Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AAdvantage
Big loss

There is no way I can continue to be a medallion flyer of any kind.

This year, for example, I will get about 55,000 medallion miles for two trips SFO-DBX, a SF0-VIE run, and 1 SFO-DTW.

The same trip next year will net me only 19,000 miles, not even Silver.

A pox on Delta after 20 years of getting all my business. Ugly.
Starting next year it's United all the way.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:46 pm

So how much money on fares (including taxes) will someone have to spend on Delta fares to get to diamond status? I realize that tax money does not go towards elite status but you ultimately will still have to pay taxes.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Blessed will be those who work in senior positions at large corporations and other such entities with generous travel policies. Vanquished will be those who work for more $ conscious employers, the retired, and the frequent leisure flyer who pays out of his/her own pocket. Kinda reflects the current ethos of the American economy: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer!
I agree completely.

Disregard the class warfare implied by this post, the underlying effect described is undeniable.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Blessed will be those who work in senior positions at large corporations and other such entities with generous travel policies. Vanquished will be those who work for more $ conscious employers, the retired, and the frequent leisure flyer who pays out of his/her own pocket.
Yes, flying F and BE and earning status and loads of RDMs all paid for with OPM must be nice!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by writeguysf
There is no way I can continue to be a medallion flyer of any kind.

This year, for example, I will get about 55,000 medallion miles for two trips SFO-DBX, a SF0-VIE run, and 1 SFO-DTW.

The same trip next year will net me only 19,000 miles, not even Silver.

A pox on Delta after 20 years of getting all my business. Ugly.
Starting next year it's United all the way.
This was a change to redeemable miles, not qualifying miles. Though there is no info yet on how qualifying miles will be impacted when it comes to stuff like fare bonuses
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
At this point...just LOL @ how many people don't understand that MQMs are not changing.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Please make sure to note the domestic/international mix when posting how you are affected; this change seems to make Delta dramatically more attractive for domestic travel than for international at first glance.

In my case, as a primarily international earner and redeemer, I'm affected by needing to relearn program rules on a new airline, likely American (so I can continue flying AS)...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
At this point...just LOL @ how many people don't understand that MQMs are not changing.
Yeah, for 2015. But it's pretty obvious that once RDMs no longer have any connection to "flown miles X multiplier" and are just "$ X Multiplier", that MQMs will be eliminated in favor of an MQD-only system.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by AKABrownBear

Just got off the phone with Delta Diamond desk, the change is for MQMs also.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I probably won't make Diamond again in 2015, I carried over enough miles this year and have some international trips that will get me there again for the 2015 year. The new RDM rules in 2015 will negatively affect me. I, nor my company, cannot/will not afford to pay the business class fares or even Y, J etc higher class fares. I'm sure on occasion I will come out ahead on a few short leg flights; however if I'm going to fly 20K miles on Delta and only get 10K redeemable miles for my trip, I'd rather go to another carrier and get redeemable miles from them for the distance I flew, I can join any other program out there and find the best deal and use their mileage program.

I'll probably do a mileage run or 2 this year if a good enough deal comes along to earn the total miles flown PLUS the bonus miles, these will all be good going forward per the website, and then use them up for some great trips in the future. Example my trips JFK - JNB earned me 42K total miles and my upcoming China trip will earn me 30K+ total miles that I will be able to use for future personal travel. These same trips next year will not even net me 20K redemable miles combined.

AND Delta has stated the lowest redemable round trip ticket will still start at 25K.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I'm not sure how I am impacted yet till I see the "new and improved" award redemption levels.

These past few years I have been on a redeeming spree for my air travels, and wouldn't know what this change will mean to me till I look at my award travel options.

Delta does say though that there will be more availability.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:37 pm

The new MQD's for Diamond status in 2015 is $25,000.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by guttermeat
Just got off the phone with Delta Diamond desk, the change is for MQMs also.
That wasn't included with the changes announced and doesn't make sense, since pac who are higher level tier would be earning more and makes it more difficult for someone new to get in to a higher tier.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by knit-in
Delta does say though that there will be more availability.
Yeah, and they said there would be more award availability after the 72hr rule went into effect also. How'd that work out?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
Low cost longhaul tkts. Even with Plat and Amex, DL will lose my biz.
If UA follows, will fly less.
It's a shame, since I was planning on shifting 25000 from UA to DL this yr, dropping from 1K to Plat on UA, because of full m$s waiver on amex reserve. UA only waives thru Plat.
With miles inflation and now lower earns, miles mean nothing. :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.