Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by colerc
Yes. Note that you will have to use 4 RUCs to get an upgrade for both of you roundtrip, not 2 (one per passenger each way). The RUCs do not guarantee you will get upgraded but it will give you a chance of getting upgraded in advance of the flight, and if you don't, you'll be on the top of the upgrade list at the gate. (If you don't show up at the top of the upgrade list on the day of departure, call Delta a few hours before the flight to make sure your upgrades were coded correctly.)
Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by budblab
First time using RUC's. Called plat line, agent waitlisted 4 upgrades.
Online account shows original seat assignment with "medallion upgrade requested", and also a stand-by reservation for first (RP) with a notation "assign at gate".
Is that correct? Or should she have removed the medallion upgrade request? Flight is a week from now.
Check out the GUC thread, lots of great info there on how DL is listing RUC/GUC's and if they are coded properly.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta PM
New PM, called in yesterday and asked if I could apply RUC to PWM-ATL-MBJ for wife & I should I select them as my Choice Benefits. They confirmed yes and that inventory was already available on one leg (MBJ-ATL on way home). I selected CB's yesterday, got the email this morning, called back and had them apply it.

We did instantly clear into one leg and have been wait listed for the rest. Because we did clear on one return leg it is my understanding I'm going to have 2 RUC's pulled even if we don't clear on the other leg. I am ok with that and based on this thread I'll make sure I call in at T-5 or so if nothing else has cleared and we aren't at the top of the upgrade list.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
New PM, called in yesterday and asked if I could apply RUC to PWM-ATL-MBJ for wife & I should I select them as my Choice Benefits. They confirmed yes and that inventory was already available on one leg (MBJ-ATL on way home). I selected CB's yesterday, got the email this morning, called back and had them apply it.

We did instantly clear into one leg and have been wait listed for the rest. Because we did clear on one return leg it is my understanding I'm going to have 2 RUC's pulled even if we don't clear on the other leg. I am ok with that and based on this thread I'll make sure I call in at T-5 or so if nothing else has cleared and we aren't at the top of the upgrade list.
PM already? Congrats!

Weren't you just figuring out how to make it to FO a couple months ago?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)

Congrats on your PM...

Maybe this is what you meant but I got a little confused reading, so here you go....

[edited] If at least one leg clears in each direction, this will cost you 4 RUCS, one each, each way.

You will use a RUC if either of the two legs clears (I might be using that word differently than you did, to me you have two two-leg trips each). If you don't think it is worth a RUC if only the first leg (PWM-ATL) clears, you have to request waitlist ONLY on the second leg (ATL-MBJ). But then you don't get the upgrade on the first leg. This matters to me on, say, RIC-ATL, then ATL-LAX.

But given the geography, I doubt you care.

If you travel out on a RUC (one or both legs), but don't get it at all on the return, you save that RUC. However, these often show up incorrectly in your wallet as "closed" so write them down somewhere.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by gooselee
PM already? Congrats!

Weren't you just figuring out how to make it to FO a couple months ago?
Sure was! It's been a fun ride so far... they even let me sit up front sometimes now

Originally Posted by orca15
Congrats on your PM...

Maybe this is what you meant but I got a little confused reading, so here you go.....
Yes, we're saying the same thing. Or at least that's what I was trying to say so I do understand it.

Originally Posted by orca15
But given the geography, I doubt you care.
Correct! Also thanks for the tip on writing them down somewhere.

EDIT: Just noticed 2 of my 4 RUC are closed now, obviously because one segment on the return trip instantly cleared. Now I'll just hope the other segments clear. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by JayTeaBee; Dec 1, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (GM)
As we get to the end of the year, any impressions on batting average for the RUCs? I usually fly out of DTW.

I will hit PM later this month and am wondering if I should choose the RUCs.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by SMWinnie
As we get to the end of the year, any impressions on batting average for the RUCs? I usually fly out of DTW.

I will hit PM later this month and am wondering if I should choose the RUCs.
You have until the last day of your status validity to select your choice benefits -- so for status earned this year, you have until Jan 31, 2016 to make your selection, and if you choose RUCs they are then valid for 12 months from when you choose. So, no urgent pressure to select them right away unless you have a use for them in mind.

RUCs are generally going to clear, at the gate if not before, unless you're flying on a route that is 100% sold out with paid passengers up front, since you're a higher priority than complimentary upgrades. Only question is then whether you typically fly routes where your complimentary upgrades wouldn't be enough, and/or whether you might have a trip coming up where having the higher priority is extra-valuable (like a flight to Hawaii or similar) -- particularly if you would be traveling with a non-status companion, where the RUCs can give you a big boost in priority.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (GM)
Originally Posted by colerc
You have until the last day of your status validity to select your choice benefits -- so for status earned this year, you have until Jan 31, 2016 to make your selection, and if you choose RUCs they are then valid for 12 months from when you choose. So, no urgent pressure to select them right away unless you have a use for them in mind.

RUCs are generally going to clear, at the gate if not before, unless you're flying on a route that is 100% sold out with paid passengers up front, since you're a higher priority than complimentary upgrades. Only question is then whether you typically fly routes where your complimentary upgrades wouldn't be enough, and/or whether you might have a trip coming up where having the higher priority is extra-valuable (like a flight to Hawaii or similar) -- particularly if you would be traveling with a non-status companion, where the RUCs can give you a big boost in priority.
That is extremely useful; thank you!

I'm very likely going to drop from PM to FO for 2016, so having a few silver bullets for the LAX-DTW redeye will be a lifesaver.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
EDIT: Just noticed 2 of my 4 RUC are closed now, obviously because one segment on the return trip instantly cleared. Now I'll just hope the other segments clear. Fingers crossed!
Congrats also! I just wanted to point out that you can have a CSR apply a RUC to just one segment outbound or inbound. I did this on a LAX-ATL-SRQ and waitlisted the LAX-ATL for the RUC, but kept the ATL-SRQ waitlisted for Medallion Upgrade. I don't care about the 2nd leg as it's a short ride and didn't want to lose the RUC if that cleared but LAX-ATL did not....

My trip shows SWU Requested on 1st leg, and Medallion UG requested on 2nd leg, as well as my return trip next week.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
I was on the DM line today asking about potentially using a RUC for an upcoming trip. My outbound is CLT - SLC - HNL, and my return is HNL - KOA - LAX - ATL - CLT (HNL - KOA is on Hawaiian Airlines codeshare with Delta). The rep said I would need to use 3 certs if I was to upgrade all of the legs. I thought that only one cert was required per direction. Her breakdown of the certs required looked like this:

1) CLT - SLC - HNL
2) KOA - LAX
3) LAX - ATL - CLT

The only flight that had availability was CLT - SLC, so I just said I would try again later. I'll probably just wait until T-24 to see which legs cleared at the medallion window, and which ones might clear at the gate. Anyone else have trouble using just one certificate when you have an itinerary with multiple connections?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:58 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Help me understand as I have never used RUC benefits before:

If I call to have the RUC applied and I do not get UG, is that RUC dead or can it be used again?

I believe the answer is that they burn only if UG clears per original thread post but knowing DL anything can change without notice.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski

If I call to have the RUC applied and I do not get UG, is that RUC dead or can it be used again?

I believe the answer is that they burn only if UG clears per original thread post but knowing DL anything can change without notice.
If you don't get the upgrade then the RUC won't be used and you can apply it to another flight. As previously suggested, print/write down the RUC details beforehand, however, because these are often incorrectly marked as used if applied but not used.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski

If nothing clears, then it isn't used. However, if you apply it to a multi-segment flight and any segment clears, it's used. That's why the advice is to apply it only to the long segment; if that clears, it can then (still) be applied to the other segment(s).
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Used my first RUCs for my wife and I a couple weeks ago on a ATL-SEA-YVR-SEA-ATL trip. Thanks for the tips in this thread.

Outbound ATL-SEA cleared when I made the call, so I kept the SEA-YVR on the RUC waitlist, which cleared (via a phone call from an agent) a day before our trip.

Inbound, I applied the RUC only to SEA-ATL. For anyone flying YVR (Vancouver) to SEA.. that is an easy Medallion Upgrade. There were 3 FC seats empty on a Tuesday morn on a CRJ-7 and my wife (FO) and I (PM) cleared at the gate for FC. SEA-ATL was another monster... I called or tweeted nearly daily about RUC availability on DL 282. Upgrades came down to the gate. 3 FC seats open and my wife and I were #2 and #3 on a list of 40+ (guessing a DM using a RUC was ahead of us). I asked the Gate Agent how things were looking and she told me NOT to board before our upgrades cleared or we would lose them. Ugh, hate boarding late. With 5 mins to board, we were called up by the gate agents and breathed a sigh of relief while she handed us new boarding passes. Some kind gentleman swapped seats with my wife and all was gravy. Little hectic, but everything paid off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.