Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by KeepClimbingDick
Why do you like AA better?
Because they take care of me like DL and NW used to... UGs, SWUs that actually work, plus if I drive an extra 30 minutes to MIA I have access to a lot of direct flights as opposed to going through ATL every week. And before anyone starts in with the "DL is glad to see you go" stuff, I am one of the people that the new "enhanced" SM program would have worked out pretty well for ($52.3k in 2013, $50.8k in 2012, etc... I have kept track since 1998) but miles are not my major concern anyways.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by injera
Sunday 3/2 - 6:45am SFO->JFK.

While boarding at T-30, FA told me to go ahead and put my bags up in the first (was in the bulkhead right after first) since only 6 seats were booked there would be plenty of space.

Somewhere over Utah i went up front to get my laptop. Sure enough, all but one of the seats were full. No mention of upgrades available when I was boarding (though only got to gate at T-35) Did Delta sell 17 last minute tickets?
Not sure why you mentioned selling 17 last minute seats... the J cabin on the 752 for the SFO-JFK has 16 seats.

Even so, that leaves 10 open and it is most likely that non-revs got the available seats as HongKonger said.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HongKonger
No it was full of non-revs
I'm all for Delta selling seats in First/BE. However what are the business issues that would lead to a solution of putting non-revs in the premium cabin vs the most valuable customers?

Do you see the kitchen staff eating in the dining room of a restaurant while on break?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
I'm all for Delta selling seats in First/BE. However what are the business issues that would lead to a solution of putting non-revs in the premium cabin vs the most valuable customers?

Do you see the kitchen staff eating in the dining room of a restaurant while on break?
DL is "protecting the integrity of the product"... yet at the same time allowing the 'staff' to have the fillet and lobster.

Makes me laugh when a few people post how not allowing upgrades is going to create a more 'exclusive' and 'elite' experience up front. All it did is replace medallion upgrades with op-ups and nonrevs.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by rylan
DL is "protecting the integrity of the product"... yet at the same time allowing the 'staff' to have the fillet and lobster.

Makes me laugh when a few people post how not allowing upgrades is going to create a more 'exclusive' and 'elite' experience up front. All it did is replace medallion upgrades with op-ups and nonrevs.
Been making that point ever since the end of UGs was announced. It's so obvious yet those who are hoping for a sparsely populated private jet atmosphere up front have themselves convinced it will be otherwise. I have no skin in this game as I never take those flights, but the silver lining in everyone else's disappointment will be when the smug holier than thou elitists find it's not going to be quite what they expected. (Nor will the SCs.)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Is this a joke? You really paid an extra $2,700 +/- to fly in BusinessElite on a domestic flight? Really? Wow.
As I was scrunched into an EC seat with yet another passenger next to me who kept invading my (lateral) space, I considered how much cheaper it would be to just buy the seat next to me than to buy J on these routes. Even buying a whole row for cheap lie flat is less than half the price.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Been making that point ever since the end of UGs was announced. It's so obvious yet those who are hoping for a sparsely populated private jet atmosphere up front have themselves convinced it will be otherwise. I have no skin in this game as I never take those flights, but the silver lining in everyone else's disappointment will be when the smug holier than thou elitists find it's not going to be quite what they expected. (Nor will the SCs.)
Exactly... if they want a true exclusive experience with a sparsely populated private jet then they should join the Delta Private Jets program.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta

Clearly the logical thing would be to move the paying customers to the front and put non-revs in their coach seats, instead of putting the non-revs in the front.

Delta is making a bet that the coach customers who want to sit in first are more likely to pay up (at 5x-10x the price) rather than sit in the back, and if not they can sell the upgrades at the gate (although the updated website doesn't fit, not sure how to reconcile that).

I think instead they are going to find that most of the people are far too cheap to pay and instead will switch to airlines that offer the upgrades.

Note: I don't fly to NY so this doesn't affect me

Also, perhaps we should bring this back on topic... has anyone actually been upgraded on these routes?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
On the 11:30am SFO -> JFK

At check in, one BE seat was claimed.

At the gate, the screen indicated that there had been 2 passengers cleared for "UP". One additional passenger was on the upgrade list. The GAs were not offering paid upgrades ("except by paying the ridiculous fare difference") and we're fully aware of the policy changes, telling me about how I was now eligible for Hawaii upgrades. They also said that it was now their policy to fly with BE less than full rather than give non rev upgrades. When a passenger came up to inquire about how there was an upgrade list and why she wasn't on it, the GA said she had not put anyone on.

At least one person appeared to be on the phone with delta. Appears he was trying to use a global upgrade coupon (or possibly a SWU?). Handed his phone to the ga, who said something like "these really need to be processed at least 24 hours in advance..." but then appeared to be working on getting him an upgrade anyways.

I'll reply again once we take off and report how many seats actually filled up.

I'm just a lowly silver, but at least I got an EC seat ;-) (off topic, but does anyone know why deltas seatmap lists only the left side of the plane as EC but in reality all rows from 19-22 are EC? 757-200E)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by appleguru
(off topic, but does anyone know why deltas seatmap lists only the left side of the plane as EC but in reality all rows from 19-22 are EC? 757-200E)
When they first rolled out EC on international and transcon routes only, it was only on the left side. I think it was a trial. As far as I know all a/c have been updated now to have it on both sides, but perhaps not?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure why you mentioned selling 17 last minute seats... the J cabin on the 752 for the SFO-JFK has 16 seats.

Even so, that leaves 10 open and it is most likely that non-revs got the available seats as HongKonger said.
It was a 6:45am flight coming off a 36 hour mileage run full of LAX related problems. Apparently I forgot how to count to 4 (or 6?)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by appleguru
On the 11:30am SFO -> JFK

At check in, one BE seat was claimed.

At the gate, the screen indicated that there had been 2 passengers cleared for "UP". One additional passenger was on the upgrade list. The GAs were not offering paid upgrades ("except by paying the ridiculous fare difference") and we're fully aware of the policy changes, telling me about how I was now eligible for Hawaii upgrades. They also said that it was now their policy to fly with BE less than full rather than give non rev upgrades. When a passenger came up to inquire about how there was an upgrade list and why she wasn't on it, the GA said she had not put anyone on.

At least one person appeared to be on the phone with delta. Appears he was trying to use a global upgrade coupon (or possibly a SWU?). Handed his phone to the ga, who said something like "these really need to be processed at least 24 hours in advance..." but then appeared to be working on getting him an upgrade anyways.

I'll reply again once we take off and report how many seats actually filled up.

I'm just a lowly silver, but at least I got an EC seat ;-) (off topic, but does anyone know why deltas seatmap lists only the left side of the plane as EC but in reality all rows from 19-22 are EC? 757-200E)
GA was telling you something to make you go away. DL's policy on the forward cabin hasnt changed (as of this morning per my conversation with a friend) WRT non-revs.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL - DM, AA, UA, HH, Hertz
Was on the 7:00 JFK-SFO last night and definitely saw at least two folks on the cleared list with "UP" and BE seat #s attached to their names. Not sure if they were global UG cert or SWU users. Didn't think to look but BE was pretty full.

The stampede of medallion gate lice at preboarding was pretty funny/sad.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA -1K, DL -Silver MM, Marriott - Titanium
Was on the 3/2 SEA - JFK flight and in first row of EC. Prior to boarding Delta app showed 6 available BE seats. Think at door close there were 3 or 4 available. Others were taken by non-revs

Usually first on the upgrade list as a DM and Reserve Card holder. Not saying I am leaving Delta, but the thought is starting to creep in.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sterno24
Indeind. As opposed to getting no additional revenue and just putting you up there for free? I would consider anyone paying extra a HVC. More so than the free upgrade that you are expecting...

Whenever I buy up on a P, A or G fare...I am treated as a HVC.

Please don't be jealous of others. It's rather unbecoming.
Sooo. By your definition, A, G, & P fares make one a HVC???

Tell that to the poor guy that had to buy a Y, B, M fare last minute and has to sit in back. A, G,& P are DISCOUNTED F fares, which are often only tens of dollars more than Y pricing.

Sure you get booked directly in FC, but tell me how valuable you are when IRROPS occur and you find yourself rebooked in Y on that A/G fare..

The elitist attitude of some on here is very unbecoming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.