Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lamont2718
This might not stick around for a while. I just noticed new language (not previously announced?) in the "Same Day Standby Upgrades" section at the bottom of this page: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html
Wow way to go DL making it substantially more complicated for those standby upgrades. Notice how the cost is up across the board too.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:02 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sprock33243
LAX - JFK today Sat 8:30am upgrade aval for $239.00
Oy vey. Is there any indication about order/priority/fare class? Or is it the first person to the gate with the availability gets the upgrade? This is going to turn into a zoo. I would gladly buy a 189 dollar V fare (standardish for this route) and upgrade for 239. That's less than the Q+ fare I use to buy to try and have a good shot at a medallion upgrade.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Gold, Hertz PC (Prefer Silvercar)
I'm booking a flight I usually would take with Delta. But you know what, I'm going American this time and probably for the rest of em. Might as well start building the transfer now.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Wow way to go DL making it substantially more complicated for those standby upgrades. Notice how the cost is up across the board too.
And it doesn't say whether said upgrade costs will count toward MQD...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Upgrade List?

With complimentary's no longer on these routes does the upgrade list still appear on the Delta Mobile App with your positioning? How are they determining who gets first chance at the DOD $$ upgrade opportunity? Did they just announce it to everyone? Or is it available for purchase on the App or website?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
This is going to be a great thread as time goes on. I'm going to love hearing from the privileged few who spend their flights in near-empty BE cabins far from the unwashed masses with a personal FA. No cheap kettle upgrades or non-revs will ever be there with them. That's what the elitists told us, and they're always right.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:27 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by us2
Looking forward to trashing those expectations by dropping my NRSA butt into the seat next to them.
This thread has gone far off topic...

Thankfully, I do not fly this route. How could anyone in the New York area willingly fly DL to the west coast nonstop, given all the other options, knowing that you have no chance for an upgrade, and instead, that DL staff on vacation will be getting them?

I've switched to laughing, it hurts less.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Plat, Ambassador, Hertz Five Star
I wonder what the availability is on weekends versus weekdays. I do the JFK/SFO flight during the week a fair bit, and, from my observations, BE is often sold out completely or substantially.

Looking forward to the observations on the buy up option. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pull the trigger -- it is far, far cheaper than the business tickets.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:19 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
And it doesn't say whether said upgrade costs will count toward MQD...
When I purchased EC for a CDG-SLC trip last year when I was a GM they counted it towards my 2015 MQDs when I took the trip a few weeks ago.

I would imagine they would count it as it is pure profit.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HongKonger
This is going to be a great thread as time goes on. I'm going to love hearing from the privileged few who spend their flights in near-empty BE cabins far from the unwashed masses with a personal FA. No cheap kettle upgrades or non-revs will ever be there with them. That's what the elitists told us, and they're always right.
I always found it odd that the premium service BE flights allowed UGs while the standard domestic service Hawaii flights didn't. That situation is now reversed. Perhaps the thread should be re-titled "The Official 'I Got Upgraded': HNL/OGG-LAX/SFO/SEA/SLC Thread"
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
I am on the 7pm JFK to SFO today. I had a FLL-MSP-SFO leg all in first this evening, but they told me I could grab a much earlier seat on an FLL-JFK (sat in first) and then a JFK SFO where there were 8 Biz still available. I switched up and was upgraded on both legs ahead of time. Then my FLL flight was delayed an hour and I missed my initial 4pm SFO departure, now I am on the 7, and the folks at Skyclub here were having trouble getting me onto the upgrade list, 8 biz class seats open again they say.

Just looked this up after having no luck with sky club and sure enough I am seeing this change now, should have kept my legs in first!

Will report back on any findings. (I imagine on oversold flights they will start doing op up's. Interested to see if anything happens with my Diamond status on this trip, luckily I don't fly this leg often anymore!
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Yes. I will be sure to report how great it is. I am so sick of the whining about all these changes. After diluting skyclubs, first class and the elite ranks for the past 15-20 years, I am happy to see Skymiles going the direction it is. It will finally be like it was in the mid 90s....quieter skyclubs and less people to bother me up front. If we could go back to those 800 mile certificates that would be even better and help rid of the upgrade entitlement mentality that is ingrained in this freaking forum.

When I travel it's always last minute and high priced fares. The changes are perfect for me.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfw
This thread has gone far off topic...

Thankfully, I do not fly this route. How could anyone in the New York area willingly fly DL to the west coast nonstop, given all the other options, knowing that you have no chance for an upgrade, and instead, that DL staff on vacation will be getting them?

I've switched to laughing, it hurts less.
I go to SEA, and I don't see any nonstops out of JFK other than AA, and not nearly as many. I travel to JFK from Connecticut and getting to EWR would be a gigantic pain.

And for that route Delta is usually cheap like you would not even believe, for my tickets. I understand, though, that other people have a lot more choices.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I am SOOOOO glad that I punted DL last year... best travel decision I have ever made, by far. That said I am sure that the other legacy carriers aren't far behind with numerous "enhancements"...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by AirTheory
Oy vey. Is there any indication about order/priority/fare class? Or is it the first person to the gate with the availability gets the upgrade? This is going to turn into a zoo. I would gladly buy a 189 dollar V fare (standardish for this route) and upgrade for 239. That's less than the Q+ fare I use to buy to try and have a good shot at a medallion upgrade.
The GIDS has always noted that paid UGs at the gate require K-class or higher. I'd be surprised if they changed that for these transcons. I don't see these paid UG opportunities often because it has previously required all Medallions to clear first. Obviously the transcons don't require that any longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.