Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Difficult to get upgraded on JFK-SEA on Saturday morning?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
standard answer: "it depends"

principal factors include:
(1) which morning flight you're taking ... I'd guess the 7am is lighter than the 930am
(2) type of aircraft (chances on a 26F 757 >> 20F 739 >> 16F 738 > 16J 757)
(3) holiday weekend
(4) previous day IROPS recovery
(5) other random stuff
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

on a 16J 757

Originally Posted by jrl767
standard answer: "it depends"

principal factors include:
(1) which morning flight you're taking ... I'd guess the 7am is lighter than the 930am
(2) type of aircraft (chances on a 26F 757 >> 20F 739 >> 16F 738 > 16J 757)
(3) holiday weekend
(4) previous day IROPS recovery
(5) other random stuff
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Currently on board DL 1908 (i.e. 6:40 am from LAX to JFK) in seat 36C which is a great seat with tons of leg room.

When I went to sleep last night there were 3 J seats available and no upgrade list yet visible. At 3 am when I awoke I was 1 out of 5 for 1 seat. So either last minute sales or SDC reduced available seats to 1. When I left for LAX at 4:15 am I was still 1 out of 5.
By 5:15 when I arrived at LAX I was now 2 out of 5. Most likely someone used a GUC to jump ahead of me as I don't think there is another way. It is also possible someone cancelled or removed themselves from the upgrade list and a new person with higher priority checked in keeping the total at 5. I did not track the initials of those behind me at 3 am so I don't know for sure but I am guessing it was a GUC. I haven't yet selected 2015 choice benefits and did not want to do so to get a GUC to burn to likely put me back at 1 and in seat 1D instead of 36C; I am actually going to take 8 RUCs when my existing 2015 Platinum RUCs expire or are closed as all my work travel is domestic.

The real reason for this post is to provide a data point for how I got to 1: I am on a broken fare with X from LAX to JFK and B from JFK to BOS. So I was a bit surprised to be 1 with the X from LAX to JFK. With four other diamonds on the flight and DL selling only H this week I never expected to be 1. I had hoped to be in the top 3 and still get upgraded if there was availability. Congrats to the person in 1D if you read flyertalk.

So did the broken fare with a "B" leg actually move me up to 1 jumping ahead of others with higher than X on the LAX to JFK segment? I know no one really knows how this works but I thought I would post these facts.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Currently on board DL 1908 (i.e. 6:40 am from LAX to JFK) in seat 36C which is a great seat with tons of leg room.

When I went to sleep last night there were 3 J seats available and no upgrade list yet visible. At 3 am when I awoke I was 1 out of 5 for 1 seat. So either last minute sales or SDC reduced available seats to 1. When I left for LAX at 4:15 am I was still 1 out of 5.
By 5:15 when I arrived at LAX I was now 2 out of 5. Most likely someone used a GUC to jump ahead of me as I don't think there is another way. It is also possible someone cancelled or removed themselves from the upgrade list and a new person with higher priority checked in keeping the total at 5. I did not track the initials of those behind me at 3 am so I don't know for sure but I am guessing it was a GUC. I haven't yet selected 2015 choice benefits and did not want to do so to get a GUC to burn to likely put me back at 1 and in seat 1D instead of 36C; I am actually going to take 8 RUCs when my existing 2015 Platinum RUCs expire or are closed as all my work travel is domestic.

The real reason for this post is to provide a data point for how I got to 1: I am on a broken fare with X from LAX to JFK and B from JFK to BOS. So I was a bit surprised to be 1 with the X from LAX to JFK. With four other diamonds on the flight and DL selling only H this week I never expected to be 1. I had hoped to be in the top 3 and still get upgraded if there was availability. Congrats to the person in 1D if you read flyertalk.

So did the broken fare with a "B" leg actually move me up to 1 jumping ahead of others with higher than X on the LAX to JFK segment? I know no one really knows how this works but I thought I would post these facts.
Unless the person applied a GUC at the last moment, they would've been behind you the whole time. I actually pulled this once... I was #4 for 2 seats with 3 hours to go. I had a single GUC just waiting to be used. I had a bad hangover and didnt want to deal with coach, I wanted to 'lie-flat' and sleep. I called DL, applied the GUC. On the way to the AP, about 2 1/2 hours before the flight, I rechecked the upgrade list and I was now #1.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Unless the person applied a GUC at the last moment, they would've been behind you the whole time. I actually pulled this once... I was #4 for 2 seats with 3 hours to go. I had a single GUC just waiting to be used. I had a bad hangover and didnt want to deal with coach, I wanted to 'lie-flat' and sleep. I called DL, applied the GUC. On the way to the AP, about 2 1/2 hours before the flight, I rechecked the upgrade list and I was now #1.
Not Transcon but similar thinking. Was #7 for 7 seats ~4 hours before ATL/SAN. Thought it would be risky because of FCM, that I might just end behind the bar. So I called and applied a RUC. Jumped #1. 30 min later, there were now 10 seats available So I called again, took the RUC off, which required un-checking me and re-checking. Went back to #7, for 10 seats. Then, still a good 3 hr before departure, all 10 upgrades cleared! That was a big surprise! ^
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by dabu
Difficult to get upgraded on JFK-SEA on Saturday morning?
If you are travelling tomorrow (April 25th), the first morning flight, DL486, is being operated by N711ZX, the last non-modded 75E flying, and the second flight is being operated by N717TW, a 75S. So sleeper seats on the first one, flat-beds on the second one!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
mileage UGs from K+ fares

Lowly PM here. How are folks making out with 12.5K/one-way mileage UGs clearing on LAX-JFK-LAX lately? I know I'd probably not clear until I'm on the ASL (if at all), but I was thinking of buying K+ and going for it, since the buy up was small.

Are the uncleared requests still going to ASL if not cleared by check-in?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by trek87
Lowly PM here. How are folks making out with 12.5K/one-way mileage UGs clearing on LAX-JFK-LAX lately? I know I'd probably not clear until I'm on the ASL (if at all), but I was thinking of buying K+ and going for it, since the buy up was small.

Are the uncleared requests still going to ASL if not cleared by check-in?
Basically, if I can't get it at booking, I don't expect it. My waitlists haven't cleared. But on the 767s, there is often space at booking (if done enough in advance).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I had a rare onboard upgrade JFK-LAX on Monday.

I was flying from FRA and when we landed I couldn't see the upgrade list on the app. When I got to the gate, still not there so I went to the desk. There was another guy being a DYKWIA about not being on the list, really upset with the agent (as if she personally removed him). Being much calmer I said I too should be on the list. The DYKWIA got upgraded and I was #1 of 1 for 0 but three seats "unclaimed" (i.e. not checked in). I asked the agent about it and she said it was strange as they where not checked in but the all had luggage on the PNR. Eventually two people tried to board and the passes didn't scan -- 2 of 3 "not checked in."

I then asked if I should wait or would she come and get me if the last person didn't show. She said technically you loose your spot on the list when you board. I said "Yes, but some stations will come at fetch you." After about 5 minutes she said "go ahead a board, so you don't lose overhead space." This was just before Zone 1 was called.

About 10 minutes later a passenger said "are you Mr Brewer" and said I'd been upgraded and gave me a new boarding pass with 3B. She promptly took my seat.

First time on the 757 lie flats. I'm not sure how I feel about them compared to 767 -- need a few more data points I'm 6' 2" (almost ) and they felt shorter than 767 and there wasn't a lot of foot space. But better than my coach seat so I'm not complaining.

Looks like the had some sort of IT glitch with people not checked in but their bags were and DM not being on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
About 10 minutes later a passenger said "are you Mr Brewer" and said I'd been upgraded and gave me a new boarding pass with 3B. She promptly took my seat.
Odd to have a passenger pass along your new ticket. Wonder if it was a non rev they cleared into your old seat?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta PM
Have any Diamonds had upgrade success on JFK-SFO lately? Last post here was from April 2015.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:50 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by southpaw1227
Have any Diamonds had upgrade success on JFK-SFO lately? Last post here was from April 2015.
The old "secret" free upgrades program on that route ended around that time. Now you either need to use RUCs/GUCs, or in rare cases you may get lucky if economy is oversold while seats are available up front (just like on international flights).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the benefit is gone i believe. no more free upgrades on this route, only instrument supported upgrades or potentially the ever-rare op-up.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Sure, using a RUC. Those mostly cleared well in advance, unlike JFK-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.