Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Innovation Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I don't think Delta really knows their "high and mighty" clientele all that well. In my experience they are among the least willing to engage in conversation. They might find some nice retires to participate. In my experience senior citizens and retirees are among the nicest to sit and talk with during a flight. I did get sit next to one of the coaches from the Atlanta Braves on a JFK-ATL flight and he was a great guy to talk to.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Free Agent
What a clever idea- our sons' have made some invaluable career connections during flights. This just formalizes it a bit.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I don't wan't to talk - a flight is a place where I can be left alone without being asked a hundred questions a day. When my DW and I fly we take aisle seats and each keep to ourselves for most of the flight.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:14 pm

My understanding is that the communities of people that this program is designed to target thrive on making connections. It's the type of people use their time to go to conferences like TED (where the first flight will be going to according to their website). These people care more about interesting meetings than they do about award seat availability in FC.

So hold your guns, no one will force you to talk to anyone. Also, it currently seems like they only have two flights scheduled so it'll hardly be something that happens on every single DL flight, so don't worry, you'll most likely still get your upgrade.

Even if the idea doesn't directly benefit or even apply to me, I still like it. Well done Delta.

Now, let's all watch the FT trolls go out of their way to poke holes in this.

Last edited by Long leg; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
"Held in New York City, The James Beard Foundation Awards recognizes those in the United States who transform food into something closer to art. It’s a celebration that honors the finest chefs, the finest restaurants, and the finest thinkers in food.

Traveling to this year’s awards will be chef Sean Brock. On his Delta Innovation Class flight from Charleston there will be an empty seat beside him. This is your chance to learn what makes one of the most progressive thinkers in food so special. Apply today, and that seat could be yours."

So, if I don't live in Charleston, I have to get there for the origination, and get home from NYC. For, perhaps, 3 hours of effective conversation time. Less than that if they put us in the direct CRJ flight.

And, if the flight from CHS is late and we miss our connection in ATL, they do what? Roust someone out of their FC seat so we can still sit together?

I would prefer that they put their energies instead into solving some of the problems documented here on FT. I wonder if any of the innovation mentors will be IT gurus?

Of course, there is the prestige that would come from being able to say that I set next to a world famous chef as we partook of what was offered in the FC snack basket. I could even "buy" him a Miller-Lite or a Scoresby in the Sky Club. As we talk about transforming food into art.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Based on this, it appears someone at Delta thinks being/ having a mentor involves just one meeting ----

I'm beginning to think that person (or group of people) badly needs a mentor !

Bob H
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
So, if I don't live in Charleston, I have to get there for the origination, and get home from NYC. For, perhaps, 3 hours of effective conversation time. Less than that if they put us in the direct CRJ flight.

And, if the flight from CHS is late and we miss our connection in ATL, they do what? Roust someone out of their FC seat so we can still sit together?

I would prefer that they put their energies instead into solving some of the problems documented here on FT. I wonder if any of the innovation mentors will be IT gurus?

Of course, there is the prestige that would come from being able to say that I set next to a world famous chef as we partook of what was offered in the FC snack basket. I could even "buy" him a Miller-Lite or a Scoresby in the Sky Club. As we talk about transforming food into art.
Then again, if you were a shrimp salesman in Charleston and want this guy to become your customer ... many would kill for three hours of uninterrupted conversation with such a prospect.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I wonder if any of the innovation mentors will be IT gurus?
Delta doesn't have any flights long enough for that to be of any use.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Which Delta aircraft have those coach seats? They look far better than any coach seats I've ever seen.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Sabai
Delta doesn't have any flights long enough for that to be of any use.
ROFL... narrowly avoided a spit-take.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'll take the 5 grand for being on the flight... $5k for having to ask someone questions? Why not?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Long leg
My understanding is that the communities of people that this program is designed to target thrive on making connections. It's the type of people use their time to go to conferences like TED (where the first flight will be going to according to their website). These people care more about interesting meetings than they do about award seat availability in FC.
[/B]
^^

Although this is mostly a PR stunt, I applaud them for doing something to promote intellectual and professional growth among their customers.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
But what does the mentor get out of this program? My father goes to sleep as soon as the plane reaches an altitude of 10k feet, so I doubt he'd be suited for this.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
^^

Although this is mostly a PR stunt, I applaud them for doing something to promote intellectual and professional growth among their customers.
Agreed, I can't people are bashing an idea that is based on sharing knowledge. I personally think this is a great idea. If it is not appealing to you, pass. Doesn't mean you need to publicly bash it just because it doesn't fit your needs.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by milehound
But what does the mentor get out of this program? My father goes to sleep as soon as the plane reaches an altitude of 10k feet, so I doubt he'd be suited for this.
And you are completely right, this isn't for him.

Not at you milehound but to people in general: Just because you don't get it. Don't hate on it.

This might be a forum that focuses a lot on optimizing your own (and sometimes) your family's situation when flying. Racking up points, getting upgrades, lounge access, rewards etc.

But I must say, it'm surprised how blatantly selfish some of the comments on here are. Jesus christ, just because something doesn't directly benefit you, do you have to go out of your way to try and shoot it down?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.