2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: Delta DM
So at the rate I spent last year (MQD) vs the miles posted I would have came out ahead on this new platform. Guess we need to see what it really is going to do for us. 180k (old) vs 360k (new).

This year current spend would put me at 11,000 more miles than what I have been awarded so far.

Still have my doubts. Maybe its time to start spending those miles!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
No you won't, the way MQMs are earned isn't changing.
I changed my OP prior to you quoting, notice i specifically say WOULDN'T change MQM...

That being said after using the calc on the website, I like this change. Paying ridiculous fares for refundable tickets 3 hours before a flight is going to start paying off for me.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Agree with everyone who has said they want to see the redemption charts. If it was a good news story they would have shared it. Trouble is afoot.
Even if the redemption charts stay teh same, most people will lose out big time on this. The only ones who have any shot of getting more out of this are those who spend other people's mney on expensive tickets. I suppose that's the idea.

The other thing is that the program is going to be so complex that most people will have absolutely no idea how it works. I suppse DL is counting on that...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by finny52
For DL the risk of going to FBATR is that the credit card program will really be no more valuable than any of the multitude of credit cards out there. The reason that DL CC is so valuable is that there is an arbitrage opportunity using points for O fares.

Once they do this there's no reason to stay loyal at all...
I suspect that most FFers redeem for domestic coach award tickets, although some aim for an international trip of a lifetime while high tier elites are more likely to do both paid and award international travel.

OTOH, the folks who do MRs and MS probably are hoping to snare an major international redemption in at least business class (if they can't do IFC on another alliance). They're probably not HVCs or loyal in the traditional sense, so DL doesn't gain much from giving out such award tickets that nevertheless have been earned. It's helpful to DL that it's credit card partner AmEx has had some rules that discourage or prevent churning.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Even if the redemption charts stay teh same, most people will lose out big time on this. The only ones who have any shot of getting more out of this are those who spend other people's mney on expensive tickets. I suppose that's the idea.
Yeah, I don't really "Like" spending $1400 on a RT ticket between Charleston and Birmingham, but when my boss calls me on Easter Sunday and tells me to get there in <8 hours. I am required to buy refundable cause he might call me back in 2 hours and say don't go. It is just a business expense. But, to Delta is a huge money maker.

I RARELY get upgrades because by the time I buy a ticket everything but gate upgrades are done, which is fine, but at least now, I'll get something out of it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Like any change, everyone will be effected differently.

The way I see it, if you fly on cheap tickets you lose. If you fly on expensive tickets you gain.

My travel is a mixture of J international and cheap domestic. So on international trips I might get 75,000 and domestic trips I get a little less than I do now or around the same depending on the route.

Based on my travel patterns this could actually be better. And the increased availability and one way awards is a good thing. HOWEVER...

Any discussion at this point is useless because we don't know what the new award structure is. Without that you are just guessing. If you are panicking, you are being irrational. If you are rejoicing, you need a healthy dose of skepticism. If the new structure is not too far off what it is now, I would see this as a win based on my travel patterns. I would expect the redemption prices to increase...the question is how much. We just don't know.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Feb 26, 2014 at 6:49 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Are DL Amex bonuses included in that per-ticket limit?
Good question. I had automatically assumed not, but when I think about how and when the AmEx miles post, it's not at all obvious to me that we should expect this. Also, I don't think AmEx and DL would want to almost penalize those who travel on BE or extremely expensive long haul coach fares for having DL AmEx cards.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 26, 2014 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta DM
For those that want to burn and leave SkyMiles, Please do! But like all the articles said, most of the other airlines will follow suite. I'm contemplating starting in April to fly another airline and get status with them just to have a back up, but today's plan might be the worst one out there today but might be the best one out there in two or three years!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
Tell me if I am doing this wrong, but it seems like you could actually get high status for significantly cheaper.

On my typical route which consists of Minneapolis-Amsterdam-Berlin, I could technically hit diamond in 3 flights by spending $15k (3 first class tickets). It takes nearly $30k just to make Platinum as it stands.

Last edited by Monoliths; Feb 26, 2014 at 6:39 am Reason: speling
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I remember posting 2 years ago that this was the direction the program was going after speaking with Medallion Reps. All I heard then was "Never Happen", "BS", etc..

You know who you are!

Just have to say, I TOLD YOU SO!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
The number discussed today have nothing to do with elite status. Only RDM earn.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
For those that want to burn and leave SkyMiles, Please do! But like all the articles said, most of the other airlines will follow suite. I'm contemplating starting in April to fly another airline and get status with them just to have a back up, but today's plan might be the worst one out there today but might be the best one out there in two or three years!
Not true. I fly German carriers a lot and while their systems are harder to level up than Delta, it's not complicated and its in no danger of changing either.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Monoliths
Tell me if I am doing this wrong, but it seems like you could actually get high status for significantly cheaper.

On my typical route which consists of Minneapolis-Amsterdam-Berlin, I could technically hit diamond in 3 flights by spending $15k (3 first class tickets). It takes nearly $30k just to make Platinum as it stands.
the same MQM rules would apply _--those are just the redeemable miles you would earn
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater

The changes are for redeemable miles, not qualifying miles.

One thing to keep in mind with the calculator - the example you showed with $5000 from MSP-TXL is most likely for J, so you have to also add the class of service bonus to the old number for it to be accurate. The new calc you still come out ahead, but not by as much as this makes it look.

With a cheap Y fare on this route you would lose.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

MQMs are earned the same as they are now - based on distance of flight. The calc and this change only pertain to redeemable miles (not qualifying miles).

You will still need to spend and fly the same to reach Medallion as you do now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.