child of de-regulation. Flying on it was a bracing experience for those of us accustomed to the old regulated service.

Bare-bones waiting rooms, 29" seat pitch, and a schedule that became rather just a series of suggestions as the day wore on.

But the fares were astoundingly cheap and, as it turned out, even too cheap for them to survive.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by monitor
PE was a child of de-regulation. Flying on it was a bracing experience for those of us accustomed to the old regulated service.

Bare-bones waiting rooms, 29" seat pitch, and a schedule that became rather just a series of suggestions as the day wore on.

But the fares were astoundingly cheap and, as it turned out, even too cheap for them to survive.
Though what really killed them was allowing reservations for free, pay when (if) you showed up. That meant lots of no-shows, and lost business from people who wanted to definitely fly.

There were cases like a college student who made reservations to fly home every weekend for a year; he actually flew twice, but didn't know when he would choose to, and reservations were free. So there were times I would have flown them but couldn't get a reservation.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Though what really killed them was allowing reservations for free, pay when (if) you showed up. That meant lots of no-shows, and lost business from people who wanted to definitely fly.

There were cases like a college student who made reservations to fly home every weekend for a year; he actually flew twice, but didn't know when he would choose to, and reservations were free. So there were times I would have flown them but couldn't get a reservation.
It was a business model which would have worked at a time when aircraft were relatively cheap, gates were available and airspace was not congested.

The old DL Shuttle (and Eastern before it), guaranteed space without a reservation. As people showed up, they rolled out aircraft and flew multiple sections of the busy shuttles.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
...The old DL Shuttle (and Eastern before it), guaranteed space without a reservation. As people showed up, they rolled out aircraft and flew multiple sections of the busy shuttles.
All you did was show up and get on the airplane. During the flight, the FAs would roll out a cart with tickets and you would pay on the spot.

I flew it regularly and the extra sections would be opened but, especially in the morning, would fill up as latecomers and early arrivals for the next flight were accommodated.

I am not sure when the practice was discontinued but I think that it was stopped even before EA collapsed and the Shuttles were run by PA and something called Trump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.