Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ends Food Vouchers for VDB passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ends Food Vouchers for VDB passengers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:32 pm

First, unless they mentioned this as part of the VDB package, i'm not sure one should expect it, regardless of what has been done in the past. It is becoming very clear the airlines are trimming the fat and passengers are on the loosing side of this.

Generally, people have a price. $400 VDB for an overnight, I can pay for my own meals. But if Delta is out to stiff us with a $150 voucher and no food for an overnight, I hope it goes IDB, forces DL to pay more and gets reported to the feds.

Remember, once we bow down to DL on this change (assuming it is a changed policy... not sure if that's been verified yet), what's next? Provide your own transport to the hotel? Provide your own hotel but the airline might offer "distressed traveler" discounts?

Sinking ship. It's not just DL

Oh yes, consolidation of airlines? Just lovely
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by LBJ
Perhaps should merge with existing thread?? --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oing-away.html
Yes, especially since they spell IROPS correctly in that thread
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
A couple of weeks ago flying ATL - LAS it was overbooked and they were offering $400 to take flight about 4 hours later. I had been upgraded to First and requested to be booked into First on the new flight and was told, no, so then I requested a meal vouchers since I was losing the meal I was going to be served in First. However, they said no more food vouchers even for VDB, with no First seat and no meal voucher it wasn't worth $400 for a 4 hour + delay when I had already be delayed earlier in the day. VDB is helping Delta, food vouchers should be in mix.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayRich
A couple of weeks ago flying ATL - LAS it was overbooked and they were offering $400 to take flight about 4 hours later. I had been upgraded to First and requested to be booked into First on the new flight and was told, no, so then I requested a meal vouchers since I was losing the meal I was going to be served in First. However, they said no more food vouchers even for VDB, with no First seat and no meal voucher it wasn't worth $400 for a 4 hour + delay when I had already be delayed earlier in the day. VDB is helping Delta, food vouchers should be in mix.
Really? The bump would have been worth $410 or $420, but not $400? That is surprising.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:49 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't find food vouchers very valuable as I'd rather have the choice of whether to eat in the airport, in the hotel, elsewhere, or just grab some snacks such as in the lounge. With airlines not providing much food on board, generally people should have planned to purchase food anyway if they didn't bring something.
You do realize that food vouchers during IRROPS or bumps can be used at any food vendor inside the airport, and in big airports like ATL i'm sure you'd find something to eat that you'd like
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:50 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Perhaps should merge with existing thread?? --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oing-away.html
this thread is about VDB not IRROPS

Last edited by DoubleWidesFly; Mar 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
IRROPS VS VDB i think are very different. IRROPS is because of weather or crew time out, etc etc, where as VDB one is giving up their seat to help the airline out.
You had me until here. Someone who VDB's is not doing it out of the kindness of their heart to help the airline. They do it because they want a voucher. A big voucher. And an UG to F is they can pull that off, too.

If you really want to help the airline, refuse to take the voucher. Now that would be kindness and loyalty.

Besides, the vouchers are small. Last time I got one was $7. Yes, helpful but not much of a meal. IMO, much too small an amount to worry about whether or not to take a bump.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
You had me until here. Someone who VDB's is not doing it out of the kindness of their heart to help the airline. They do it because they want a voucher. A big voucher. And an UG to F is they can pull that off, too.

If you really want to help the airline, refuse to take the voucher. Now that would be kindness and loyalty.

Besides, the vouchers are small. Last time I got one was $7. Yes, helpful but not much of a meal. IMO, much too small an amount to worry about whether or not to take a bump.
The fact of the matter is that, generally in the US, a passenger doing VDB for a voucher is giving up their seat to help out the airline. VDB saves the airline money when IDB is the alternative. That there is a bit of a quid pro quo involved, the airline still is better off with VDBing rather than IDBing.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:44 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Really $7 - last summer delta gave me $20 in MSP
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Delta is a cheap airline now. They have little competition anymore. After their own merger and other mergers Delta has limited competition. consumers have little choice. Delta has little incentive to provide good service anymore as they can make money even if the service is awful as it is now.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
Just last week I flew SJU-ATL-SAN. in ATL i took a VDB and received overnight accommodations plus a $400 VDB. When I inquired about the food voucher for dinner/breakfast I was told that DL did away w/ food vouchers for all passengers, even those who bumped on 1/7/14. I couldn't believe the red coat working the flight so I checked with 3 other red coats + 2 customer service desks (terminal T and A) and I was told the same thing!

I wrote up my entire encounter here as I was shocked by this policy change. Has anyone else came across this or is this just ATL that has ended the meal vouchers for displaced passengers who are doing the airline a favor?

Got a small voucher for a VDB last Friday
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott, National, Avis
In late January my flight from MCO to SLC had a 3+ hour MX delay, causing me to miss my connection, with no alternatives until the next day. Delta paid for my hotel, but provided no meal vouchers. It was the first time I've ever had any significant delay without a meal voucher (in recent years it was a temporary credit card number with a pre-set spend amount).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
Still more evidence of what happens when you have three airlines rather than 5 or 6.
Oh, please. There are lots of examples of how there is less competitive force in the industry, but this isn't one of them. No one books air travel on the basis of an airline's past generosity in cases if VDB. It's "V" for a reason -- if you don't like the deal on the table, don't volunteer to take it. As long as someone is willing to take it, it's generous enough.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I took a VDB at ELP this morning. I didn't negotiate for a meal voucher because I had already eaten breakfast and was rebooked onto a lunch flight. After handing me the VDB paperwork and new BPs, the agent tried to print a meal voucher. She wasn't able to print it but told me to wait for the red coat who would be able to print one. All passengers who took the bump (at least 4) received $10 meal vouchers.

I see there is no airport listed on the voucher, and it expires tomorrow night. Does that mean I can use it for dinner at ATL or even at my destination tonight?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:06 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
In the past i have used VDB meal vouchers at my destination too. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.