Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
There is less than 3 months left in 2014 and they STILL have not released partner mileage accrual rates yet for 2015?!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If I have the option of flying with DL from NYC/PHL-Taiwan roundtrip this year, is it worth getting those miles even if I don't plan to fly DL at all next year? Clearly, the priority is not status.

Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:56 pm

Horrible!

So, if you pay $1500 to fly 15,000 miles, now you will only earn 7500 miles?

This is horrible! They should change the name to SkyDollars instead of SkyMILES!!!!

If this is true, I'm going to use up all my miles and change airlines!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:17 am

can we assume you can also obtain a one-way award on a partner in 2015 and will they be available at different levels? I might be wrong but it seems at this time they're either available at the lower level or not at all.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SkyPilot3
So, if you pay $1500 to fly 15,000 miles, now you will only earn 7500 miles?

This is horrible! They should change the name to SkyDollars instead of SkyMILES!!!!

If this is true, I'm going to use up all my miles and change airlines!
the new program clearly benefits business travelers who spend a LOT more on tickets
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Mowcheeba
I'm expecting the worse and hoping it won't be too bad. If so I will switch to Flying Blue since I already do fly more with AF/KLM. Not a good FF program but depending on how bad Skymiles will get in 2015 it might be worth it.
You do realize (with Flying Blue), that you earn (RDM, Redeemable Award Miles) as low as 25% for the lowest Flying Blue fare classes.

So, a 5549 mile trip from AMS-LAX earns as low as 1389 RDMs (for base, with a high of 2779 for Platinum)

On the "plus side," some consider it easier to qualify for FB Gold and Platinum. And, European based FB Platinums can "easily" gift a friend/relative FB Platinum, if they have the correct AMEX Flying Blue product. (so, two FB Platinums (with benefits) for one qualification)

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That sums up my sentiments exactly.

I've trained myself hard to expect nothing but the very worst from Dullta, thus hopefully feeling good at each round of the weekly "enhancements" in thinking that "oh, it's not as bad as I thought it could be."

But wait, I think that is what Dullta wants us to do. So I've fallen into their trap after all.
I "think" you can expect partner earnings (RDMs) to align with the current Flying Blue model of 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% depending on fare class.

Originally Posted by alrvd83
the new program clearly benefits business travelers who spend a LOT more on tickets
That is exactly the idea.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
This is not bad at all. I won't have any status next year, but if I were to buy a r/t K fare TLV-LAS I would only have to pay $1474 and would get 7370 SkyMiles.

Then, after making only 19 such trips, if I am really lucky I would be able to find a "Saver" award ticket for Biz Elite.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:37 pm

SkyDollars

Then I have an idea: If you travel within the USA, you should earn miles based on the price. But if you travel international, you should earn miles based on miles.

Honestly, I am sooo dissappointed in this 2015 program.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Then I have an idea: If you travel within the USA, you should earn miles based on the price. But if you travel international, you should earn miles based on miles.

Honestly, I am sooo dissappointed in this 2015 program.
But again, its geared toward business travelers. When I travel internationally, my company lets us book business class. When flight tickets get as high as $5000- $9000, this new program significantly works in my favor.

I flew to Sao Paulo last Fall, and after doing the math, I would've gotten at least 25K more pts off this new program....mainly because my flight was around $6000.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:16 pm

SkyDollars

But again, its geared toward business travelers. When I travel internationally, my company lets us book business class. When flight tickets get as high as $5000- $9000, this new program significantly works in my favor.

I flew to Sao Paulo last Fall, and after doing the math, I would've gotten at least 25K more pts off this new program....mainly because my flight was around $6000.
Well, then, how about this: Use the 2015 Program for every flight.
However, if the amount of miles flown is greater than the SkyMiles you
would receive based on the ticket price, then Delta would defer to the
previous SkyMiles program.

In this way, the loyal Delta customer would always win, whether he's a business man or a poor man (like most of us).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:27 pm

In this way, the loyal Delta customer would always win, whether he's a business man or a poor man (like most of us).
That would be the perfect scenario...I guess Delta ran their corporate model and this new 2015 program won out.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE

Delta doesn't want to reward all loyal customers. They just want to reward their most profitable loyal customers.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Business

Originally Posted by Howste
Delta doesn't want to reward all loyal customers. They just want to reward their most profitable loyal customers.
I understand that's business. But it's not, in my opinion, expressing appreciation for every loyal customer. I've been a loyal customer of Delta for over 20 years. But I could have easily shifted my loyalty to another airline. It would be nice if the leaders of Delta would acknowledge that. The 2015 SkyMiles program does not honor loyalty.

I wonder what would happen if all the not-profitable loyal customers stopped flying Delta altogether. I reckon Delta would go out of business.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:44 am

I wonder what would happen if all the not-profitable loyal customers stopped flying Delta altogether. I reckon Delta would go out of business.
Southwest has been getting most of my business this year. From the Q3 financials, Delta does not seem to be missing me at all.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
They adjust the program as the economy changes. I don't always like what they do, but for some reason they do it anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.