Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Reuters now has an article claiming the elite exodus has begun.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3E1LP20140415

And it points out (as I posted earlier in this thread) top elites still get free Ug's on this route with AA and with UA using certs (of which more are given at UA).
The best quote in the article:
Delta spokesman Paul Skrbec notes that the company's change to its upgrade policy comes as the airline is making major investments to upgrade amenities on those routes. That includes seats that turn into beds, improved entertainment choices and "premium dining."

Well, uh, what good is the return on those investments if the cabin is full of... employees! LOL
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
How can 7 rows in 757 really be true BE???

Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are now available on flights between Hawaii and Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, or Seattle. But in light of significant investments in our coast-to-coast BusinessElite® experience, which include premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly® In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining, we no longer offer Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on flights between New York-JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.

How on earth can this be true??? "coast-to-coast BusinessElite® experience, which include premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly® In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining,...."

Look what I'm booked on for two weeks from now.... I did a K+SWU into OU. I don't really understand how this can be. Same for the 7:15A(DL442)...but there's 9+ left in OU for anyone!!! Can't remember when the 763 used to fly this route. Used to be daily, then just disappeared. I'm afraid some day a 739 will start showing up...

Do we still get the Westin blankets/pillows?

Since I'm now confirmed in OU, does anyone know if I can do a SDC for a 752 24hours out?

I'm booked on a 752 for the return. Seems the only NS SEA-JFK are only 752's to kennedy, but a mix of 752/757(7rows) out of JFK. No surprise any of the 752's had any no OU availability

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Would not say talking to 2 frequent flyers (appears that is all they did for this article) as mass exodus.
Well, I didn't say "mass" exodus.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are now available on flights between Hawaii and Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, or Seattle. But in light of significant investments in our coast-to-coast BusinessElite® experience, which include premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly® In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining, we no longer offer Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on flights between New York-JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.

How on earth can this be true??? "coast-to-coast BusinessElite® experience, which include premium amenities like fully flat-bed seats, Westin Heavenly® In-Flight Bedding, on-demand entertainment, and premium dining,...."

Look what I'm booked on for two weeks from now.... I did a K+SWU into OU. I don't really understand how this can be. Same for the 7:15A(DL442)...but there's 9+ left in OU for anyone!!! Can't remember when the 763 used to fly this route. Used to be daily, then just disappeared. I'm afraid some day a 739 will start showing up...

Do we still get the Westin blankets/pillows?

Since I'm now confirmed in OU, does anyone know if I can do a SDC for a 752 24hours out?

I'm booked on a 752 for the return. Seems the only NS SEA-JFK are only 752's to kennedy, but a mix of 752/757(7rows) out of JFK. No surprise any of the 752's had any no OU availability

[IMG][/IMG]
When you booked it, was it with the BE equipped 757? If not, you might not have a chance at changing to a BE equipped plane. I did the same as you, booked JFK to SEA in K and used miles to upgrade. If the planes happen to get downgraded to a first class config, then I plan on calling and politely asking to be switched to a 757 with BE or to fly through LAX or SFO on a BE configured plane. Delta is pretty good with these things and making changes, as long as it makes sense.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
When you booked it, was it with the BE equipped 757? If not, you might not have a chance at changing to a BE equipped plane. I did the same as you, booked JFK to SEA in K and used miles to upgrade. If the planes happen to get downgraded to a first class config, then I plan on calling and politely asking to be switched to a 757 with BE or to fly through LAX or SFO on a BE configured plane. Delta is pretty good with these things and making changes, as long as it makes sense.

I booked it knowing it was 7 rows... The only other one that had OU availability was also 7 rows. I can hope they change it out to a 4 row. It's really just the best way to do a TCON.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
I booked it knowing it was 7 rows... The only other one that had OU availability was also 7 rows. I can hope they change it out to a 4 row. It's really just the best way to do a TCON.
Because it says "Business Elite" on the seat map, and also because there have been indications that Delta is marketing Seattle as all flat bed BE service, you might be able to call and say that you want to be switched. Might work.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
The Official "I Got Upgraded": JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA Thread

Well with new Premium SDC, you can SDC to any other flight as long as they're J1. Even with a mileage upgrade/SWU
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
LAX-JFK

I booked tonight's LAX-JFK redeye roundtrip yesterday, and I called Delta today to ask to be put on the upgrade list. Of course, the rep told me that they were no longer allowing complimentary upgrades on LAX-JFK, so I asked if I could upgrade with miles. He said yes, but then he told me that all of the BE seats on the 10:45p flight were already sold. He then offered to switch me to the 11:30p flight and said he'd put me on a wait list to upgrade with miles at the gate. But, he said he couldn't get me a confirmed seat on the flight in my current class (which he said was required for same-day confirmed), so I'm waitlisted for a seat on the flight, but he said it's very likely that I'll make it on the flight and be able to upgrade to BE with miles at the gate. We'll see tonight. I'll report back.
-Hank
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Hankle
I booked tonight's LAX-JFK redeye roundtrip yesterday, and I called Delta today to ask to be put on the upgrade list. Of course, the rep told me that they were no longer allowing complimentary upgrades on LAX-JFK, so I asked if I could upgrade with miles. He said yes, but then he told me that all of the BE seats on the 10:45p flight were already sold. He then offered to switch me to the 11:30p flight and said he'd put me on a wait list to upgrade with miles at the gate. But, he said he couldn't get me a confirmed seat on the flight in my current class (which he said was required for same-day confirmed), so I'm waitlisted for a seat on the flight, but he said it's very likely that I'll make it on the flight and be able to upgrade to BE with miles at the gate. We'll see tonight. I'll report back.
-Hank
The hell you say! According to this thread, they are all going to nonrevs. Maybe they just cleared the list early
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
"The BusinessEmployee Experience."
- Lift Off in Luxury
- Luxury at Every Altitude

And... how many of the most loyal customers would want to dine with the cooks/servers/hosts chowing down at the table next to them??

If I were CEO for the day, without having access to financial and customer information, I'd make the following changes to BE US TCON:
- Premium Cabin for Premium CustomersTM
- DM's: complimentary upgrades (space available; at the gate)
- Platinum/Gold: dollars or miles for upgrades, graduated depending on fare class
- Silver: WBEBBE
- No employees
Why block employees? Once you've made it reasonable for medallions to get up front, the BusinessEmployee factor largely goes away.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The hell you say! According to this thread, they are all going to nonrevs. Maybe they just cleared the list early
I don't suppose you could actually quote someone else saying your strawman claim.

I've seen statements that over half the BE seats on specific flights went to non-revs. Do you have any data otherwise?

Or do you just prefer to argue against claims you make up?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
-Hank
good luck, this is unlikely going to work out.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
I don't suppose you could actually quote someone else saying your strawman claim.

I've seen statements that over half the BE seats on specific flights went to non-revs. Do you have any data otherwise?

Or do you just prefer to argue against claims you make up?
A little sarcasm in my post, but you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
-Hank
Hate to say it but,

#1. Flight is operated with a 75E with angled seats
#2. You can't upgrade at the gate with miles.

Enjoy coach to JFK.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
A little sarcasm in my post, but you know EXACTLY what I am talking about.
Even before this last change (pre-March 1), there were flights with no upgrades available (J sold out). Whether or not there are more such flights now, I have no way of knowing. Does anyone who is willing to post it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.