Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATL787
Another predictable response, even though it came from the Benton Co. area.
You predicted that you would receive a response like mine, yet it bothered you enough that you Googled which county my home airport is in? You have issues deeper than your reading comprehension.

IBTL
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
OP needs to look up the definition for "joke"... and then stop using it repeatedly out of context. It's really not humorous or entertaining at all.

You get what you pay for. If you don't like it, purchase an alternate fare or fly another airline.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've come to the conclusion the OP is just trolling for responses. Not worth trying to respond further IMO.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Apologies to the last 3 posters, but seeing as there's been no lock initiated by a moderator on this thread, perhaps my joke gripe has a bit of validity.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Do E Fares earn MQM's and RDM's?

Have been offered E Fares for sectors like MSP-LAS but price difference between E and the next fare level was only $20 each way, so booked the next level fare.

3/19/2014 10.23pm CST
Edited to add: Yes, E-Fares do earn MQMs and RDMs similar to one's status this year till Dec 31, 2014.

As we know, from Jan 1, 2015 ... RDMs are going to be earned per the new multiple rules of USD$ spend.

Last edited by dd1612; Mar 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by bubbashow
So...you bought a fare with clear restrictions, didn't want those restrictions, were offered the chance to re-fare with NO penalty, but that isn't good enough? I really fail to see the problem.
OMG... I... agree with Bubba
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by dd1612
Do E Fares earn MQM's and RDM's?

Have been offered E Fares for sectors like MSP-LAS but price difference between E and the next fare level was only $20 each way, so booked the next level fare.
According to dl.dumb, and the booking pages when logged in with all 4 levels of status, yes, E fares do earn RDMs and MQMs. (Stated from experience)

According to dl.dumbphoneapp, you can choose to pay for a preferred/EC seat after booking, but then get an error message after clicking through to "buy" a preferred or EC seat. Very classy.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Ah, yet another reader reading this as a "problem" complaint. Clearly, I expressed my feeling that it is a joke, and no where did I call this a problem.
Apparently it wasn't very clear as most posters are seeing your post as a problem. Just because you choose to use the word "joke", your post is outlining what you see as a problem with the E fares.

Now that I've gained the experience of an E fare, I see them as a joke. I admitted my laziness in not noticing the "cleary" stated rule when booking. I stupidly assumed, after the fact, that I might be able to call and get a seat assignment, and was treated like a turd, as usual these days. I stupidly posted a thread about it on FT, thinking I might hear from others about their experiences booking an E fare (whether intentionally or accidentally), and yet again get treated like a turd (as do most every other OP on this forum these days).

As a professional courtesy, I have grown to expect it from DL, and as a common courtesy, I am coming to expect it from DL FTers, as well.
I politely asked you why you thought the E fare is a joke so I could better understand your concerns but you chose not to answer that and instead complain further about the fare and how you feel you were treated. I still don't understand why you feel the fare is a joke.

If the E fare doesn't work for you, don't buy it. It seems as simple as that but again, I made an effort to understand your position but apparently you don't want to explain it.

I could say that F fares are a joke because they are so expensive but that doesn't make any sense either. For some, the fare provides exactly what they are looking for even if I wouldn't buy them.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Love this thread. I think I'll use it to demonstrate formal logic flaws
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:42 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Apologies to the last 3 posters, but seeing as there's been no lock initiated by a moderator on this thread, perhaps my joke gripe has a bit of validity.
Why should this discussion be locked?

You are entitled to express yourself — but then, so are other FlyerTalk members.

In fact, I will post a comment in your favor...
Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus
Try looking for a one-way ticket from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Atlanta on May 30th.
I remember when that route was as low as $49.00 each way during a sale — at that time, exclusive of taxes and fees; but including an advanced seat assignment and the ability for changes to the ticket after paying a fee.

The lowest E fare I can find on this route today is $89.00 each way, inclusive of taxes and fees; but with no way to secure an advance seat assignment and no changes allowed at all — not even for a fee.

Of course, one can say that $49.00 one-way is not sustainable for an airline to stay in business on that route — but I do not have all of the costs and figures to verify that...

...or one can say that it is a devaluation where an E fare is a way to increase airfares and still offer a low airfare but with greater restrictions — but I have no way to prove that either.

The reality is that we can only decide on what is available to us. In my opinion, if I know I must travel on a flight and would rather save a significant amount of money than have an assigned seat, I will most likely choose an E fare and take my chances on the restrictions; whereas if the flight is several hours in duration and I am uncertain as to whether or not I may need to be more flexible, I might consider paying for a higher airfare or using my SkyMiles...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer one more question. Federal law requires that all carriers permit cancellation (or a hold) within 24 hours of booking through the carrier. That applies to all tickets. DL's policy simply implements the law (and a bit more).

If one mistakenly books an E fare, as it appears OP did, and then realizes that one cannot reserve a seat, one can simply cancel and book a new ticket at any other fare bucket and make the reservation seat. That is likely why when he called DL, they were at least willing to consider offering him a fee-free change for the simple upfare.

While I do not fly from E fares and hope that I will never have to, I am glad that they exist for those who cannot otherwise afford to fly. While it is easy to be dismissive of these fares as a "joke", to some people this is the difference between seeing relatives, taking your kids on a trip or doing something important in your life or not.

Fares such as this have existed in Europe for decades and travelers manage just fine. They can do just fine with them here too.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Often1
To answer one more question. Federal law requires that all carriers permit cancellation (or a hold) within 24 hours of booking through the carrier. That applies to all tickets. DL's policy simply implements the law (and a bit more).

If one mistakenly books an E fare, as it appears OP did, and then realizes that one cannot reserve a seat, one can simply cancel and book a new ticket at any other fare bucket and make the reservation seat. That is likely why when he called DL, they were at least willing to consider offering him a fee-free change for the simple upfare.

While I do not fly from E fares and hope that I will never have to, I am glad that they exist for those who cannot otherwise afford to fly. While it is easy to be dismissive of these fares as a "joke", to some people this is the difference between seeing relatives, taking your kids on a trip or doing something important in your life or not.

Fares such as this have existed in Europe for decades and travelers manage just fine. They can do just fine with them here too.
Did something like these exist during the regulation days (or just after)? I thought I recalled reading about US majors offering fares that didn't include meals (the norm at the time), etc.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Glad to hear that at least a couple of people understand my post and why these pooper fares are a joke.

I am usually a stickler for the rules, and this is one instance where I completely missed a fact that I frankly would have thought "that's got to only apply to kettles" if I had noticed the stipulation when I was in the process of booking the ticket.

To me, the experience of an E fare it is a f ing joke. The possibility that the airline would even offer a "no seat assignment before check-in" fare where Medallions who are eligible for free upgrades and free preferred seats and free/discounted Economy "comfort" seats on a normal basis are relegated to the kettle boat where no seat can be assigned (even through the normal loop holes)..... That is a joke. May as well go to the WN way of thinking and not assign anyone a seat. Last I looked, WN looks like a legacy carrier, too....aside from the no F and no assigned seats (and no change fees or bag fees). And no, I will never fly WN simply because they do not allow seat assignments.

To add to the joke, the fare rules apparently didn't even allow the medallion agents to bend the rules, so they are relegated to the uncomfortable position of trying to sell the extraordinary value that is gained by paying up from an E fare to the vastly superior sLUT etc fares that do allow seat assignments. I'm sorry, am I so stupid as to misunderstand the value proposition that is presented by a $198 non-changeable, non-refundable E fare vs. a non-refundable sLUT fare that is changeable with a $200 change fee? What a f ing joke.
Okay, so my point still stands and I ask again:
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
But not enough of a joke to the point where you were willing to pay the upfare to a ticket that wasn't "a joke" when given a very generous offer by DL that was beyond the fare rules of the ticket you bought.

So again - how is this a "joke"? You kept the original choice when given the option to change by determining the "not joke" fare wasn't worth the additional $72.
Seems to me that after you called and were offered the chance to upfare to a non-joke fare, you determined that a seat assignment and the ability to at least receive a partial refund or make changes (after penalty) weren't worth the additional $72. I'm still failing to see why you view these fares as a joke yet you accepted the joke fare AFTER DL ALLOWED YOU TO GET OUT OF IT. You've yet to explain where the joke is because you had clear options: 1) Upfare or 2) Accept the E-fare restrictions while saving $72 on the ticket. You chose option 2, ie, you stuck with the joke after given the chance to back-out. Seems to me if there is any joke, well, the joke's on you.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Did something like these exist during the regulation days (or just after)? I thought I recalled reading about US majors offering fares that didn't include meals (the norm at the time), etc.
Maybe something like PeopleExpress in the early 80s? They charged a $2 for a snack pak.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
would a kettle on an E fare be allowed to purchase EC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.